Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slalmon View Post
    I am sorry but this is delusional, there is no way in hell 600k people are going to be watching dudes play Classic... I mean come on.

We can talk about how popular it might be but why be ludicrous about it?
    Shroud, Soda, Asmond together will have 1/3rd of that number without all the smaller streamers too, I think its safe to say it will hit 600k.

edit from half to 1/3
    Last edited by xcitng; 2018-10-21 at 06:13 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slalmon View Post
    I am sorry but this is delusional, there is no way in hell 600k people are going to be watching dudes play Classic... I mean come on.
    And he's talking about release, too. The idea that over half a million people will be sitting around watching someone melee some wolves/boars for an hour or so is pretty ridiculous. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    willing to take any bets that classic surpasses the viewer count on twitch that bfa had, which peaked at 600k. Obviously this does not tell us if classic has more players than retail, but its the only real metric we can go by on a large scale since blizzard does not release those numbers.
    That's very disingenous. A lot of people watch streamers just to see the streamer or keep it in the background, not watch the actual game. There will absolutely be a ton of streamers in Classic on day 1 to capitalize on the perceived hype, and if you mix all of their fans there might be that many viewers. Of course, none of them will be there to actually watch a character melee a boar for 15 seconds but rather to watch the antics of a manchild and spam emotes on chat.

You can probably win that bet but it doesn't support at all your original claim.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    And he's talking about release, too. The idea that over half a million people will be sitting around watching someone melee some wolves/boars for an hour or so is pretty ridiculous. However...

That's very disingenous. A lot of people watch streamers just to see the streamer or keep it in the background, not watch the actual game. There will absolutely be a ton of streamers in Classic on day 1 to capitalize on the perceived hype, and if you mix all of their fans there might be that many viewers. Of course, none of them will be there to actually watch a character melee a boar for 15 seconds but rather to watch the antics of a manchild and spam emotes on chat.

You can probably win that bet but it doesn't support at all your original claim.
    And do you think shrouds viewers were there for BFA launch when he streamed it? This works both ways bro, and is the only large scale metric we can go by.

Right cause games only get better over time eh?

Kind of a weird mindset ive notice with millenials, or younger people in general. "I can do better than that, you just watch me!"
    Millennials are the core of the WoW player base and have been since vanilla. If you think they're not interested in playing Classic then you're just proving my point that it won't be particularly popular.

As for games getting better over time, of course they do. Improvements in AI, character creation, graphics, story integration, etc. have come a long way since 2004. Does every game that has been released since then translate those improvements to compelling game play? Certainly not. However, WoW wasn't a perfect game even when it was originally released (evidenced by much of the discussion in this very thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Millennials are the core of the WoW player base and have been since vanilla. If you think they're not interested in playing Classic then you're just proving my point that it won't be particularly popular.

As for games getting better over time, of course they do. Improvements in AI, character creation, graphics, story integration, etc. have come a long way since 2004. Does every game that has been released since then translate those improvements to compelling game play? Certainly not. However, WoW wasn't a perfect game even when it was originally released (evidenced by much of the discussion in this very thread).
    That has nothing to do with anything being discussed in this thread lol. Im just saying, not everything gets better over time like that poster was suggesting, the core gameplay values of vanilla WoW absolutely hold up today.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGINGBRODADDY View Post
    yes

https://s.nimbusweb.me/share/2193217...1ky0qo2zrz203y

But most of those warriors are fury.

You only need to be prot for raids, and can tank as arms/fury with very little issue, however lots of warriors refuse to tank for whatever reason.
    Most arms/fury warriors can equip a decent shield and offtank early raids such as MC when needed. It's not like there isn't a ramp up period until you need geared tanks. People know now, so guilds will be equipping warriors and alt-warriors for it.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    is the only large scale metric we can go by.
    It is not a metric to go by because it does not represent what you are trying to imply, that Classic will "overtake" current WoW. You said yourself Blizzard doesn't release those numbers and stream channels that people watch for the streamer, not the content, are not a metric for Blizzard's numbers.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

It is not a metric to go by because it does not represent what you are trying to imply, that Classic will "overtake" current WoW. You said yourself Blizzard doesn't release those numbers and stream channels that people watch for the streamer, not the content, are not a metric for Blizzard's numbers.
    You must have missed a part of my post, i said specifically in comparison to BFA launch, which peaked at around 600k viewers. If it indeed does like i suspect, that tells us more people were interested in WoW classic launch than they were in BFA on twitch. Twitch surely isnt going to grow massively from then to classic release, its for the most part the same people watching.

That has nothing to do with anything being discussed in this thread lol. Im just saying, not everything gets better over time like that poster was suggesting, the core gameplay values of vanilla WoW absolutely hold up today.
    Maybe you shouldn't have started the Classic vs retail argument in the 4th post of the thread then. And as suspected, you misread "that poster" response (expected when you're looking at everything through rose-tinted glasses).

To get back on track, there will probably be plenty of tanks but most will be awful as they try to work their way through clunky mechanics and poorly tuned classes/specs.

Maybe you shouldn't have started the Classic vs retail argument in the 4th post of the thread then.

To get back on track, there will probably be plenty of tanks but most will be awful as they try to work their way through clunky mechanics and poorly tuned classes/specs.
    I didnt start an argument, i am reminding people of how popular classic will be and how that should quell your worries of finding a tank.

I didnt start an argument, i am reminding people of how popular classic will be and how that should quell your worries of finding a tank.
    Dude, don't be so fucking dense. "I think Classic will be very popular" is not the same as "classic is going to be more popular than retail". Other posters called you out on it, and you doubled down trying to make bets based on twitch watchers.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2018-10-21 at 07:00 AM.

Dude, don't be so fucking dense. "I think Classic will be very popular" is not the same as "classic is going to be more popular than retail".
    Reported for language first off, secondly it doesnt have to be more popular than retail to have enough people where finding tanks is not going to be a huge worry.

Being more popular than retail (for a time) is simply my prediction.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must have missed a part of my post, i said specifically in comparison to BFA launch, which peaked at around 600k viewers. If it indeed does like i suspect, that tells us more people were interested in WoW classic launch than they were in BFA on twitch. Twitch surely isnt going to grow massively from then to classic release, its for the most part the same people watching.
    So now you are saying you were talking exclusively about how many viewers Classic launch will have in comparison to BfA launch? Because I was under the impression you were speaking of popularity based on players:
    Obviously this does not tell us if classic has more players than retail, but its the only real metric we can go by on a large scale since blizzard does not release those numbers.
    Which, again, viewers are based on other things, not players in the game. Streamers go whatever is the latest fad, and Classic is not just a Blizzard release but also a controversial one and one that is not only relevant to current players but also old time players and on top of that also haters of the game. It would absolutely not be a shock if there is a lot more streamers generating views for it from all those subsets of the community, but there is no indication that translates to popularity of actual players.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2018-10-21 at 07:07 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    no there will be an abundance of warriors but most of them will hate tanking

Reported for language first off, secondly it doesnt have to be more popular than retail to have enough people where finding tanks is not going to be a huge worry.

Being more popular than retail (for a time) is simply my prediction.
    A prediction that only serves to derail threads. Good job.

So now you are saying you were talking exclusively about how many viewers Classic launch will have in comparison to BfA launch? Because I was under the impression you were speaking of popularity based on players

Which, again, viewers are based on other things, not players in the game. Streamers go whatever is the latest fad, and Classic is not just a Blizzard release but also a controversial one and one that is not only relevant to current players but also old time players and on top of that also haters of the game. It would absolutely not be a shock if there is a lot more streamers generating views for it from all those subsets of the community, but there is no indication that translates in popularity of actual players.
    Again, show me a better metric. Blizzard hasnt released those numbers for years, once classic comes out people are going to try and find some sort of metric where we can gauge how popular classic is.

- - - Updated - - -

A prediction that only serves to derail threads. Good job.
    Derail threads lol? How many players classic has will directly impact how easy or hard it is to find a tank.

Derail threads lol? How many players classic has will directly impact how easy or hard it is to find a tank.
    Again, you fail on the reading comprehension part. We were talking specifically about your prediction of Classic vs retail. And no, it has less to do with the number of players and more to do with the composition of those players. You could have 20 million people playing Classic and if only 1 in 30 want to tank then you're going to have trouble finding tanks. Or you could have 100,000 players and as long as roughly 1 in 5 want to tank you'll probably be fine.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, show me a better metric. Blizzard hasnt released those numbers for years, once classic comes out people are going to try and find some sort of metric where we can gauge how popular classic is.
    I'm not the one making the claim, I've no need to show anything. I'm only explaining you are using the word wrong. Twitch is not "the best metric we have", it is literally not a metric at all as it is completely unrelated to finding out active players.

The only way we will know if Classic active players surpasses BfA at any one point is to do what has been done in some private servers, set up a bot to constantly /who every level in every server and keep track of the number of players it returns. But with /who queries being capped at 50 in Classic it's a fool's errand. There is no way to know.

And I guess to be on topic:
    Like majority has said already one of the most popular classes in Classic is Warriors, who only need to have a one hander and shield to be a tank in dungeons while leveling. Majority of them will probably not make it to cap. Only advice I can think to give is if you want to be a raid tank then start working towards it from the moment you create your character. Meet people, find a guild, be dependable, build your reputation, establish yourself as a tank in the minds of the leader and officers from the get-go.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2018-10-21 at 07:19 AM.

Again, you fail on the reading comprehension part. We were talking specifically about your prediction of Classic vs retail. And no, it has less to do with the number of players and more to do with the composition of those players. You could have 20 million people playing Classic and if only 1 in 30 want to tank then you're going to have trouble finding tanks. Or you could have 100,000 players and as long as roughly 1 in 5 want to tank you'll probably be fine.
    In all my years of playing MMO's these things seem to correlate. When swtor starting drying up queues got longer and finding a tank was few and far between.

With people knowing that Warr is the only choice for tank etc. I think there will not be THAT of an issue as it was in the past, but still as always there will be some shortage.