Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Varimathras quotes revisit - Relevant in BfA?!

So, your Alliance still endures. Longer than I expected, though she has already planted the seeds of its downfall. She is patient, that one.
    When your thrones run red with betrayal... when your holy places burn and the shattered mask hangs above your hearth... only then you will know. And it will be too late.
    It matters not. You are blind to the true darkness closing in around you.

Is tha seed she planted Saurfang? Could it be that like I have speculated on my other thread, Saurfang is playinf charades and acting as a double agent and even old soldiers can learn new tricks?

And it seems the continuation related to Vol'jin has some connection with his line when Horde encounters him:

So, she found me at last. Sent her underlings to finish the job.
    Tell me, when she seized your throne of hides and bones, was your allegiance forced? No... I'd wager you surrendered it willingly... or were convinced you did.
    It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst.

From the looks of it, he knew something all along!

Here's his full encounter sound files:
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2018-10-20 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories like this, because they try to anticipate the outcome from a storytelling that has been anything but consistent. In other words, I don't think Blizzard's skill in storytelling is as good as you're making it out to be as far as planning that far ahead. Maybe it is, but...I just don't think so at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    My theory is it's actually Xalatath. I mean the dagger was found in Tirisfal Glade and she is patient.

Blizzard doesn't do a great job planning out their stories, so it's always pointless to focus on stuff like this and Ilgy's whispers.

The higher likelihood is that they work backwards - put in some cool, cryptic stuff and then find a way to make it up later.

Its pretty obvious at this point that when Voljin promoted Sylvanas to Warchief, the whispers came from N'Zoth.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How does he talk with thar thing on his head?
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories like this, because they try to anticipate the outcome from a storytelling that has been anything but consistent. In other words, I don't think Blizzard's skill in storytelling is as good as you're making it out to be as far as planning that far ahead. Maybe it is, but...I just don't think so at the moment.
    It's not that Blizzard isn't "talented" enough to play a long-form story game, it's just that so many people have their fingers in writing it and everyone is constantly nixing and retconning already planned ideas. If you've ever tried to work on a group project that involved multiple people having a hand in writing a long-term story, you'll quickly know what I mean. It's more like the company lacks strong overarching leadership on writing, so instead of a cohesive story following one dedicated thread we have a bunch of randos writing bullshit that flies in the face of what might've been planned three years ago, and the story is a mess because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    My theory is it's actually Xalatath. I mean the dagger was found in Tirisfal Glade and she is patient.
    The Broken mask is the Forsaken mask. He's undoubtedly talking about Sylvanas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    It's not that Blizzard isn't "talented" enough to play a long-form story game, it's just that so many people have their fingers in writing it and everyone is constantly nixing and retconning already planned ideas. If you've ever tried to work on a group project that involved multiple people having a hand in writing a long-term story, you'll quickly know what I mean. It's more like the company lacks strong overarching leadership on writing, so instead of a cohesive story following one dedicated thread we have a bunch of randos writing bullshit that flies in the face of what might've been planned three years ago, and the story is a mess because of it.
    Yeah it definitely does seem that way. I mean I'm fairly certain that when they started the World of Warcraft there were a bunch of things we have now that they never originally intended to happen such as Azeroth turning out to be a Titan, Illidan being the key to beating Sargeras and The Light and Void being pretty much the same but with different colour schemes.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that I was speaking about talent. The point I tried to make is that the story that is produced by Blizzard, however that comes about, has not shown much cohesiveness or consistency, and so to anticipate a future plot point is fruitless. As you've said, part of the reason why the Blizzard narrative is this way is because group storytelling lacks the necessary editorial structure to consistent faithfulness to narrative cohesiveness as a whole. Regardless of why it's this way, however, I was speaking against the desire from fans/users of Blizzard products to predict connections between past and potentially future narrative elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    I see someone has never engaged in BDSM...

Banking on Sylvanas for the horde one and changing the alliance one from Jaina to Alleria. Lines up with his line talking about "the true darkness" and the other line about "at the hour of her third death" being heavily implied to be Sylvanas or Alleria.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    Dreadlords double as ventriloquists, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    What an entirely redundant post.

At this point, everything Varimathras has said that hinted at what's to come is coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Snake View Post
    The Broken mask is the Forsaken mask. He's undoubtedly talking about Sylvanas.
    I'm not sure it's stated beyond player speculation that the emblem is a mask. It's a shattered face, yes, but that doesn't mean the face depicted is a mask.

edit:

in the end. if we take Varimathras' words to hear then we're doing one of the things people call out Sylvanas for... trusting a dreadlord's word.

either he's really on his last legs (again...) and he's got nother left to lose so he's divulging information freely, or he's doing what dreadlords do and lying through his teeth to sow dissent among any who will listen.

We can assume his words are true and that Sylvanas or some one is doing something behind the scenes (note this doesn't mean JUST one person is doing so despite the writing only ever making us aware of one such person at any given storyline). It could also be a ploy of his (or his master's) own design... it's a dreadlord, not exactly the best source of info.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2018-10-20 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I'm not sure it's stated beyond player speculation that the emblem is a mask. It's a shattered face, yes, but that doesn't mean the face depicted is a mask.
    It looks like a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Snake View Post
    It looks like a mask.
    as do about a half dozen other banners, if we're only taking into account ones that resemble something one adorns upon their face or appears shaped like a face.

edit:

the biggest thing is that it's not exclusively pointing at one icon or even a currently existing one.

you can take the dreadlord's words at face value.... but that is an action that is usually viewed as very irresponsible.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2018-10-20 at 10:57 PM.

as do about a half dozen other banners, if we're only taking into account ones that resemble something one adorns upon their face or appears shaped like a face.
    Yes, but how many of those have explicitly had written that they are in the process of trying to conquer Stormwind? Because Sylvanas is actively trying to conquer Stormwind.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Yes, but how many of those have explicitly had written that they are in the process of trying to conquer Stormwind? Because Sylvanas is actively trying to conquer Stormwind.
    more than the number or credible dreadlords that's for sure.

keep in mind we have ONE dreadlord that seems somewhat ballpark in credibility... and factions with banners that resemble masks/faces include the likes of some factions under the iron horde, old horde, privateers, and trolls....

edit:

and that's not to look at ogre and vrykul factions that are more focused on their own territories or naga that have yet to make an appearance.

Again, the focus on ONE banner to the exclusion of others or possibly yet to be revealed options isn't a 'good' idea.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2018-10-20 at 11:09 PM.

edit:

the biggest thing is that it's not exclusively pointing at one icon or even a currently existing one.

you can take the dreadlord's words at face value.... but that is an action that is usually viewed as very irresponsible.
    I mean, it's literally a shattered mask - a consistent, specific and iconic piece of imagery that I can't think of appearing anywhere else in WoW - talking about things Sylvanas totally would want to/plans to do, in a situation where the Horde's counterpart lines referring to "she" in the same fashion are unambiguously talking about Sylvanas.

It doesn't mean he's prophetic or right; the accuracy of his statements are their own question. But if the question we're asking is "Is he referring to Sylvanas?" the answer is 100% yes.

As for the actual meaning, I don't think there's much. The whole thing is just a "Sylvanas is sneaky, machinations are afoot" tease in general terms. And that's happening; Sylvanas is sneaky and machinations are afoot.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2018-10-20 at 11:10 PM.