Thread: Chinese buffets

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chinese buffets

When Chinese people in the us go to Chinese buffets do they still call it Chinese food? Or is it just food
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

you won’t find a Chinesenperson at a Chinese buffet. They’ll be at a legit Chinese restaurant eating dim sum.

10+ Year Old Account
    @the game Ah, but have you thought about it further? If I'm eating a pizza in Beijing, does that make it Chinese food?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster
    They’ll be at a legit Chinese restaurant eating dim sum.
    I thought that choices had widened a bit more than that, with more regional stuff available.

Edit

@Winter Blossom At least back when I was in the US, Chinese restaurants often had a different menu for Chinese and those who knew to ask for it. There was a place that I used to go as a student where I used to order off of the alternate menu. The catch was that I had to order off of it without any translation being provided ("these dishes don't have English names") so it was a bit luck of the draw and I had to remember which things I liked best. It was fun though.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2018-10-22 at 12:02 AM. Reason: updating
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    you won’t find a Chinesenperson at a Chinese buffet. They’ll be at a legit Chinese restaurant eating dim sum.
    not true. there were 12 of them at the place I was at tonight. eating at one table.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    not true. there were 12 of them at the place I was at tonight. eating at one table.
    Why the hell are you asking us then? You had a chance to find out.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Why the hell are you asking us then? You had a chance to find out.
    Probably looking to get our thoughts on it before he unveils his wisdom.

Anyways...I think Chinese people call that food 中国菜

Sometimes it's just about the money. Buffets are often quite cheap for a lot of food, even if it isn't all GOOD food.

I've seen a lot of Chinese restaurants with separate Chinese menus on request, but those dishes are often also pricier than the "US Chinese" ones. For some people, that's simply enough of a reason to choose the buffet, say, or some other, cheaper dish. For me personally, I am happy to pay a little extra for better food and so I haven't dared a Chinese buffet yet. Or any buffet, really, outside of special circumstances like being invited to a catered event, or staying at a hotel where it's the only practicable option.

I've always heard that American Chinese food isn't much like the food they have in China.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Nowadays, a lot of those American-Chinese restaurants have a second menu with legit Chinese food, so I do think you see real Chinese people at them, but at the same time there's also small restaurants that don't really advertise to regular American people and they go there.

There's actually a tiny Korean restaurant/grocery store near me that I didn't even know existed for the 5 years I drove past it, then I finally noticed the Hangul written on the side and went inside, now I love it. I've been there a dozen times now and never seen another white person inside other then when I bring friends.
    Last edited by Boricha; 2018-10-22 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    they call it American food, because that's what it is...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Chinese buffets are not real Chinese food.

I would imagine that they call it by the region the cuisine comes from just like we do here in the States. Southwest, Tex-Mex, Californian, Cajun, Southern, New England, etc.

Sure you do, save a handful of irritating jerks harping on about authenticity. The same sort of people who do not have Dim Sum for dinner or lunch. General Tso's chicken is THE best junk food ever created..or maybe buffalo wings??

10+ Year Old Account
    I go to an asian buffet on occasion, and it's almost entirely asians there. So... deffo not the case.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I travel for work, and Asian buffets in general are a great source of cheap, fast food for when I'm hungry after a day with customers or after I get off a late afternoon flight and I'd missed lunch. The interesting thing to note is that in states like Colorado, there has been a disturbing trend towards closing down American buffet joints such as Buffets Inc. locations and Golden Corral. Asian buffets seem to be unaffected by this so far though.

And yes, I'm a first generation Chinese immigrant.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy figured it out....

10+ Year Old Account
    When Chinese people in the us go to Chinese buffets do they still call it Chinese food? Or is it just food
    Hey, even I at a chinese buffet would just call it food.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    same as an American having a Burger, or an Englishman having Sunday Roast or if out, a Carvery

They would call what we eat American Chinese.

Clearly it's not Chinese food so either refer to it as food, buffet, or name the dish.

I mean most of them have fried chicken wings, lobster legs, and ice cream. And yes the other stuff is just Americanized food they developed to sell...

Even the egg roll is not really Chinese, it's an Americanized spring roll.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-10-22 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Clearly it's not Chinese food so either refer to it as food, buffet, or name the dish.

I mean most of them have fried chicken wings, lobster legs, and ice cream. And yes the other stuff is just Americanized food they developed to sell...

Even the egg roll is not really Chinese, it's an Americanized spring roll.
    Dammit, you just can't get some good dog or human fetus dish in America.