Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    No, it isnt. Whole costs more because it has more milk solids in it which are used for other products. Milkfats is where the money is, and thats whats removed to make lower % milks. Hence 1, 2% and no fat milk being progressively cheaper.
    The process of removing Milkfats cost money too.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    The process of removing Milkfats cost money too.
    That cost is equal for all milk though, as all milk fat is removed and replaced during processing.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I've explained this before, they take different cells from animal (muscle, fat, etc), stimulate their divison with a growth serum (currently fetal growth serum from cows is being used, but scientists are working on a slaughterings alternative) and artificially 'massage' the meat to simulate what happens to flesh with animals moving.
    So... how many pregnat cows do they have to slaughter to get enough serum to make one chicken worth of lab grown meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So... how many pregnat cows do they have to slaughter to get enough serum to make one chicken worth of lab grown meat?
    Not sure, although again there is currently work on a more ethical and efficient alternative growth formula.

It's threads like this that might one day make me go vegetarian.

When humanity needs to start making meat in labs because we've out sourced most animals' natural habitats, even farmable ones, you know we've done something wrong.

Over-eating, wasteful habits, and destroying the planet's natural ecosystem is going to be our legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Over-eating, wasteful habits, and destroying the planet's natural ecosystem is going to be our legacy.
    It doesn't have to be though and the fact that even a tiny minority of people can recognize that gives me hope for humanity (pessimism isn't very constructive after all).

It doesn't have to be though and the fact that even a tiny minority of people can recognize that gives me hope for humanity (pessimism isn't very constructive after all).
    I try to be optimistic but if we reached this point, it's more like a sad reality.

Consciously eating lab meat like this would be where I'd stop eating meat.

Not sure, although again there is currently work on a more ethical and efficient alternative growth formula.
    I'm sure they are working on it.
    The problem with these things, however, is always when they are overdone, which inevitably happens when idologies and advertising comes into play.

We have a lot of time, still, to get this right.
    Suddenly cutting back severly on lifestock would come with all kinds of secondary problems.
    I have seen countless examples where people tried to "do the right thing" and introduced sudden change but didn't think far enough before they did so.

Just look at how they overisolated houses in some regions and then had to spend more energy than before to get rid of the water human habitation caused to condense on the walls or have them turn uninhabitable due to toxic mildew. Because if you make those houses airtight you stop heat from escaping, but you also keep in the water that stream of heat would have carried outside. To combat that you have to build in ventilators that cause heat loss and take energy to run. If you add in the energy it took to get the house into this state to begin with then you discover that you have wasted quite a bit.

Then there is the issue of senlessly "saving water" in Central Europe, which does more harm than help.
    You cannot ferry off that water to where it is needed, and not using it negatively affects the enviroment that has gotten used to the usage and negatively affects the whole severage system. It even makes water costs more, and the worst effect? Those extra costs are usually paid by those who do not cause them and those who do pay less.

This is just two examples, and I'm sure this one can turn out the same unless it is handled carefully.
    We do not have enough planets to rush experiements on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I'm sure they are working on it.
    The problem with these things, however, is always when they are overdone, which inevitably happens when idologies and advertising comes into play.

We have a lot of time, still, to get this right.
    Suddenly cutting back severly on lifestock would come with all kinds of secondary problems.
    I have seen countless examples where people tried to "do the right thing" and introduced sudden change but didn't think far enough before they did so.
    At our current rate, it would take approximately 5 to 7 million years to allow the Earth to return to the state of biodiversity and fauna size that existed before humans migrated across the world. How much time do we really have to mitigate climate change and mass extinctions among other things?

Where are we in term of clean meat industry?

Josh Tetrick, CEO of clean meat manufacturer JUST (the one on OP video link) estimated "before the end of 2018 is an accurate timeline" for some products to be offered in a number of restaurants in the United States and Asia, starting with chicken nuggets, sausage and foie gras. The price for would be roughly $40 per plate. A bit obnoxious for me, but reasonable for high end restaurants.

He believes that we will see clean meat on store shelves by 2021. Though his first hamburger in 2013 was $330,000, he claims that when it is offered to the public, it will be around $11 for a hamburger. Ugh!

Still, they are moving pretty fast. Especially with large meat conglomerates like Tyson and Cargill investing heavily in the industry.

I recall a friend of mine slaughtering a chicken on her farm...Fresh meat always tastes good.

I suggest you go watch the movie "dominion". It IS the norm.

I'll eat my steak and enjoy it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I hope you can afford the $20 a pound that it will probably cost once it hits the market. Livestock is cheap. Science made meat is expensive.
    Now,; sure, once it is refined and mass produced it won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Where are we in term of clean meat industry?

Josh Tetrick, CEO of clean meat manufacturer JUST (the one on OP video link) estimated "before the end of 2018 is an accurate timeline" for some products to be offered in a number of restaurants in the United States and Asia, starting with chicken nuggets, sausage and foie gras. The price for would be roughly $40 per plate. A bit obnoxious for me, but reasonable for high end restaurants.

He believes that we will see clean meat on store shelves by 2021. Though his first hamburger in 2013 was $330,000, he claims that when it is offered to the public, it will be around $11 for a hamburger. Ugh!

Still, they are moving pretty fast. Especially with large meat conglomerates like Tyson and Cargill investing heavily in the industry.
    $40 a plate? Sheesh, forget it. When it becomes $1 a pound at Walmart give me a call.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Now,; sure, once it is refined and mass produced it won't be.
    It would need a solid consumer/customer base before that could happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It's threads like this that might one day make me go vegetarian.

When humanity needs to start making meat in labs because we've out sourced most animals' natural habitats, even farmable ones, you know we've done something wrong.

A legacy that won't matter when the human race is extinct.

just saying, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It would need a solid consumer/customer base before that could happen.
    Sure, it takes time... just like with everything "new".

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I recall a friend of mine slaughtering a chicken on her farm...Fresh meat always tastes good.
    Despite how I've made myself seem, I'm actually not against killing animals for meat, but I think modern agriculture will have to switch over to cultured meat to allow for sustainable, mass meat consumption.

Still, I'm not against hunting and I believe that this alongside vertical farming or urban agriculture could benefit hunters as it may clear enough space for say, the (partial) restoration of the Great Plains. Imagine walking the pristine grasslands that existed a few centuries ago, with bison numbering in the millions alongside pronghorn, elk, moose, gray wolves, bears and even mustangs.

I know it's a bit ironic, allowing an ecosystem that has been fragmented to restore itself and then hunting recovering species, but as long as it's controlled (i.e. hunting seasons, bag limits, hunting males), I see it as a welcome way to allow individuals to reconnect to nature.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    why dont you just grow a chicken without a brain
    Still includes a lot of unnecessary bits you don't need. Bones, feathers, organs, cartilage, etc. Most of that will be disposed of, though the organs might be grinded into some sort of pet food or something.