Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Who will win the battle for azeroth?

Classic or modern wow?

End of the day if the former overcomes the latter it is likely we will face one of two scenarios. Either a rerelease of other expansions or a "reboot" of wow.

If the latter wins we are trapped in a grindy rng nightmare. The battle is about to start whose side will you choose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Well I was thinking the Alliance at first, but given the Horde's crusade for identity, and the threat of the Old Gods on the horizon...

...oh wait, what is this? Bait title and thread? Come on dudeski.

So how many expansion in will you want before it stops being 'classic'?
    If you want classic you should have the base game up to the final patch and no more imo.
    Do people want 'classic' up untill Mop? lol
    Hopefully the latter wins, and some people will probably after a month or 2 realize that no matter how much you scream nostalgia you will never recreate the emotion/feelings of playing the game for the first time with all your old school buddys.
    14 years later...there just memories now.

10+ Year Old Account
    alot of rose tinted glasses will shatter, thats for sure
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    If you want classic you should have the base game up to the final patch and no more imo.
    Hopefully the latter wins, and some people will probably after a month or 2 realize that no matter how much you scream nostalgia you will never recreate the emotion/feelings of playing the game for the first time with all your old school buddys.
    Ideally for me it would be tbc then a splitting to take the game in a new direction away from the auto win philosophy that plagued it.

Deleted
    ughh the old gods because horde and alliance fight one another

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty tome View Post
    Classic or modern wow?

End of the day if the former overcomes the latter it is likely we will face one of two scenarios. Either a rerelease of other expansions or a "reboot" of wow.

If the latter wins we are trapped in a grindy rng nightmare. The battle is about to start whose side will you choose?
    Oh you know it won't be Vs. at the end of the expansion. The people will.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    Or people still love playing the game because they like the mechanics, slower pace, less grindy etc

Newer doesn't mean better.

There won't be any war, they cater to different people.

Retail will be leagues larger than classic, though. Only a handful of very dedicated vanilla fans will play it for a significant amount of time, most people will only dip their toes and doodle around during droughts. The notion that classic will be nearly as big as retail, or even kill it, is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    There won't be any war, they cater to different people.

Retail will be leagues larger than classic, though. Only a handful of very dedicated vanilla fans will play it for a significant amount of time, most people will only dip their toes and doodle around during droughts. The notion that classic will be nearly as big as retail, or even kill it, is laughable.
    I don't really now if it is. Retail isn't in a healthy state and it has yet to actually hit the slow part of the expansion. It won't kill it but I would be lying if I said that I didn't want development focus to shift.

Retail players don't have the time or patience for Classic WoW long-term. They're going to dabble in it and stop playing at level 19. Classic is catered for a very specific niche.

Blizzard will win. They get all the money.

I don't really now if it is. Retail isn't in a healthy state and it has yet to actually hit the slow part of the expansion. It won't kill it but I would be lying if I said that I didn't want development focus to shift.
    Reality is, it's at the peak of it's health and it's yet another vocal minority issue, just like it always is. There isn't "massive sub loss" there is a couple hundred thousand people, and some you tubers, bitching and moaning for changes that would be negative changes for the majority of the playerbase. People care to much about negligible things like AZ traits e.t.c

couple hundred thousand is generous too. You gotta think, people only post feedback when it's negative, and the negative feedback is no more than the norm. I firmly believe that the absolutely massive majority of the player base are thoroughly enjoying BFA so far. I'm grateful the loudmouthed eletists are being ignored. Hell, if they got their way the game would be just as unnecessarily soul destroying to play at a high level as it was in Vanilla.
    Last edited by thunterman; 2018-10-20 at 02:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Does it matter? They'll probably share a sub and feed off of one another. In the end, Blizzard wins.

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Reality is, it's at the peak of it's health and it's yet another vocal minority issue, just like it always is. There isn't "massive sub loss" there is a couple hundred thousand people, and some you tubers, bitching and moaning for changes that would be negative changes for the majority of the playerbase. People care to much about negligible things like AZ traits e.t.c

couple hundred thousand is generous too. You gotta think, people only post feedback when it's negative, and the negative feedback is no more than the norm. I firmly believe that the absolutely massive majority of the player base are thoroughly enjoying BFA so far. I'm grateful they are being ignored.
    I will not argue faith with a zealot.

Is this considered a click bait? Lol

Deleted
    The Horde, obviously. Alliance isn't allowed to shine.

I will not argue faith with a zealot.
    Because you have no arguement. The games got faults, but it's not doom and gloom like people claim.

Both will lose, I think. Sadly.

I think there is a risk Classic will be extremely delayed, and not be released until after the next expansion. When it does release, I think it will very quickly become a ghost town and nothing more than a living museum of what WoW once was.

"Modern" aka Battle for Azeroth hasn't gotten a good start, and with the current direction for 8.1, I am skeptical if it will do much more than sort of flounder along until the next expansion. Maybe they'll pull a huge story curveball, but from a mechanics/feature point-of-view it's looking to be a big disappointment. The story is also developing strangely and events in the faction war are making players on both sides angry. Not to mention the players who don't even care for the conflict in the first place.

Depending on whether Blizzard feel they can offset the reduced profitability of the franchise by allocating development resources elsewhere, this can result in several different outcomes. Anything from a massive 9.0 gamble to win back momentum and goodwill to pushing the franchise even further towards maintenance mode.

If there is the slightest misstep with Classic (such as making it "almost-Classic") the fans will harshly blame Blizzard for a hypothetical Classic failure, so I would think they want to avoid that. On the other hand, they're recreating Classic in the modern engine, and that sounds like it might be in the way of certain mechanics in Classic - and may result in a pseudo-Classic.

I expect the demo at Blizzcon to be a way to test the waters for how much players will accept in the way of "almost-Classic". If players react positively to the change/removal of elements which are difficult to recreate, they'll double down on that - if players get up in arms, they might use that to create acceptance for a greatly delayed release.

If we do see an "almost-Classic" at Blizzcon and a very negative response, I think there's a risk they will cancel the project entirely. My gut feeling tells me it's causing a lot more trouble than they expected, and they're basically bleeding money the longer they work on it, and Activision-Blizzard executives may not be willing to accept that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic or modern wow?

Like if classic wasn't a grindy rng nightmare.

In the end, Blizzard will win with a ton of subscribers who hope with every expansion that it will become better. (Wish that too but highly doubt it after seeing the current state of Beta for Azeroth).