Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What's the difference seriously? He was a scumbag elitist as a player too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munchimunchi View Post

am guessing he stopped playing the game and truly see what real gamers want from the game
    What?

And what if you do get Ion the player?

Will people then just accuse him of 'lawyer speak' because he doesn't say what they want?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

That video looks like the place where M+ was concieved and I can now totally see where the idea for it came from. M+ is one of the best things to happen to WoW because it opens up an uphill curve to learning to get better at your class and spec in various situations, while being an additional type of content for players to play through.

Ion is doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned, but they absolutely do need to make major improvements in various aspects of two things; spec design and Azerite gear.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    They are making decisions based on making the expansion/patch hoppers sub for longer, this has been the case for awhile now, it doesnt take designer level studies or experience to see it.

It worked perfectly with Legion, its semi-working with BFA, but there are many factors/errors in and its not as easy as Legion.

My reality with WoW is that there is a good ~5-6m playerbase (counting Asian servers) that has WoW as their main game, they re-sub often, or rarely unsub, etc etc.

And there is the rest, i wont put a number cause you cant really know but they are the majority.

They will resub at some point of the expansion, consume the content and disappear till the next one, this completely varies for each period/patch/person.

If this majority resubs for a second or third month because they decided to grind something, or to see something, its where the lots of $$ comes from.

Their design and targeting, is those people, not the "We will sub either way!" 5-6mil players.

Hence all this time gating, it works better than people think.
    very accurate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ion was responsible for heading up legion.

He doesn't need to change, they just need to admint their mistakes (which he will at the end of the xpac, and he does basically every month) and move on.

5+ Year Old Account
    We need to ship Ion back to Greece and strand him on an island with horny, overweight Albanian males.

That'd be karmic justice.

Do you really think that guy doesn't go into important meetings most of the day saying "Yes Sir!"?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapporius View Post
    We actually don't need Ion. We need someone sensible/creative/charismatic instead.
    Chris Metzen, we need you now more than ever! Save us. Save WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    am guessing he stopped playing the game
    Well, according to the Armory, he's 4/8 on Mythic Uldir with his 378 Resto Shaman. Though raiding seems to be pretty much his sole focus judging from his achievements.

TBH I wish every single player was forced to work as a game dev for a week. So many people have no idea what it's like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Is there any proof that's him in that video? Doubt that guy actuall every played WoW.
    I mean he got hired in the first place because he ran Elitist Jerks guild and website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Chris Metzen wasn't game director, he was creative director. He worked on story, not gameplay.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2018-10-20 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    he Problem with Players Like Ion Hazzikostas, or even players like Asmongold is: they are on the wrong end of the food chain to ask for advises to make the game for the majority. Do people really think that this game gains track (as in "regaining player popularity") when you listen to the smallest, the most dedicated and sometimes (more often than not) the most toxic players? Those so called "progamers" are a very good source to ask for feedback for class balance, ability tuning, and even finetuning the hardest dungeons and raids. But the y fail horribly when it comes to things "the average gamer" or the "majority of players" wants, better said needs to stay with the game. Over the years since WotLk we saw the power gap between "progamers" and "Casual gamers" spread wider and wider. For PvE it was mainly because of some loud minority "pro- and semiprogamers" started to wine about people getting the last seasons/last raid equip they "earned by working so hard" for badges. Blizz should have never listened to that. Simply because giving the best to dedicated progamers doesn't work when there is a gap of almost 2 or 3 stages in between this and what the average gamer gets. It is also a not really bright idea to think about mechanics you can push upon players in oder to make them sub longer, instead... you know, think about mechanics the players can enjoy, staying subbed longer in the process of enjoying.

Since WotLk we saw many many many mechanics being introduce that have the purpose of getting people to "learn" how to play more dedicated, to learn how to want "success" in the game. You can't force or trying to force a certain playstyle onto different types of players to fit the way "you think the game should be enjoyed". That doesn't work at all. Instead the devs should see what worked for the masses and improve that, not trying to regulate that even further. Mechanics nowa days are planned from the wrong end and it is only natural that they don't work all to good. Sure, WoW is an old game, but it could at least have double the playerbase that it actually has, easily. And it could easily surpass that number, becoming a very relevant product AND a good game loved by many again. The mechanics are there, just need minor tweakings..... and some not so minor tweakings.

I don't say those people are on the wrong spot (like Ion Hazzikostas). I just think that they need to step back (not from the job) and shift perspectives a lot, looking at mechanics from many totally different perspectives of player types. And there are many more playertypes between those "who always play, pushing the limits" and those "who want everything mailed to them without doing anything". Those two are just the most extreme ends of the spectrum of many many many different types of players. And there have always been those many types since 2004 and even before that.
    The biggest issue raised by people like Asmongold or like minded people is the fact that you are literally forcing us to play against artificial limitations that just have no reason to exist other than to prevent the casual player with less time to fall to far behind, this isn't healthy for the game, the "noobs" in vanilla didn't unsub because they didn't have enough time to catch up to the <1% raiding naxx they just did the content they did have enough time for, and to this day the "exclusive" naxx40 is still remembered more fondly than it really should be.

Its not just about perspective or the difference in players but rather there should be content for everyone, ranging from the extremely dedicated person wanting to spend 8+ hours a day in the game or the extreme casual who only has less than 1 hour to play, this doesn't and shouldn't be solved by "closing the gap" artificially because at the end of the day the casual has the same experience and all it does is serve to drag everyone else down.

As someone who has played this game since Vanilla i wish i could convey that as annoying as the rep grinds for things like furbolgs used to be, it was really nothing compared to how burned out i get having to wait each day for a daily reset to finish Champions of Azeroth. It just completely trashes my motivation to keep going.

I find the current state of the game to be a complete failure on Blizzards part to attempt to capture the RNG aspect that makes games like Path of Exile appealing, I guess i shouldn't be surprised given the state of Diablo 3.

GGG actually seems to fundamentally understand what makes and drives people to play games with a super heavy RNG element, that is, no matter what, when loot drops its *usually almost always useful to someone* even if that someone is not you, this style of game is simply incompatible with World of Warcraft and instead all we get is the bad aspects of a system like this with very little of the good parts.

am guessing he stopped playing the game and truly see what real gamers want from the game
    I want TBC gameplay back, IDGAF about Ion being a player or game director.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    Couldn't you argue that those two are somewhat connected? I mean, a displeased player is less likely to play the game
    Thing is can you please the players?

If you add new features and try to shake up the status quo, people whine that it's not the same game.

If you coast on a succesfull expansion, people whine that you're not doing enough.

If you do both, people whine about both at the same time.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by kenoathcarn View Post
    The biggest issue raised by people like Asmongold or like minded people is the fact that you are literally forcing us to play against artificial limitations that just have no reason to exist other than to prevent the casual player with less time to fall to far behind, this isn't healthy for the game, the "noobs" in vanilla didn't unsub because they didn't have enough time to catch up to the <1% raiding naxx they just did the content they did have enough time for, and to this day the "exclusive" naxx40 is still remembered more fondly than it really should be.

Its not just about perspective or the difference in players but rather there should be content for everyone, ranging from the extremely dedicated person wanting to spend 8+ hours a day in the game or the extreme casual who only has less than 1 hour to play, this doesn't and shouldn't be solved by "closing the gap" artificially because at the end of the day the casual has the same experience and all it does is serve to drag everyone else down.

As someone who has played this game since Vanilla i wish i could convey that as annoying as the rep grinds for things like furbolgs used to be, it was really nothing compared to how burned out i get having to wait each day for a daily reset to finish Champions of Azeroth. It just completely trashes my motivation to keep going.

I find the current state of the game to be a complete failure on Blizzards part to attempt to capture the RNG aspect that makes games like Path of Exile appealing, I guess i shouldn't be surprised given the state of Diablo 3.

GGG actually seems to fundamentally understand what makes and drives people to play games with a super heavy RNG element, that is, no matter what, when loot drops its *usually almost always useful to someone* even if that someone is not you, this style of game is simply incompatible with World of Warcraft and instead all we get is the bad aspects of a system like this with very little of the good parts.
    comparing GGG to blizzard is not fair though.

that's like comparing the single best game current game developer company to a soulless shill of a corporation motivated by nothing but numbers and charts that focuses more on tricking players into playing than making them actually enjoy it.

oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    Do you even play the game? Most changes that have been made since WOD aren't for "pro gamers"(LOL). They don't enjoy titanforge, they didn't enjoy the legendary lottery, they didn't enjoy being "forced" to do world quests, they didn't enjoy AP grinds or enforced personal loot. All these changes have been made for plebs. It has also never been this easy to have mythic raider ilvl, cosmetics without actually raiding mythic.
    Holy shit, right? This guy is like in some strange world where They let hardcore players take over WoW and not corporate blowhards who only care about numbers.

Fucking WTB Ghostcrawler and the old team back.
    Last edited by Perkunas; 2018-10-20 at 02:37 AM.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

That dude's become a blizzard bot.

Hey, Ion Hazzikostas the player is still around. He just nerfs the parts of the encounter he tards out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    Couldn't you argue that those two are somewhat connected? I mean, a displeased player is less likely to play the game
    Shhhh. Don't try to bring logic to these idiots.
    They still shove money at a game they loathe to the point where it deteriorates their mental state, remind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty tome View Post
    I don't think there is a going back for live wow. What we are seeing is the result of chasing phone gamers for half a decade. It's time to peacefully sunset live and move on to classic.
    No one but the most braindead hardcore fanatics give two shits about Classic. Get real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Chris Metzen was the story director for Warcraft as a fantasy, the Tolkien of Warcraft basically. He did jack all with the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    comparing GGG to blizzard is not fair though.

that's like comparing the single best game current game developer company to a soulless shill of a corporation motivated by nothing but numbers and charts that focuses more on tricking players into playing than making them actually enjoy it.

oh wait.
    What is GGG?

He seems like he'd be far better as a QA type of guy than a creative leader.

The guy before him was worse though so he's a step forward at least.