Thread: New DEMO News

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    when i read about there being a classic demo i initially though they would let you level to 20, because that's what is on offer for trial accounts.

hearing that you start at level 15 though is disappointing. mostly because a lot of people might be interested in doing the level 10 class quests. hearing that there may be a time limit in place (they did say may in the dev watercooler post) is a bit disappointing, but makes sense. they do not know how popular the demo will be, so have to manage expectations and look at server capacity so crashes do not happen.

all in all, i'm more disappointed that characters start at 15 more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    They are completely within their right to do that if they wish?

It's bad enough the demo is only active for x amount of time, I can't believe their putting a restriction on on a restriction. If they don't feel like they can facilitate it so people can play en masses it never should have been included in the ticket.

Could you imagine when you were a kid if you got a metal gear solid demo disk or something and 20 minutes into the demo a message just popped up saying "Thanks for playing, thats your lot!"
    Apples and Oranges.....This demo will not be a solo experience so they will have to commit active server infrastructure to keep it running. Metal Gear Solid demo you could play as long as your playstation worked, you did not need the online side for the client to work.......It is more that they will limit people to get the widest base of people on while keeping the demo from being a complete loss of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    when i read about there being a classic demo i initially though they would let you level to 20, because that's what is on offer for trial accounts.

hearing that you start at level 15 though is disappointing. mostly because a lot of people might be interested in doing the level 10 class quests. hearing that there may be a time limit in place (they did say may in the dev watercooler post) is a bit disappointing, but makes sense. they do not know how popular the demo will be, so have to manage expectations and look at server capacity so crashes do not happen.

all in all, i'm more disappointed that characters start at 15 more than anything else.
    Implementing class quests means they would have to make the demo significantly larger. Since it is just small zones which you have access to it is simple for them to write the experience for everyone and have minimal debugging for every class. it is logistically the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    But you are they are going to be running on a limited infrastructure for this Demo. They are not going to spin up enough servers for everyone to be logged in at the same time 24/7 for the 4 or so days. So yes you will be taking up someones spot and likely will have some queuing during prime time to get into the demo.
    Activision-Blizzard's market cap is 53.2 billion dollars. Their revenue in 2017 only was 7 billion.

They can afford servers.

Deleted
    Apples and Oranges.....This demo will not be a solo experience so they will have to commit active server infrastructure to keep it running. Metal Gear Solid demo you could play as long as your playstation worked, you did not need the online side for the client to work.......It is more that they will limit people to get the widest base of people on while keeping the demo from being a complete loss of money.
    Actually I remember a PS2 demo with the only restriction being "time played".
    It was called "Dark Cloud"
    You could go as far as humanly possible with only a time restriction.

I remember having fun seeing how far i could go.

Shouldn't of been included then. Or they should of offered up a premium ticket with limited amount available to take server issues into account. Or I'd imagine they would of easily been able to organize a offline version of westfall / barrens on its own. Since you can't pvp or do the dungeons. that way no issue with servers.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Implementing class quests means they would have to make the demo significantly larger. Since it is just small zones which you have access to it is simple for them to write the experience for everyone and have minimal debugging for every class. it is logistically the right way to do it.
    i fully appreciate the logistical challenges behind it, im just disappointed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    Activision-Blizzard's market cap is 53.2 billion dollars. Their revenue in 2017 only was 7 billion.

They can afford servers.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    you paid to watch blizzcon, demo is a bonus
    No one paid to watch Blizzcon, they paid to play Classic. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    yes, because $7 billion is being pumped into an indie project that isn't even guaranteed to make a good ROI

blizzard likely have very little spending power on this project. they likely do not have the full financial backing of activision blizzard lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see the problem, the demo is already a limited time demo anyway, with the demo only going to be around for 3-4 days (however long Blizzcon is). This was stated when they announced the demo. Most likely you will get your times worth out of it.. We havent had any info on how limited the time to play will be. 15 minutes? 1 hour? 12 hours?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I only saw the title in recent forum posts and am disappointed this isn't a thread about changes coming to Demo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    yes, because $7 billion is being pumped into an indie project that isn't even guaranteed to make a good ROI

blizzard likely have very little spending power on this project. they likely do not have the full financial backing of activision blizzard lol
    Really?

I thought Blizzard decided to make a MOBA to compete with League Of Legends just for the fun of it
    I dont pity Blizzard's pockets.

But i respect Blizzard 100% for making Classic a reality.
    This is a passion project IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dottdog View Post
    I only saw the title in recent forum posts and am disappointed this isn't a thread about changes coming to Demo.
    UFF, i also was so nervous before reading.

Good thing is "no changes".

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    They already are committing what is need (barely anything) and the demo doesn't exist specifically for feedback purposes.

It's a demo, not a beta.
    If you do not think that they will be taking feedback from users at Blizzcon and through the VT users you are sadly mistaken, as well as taking performance statistics on the backend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Keep on dancing buddy, nice try at trolling.

But hey good job at resorting to personal insults.
    I think you are completely wrong as well.

As for the watercooler itself, sounds like devs have their hands full just getting the darned thing to work. I'd say monkeying with mechanics or numbers outside of knock-on effects from implementation is not going to happen, at least for a while after launch.

Shouldn't of been included then. Or they should of offered up a premium ticket with limited amount available to take server issues into account. Or I'd imagine they would of easily been able to organize a offline version of westfall / barrens on its own. Since you can't pvp or do the dungeons. that way no issue with servers.
    Everything is hosted on database within the server. Having this offline risks so much more as you are then releasing your entire database to the public......At that point you would not be getting any measurable test data........ Keep digging you are showing your immaturity here........Your are the guy gets a 2080 for his birthday and complains that is it s reference edition aren't you..........

Man it looks like were a long ways away from classic release, /sadface.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post

They can afford servers.
    It is not about how much they can make but it is about how much it costs to provide the service and if it is a losing endeavor it will never get approved by Corporate.......But hey you are showing how little you understand about business......There is a reason their profits are where they are.....they don't make multiple decisions that cost more than they make......think about it and say something intelligent.

They are completely within their right to do that if they wish?

It's bad enough the demo is only active for x amount of time, I can't believe their putting a restriction on on a restriction. If they don't feel like they can facilitate it so people can play en masses it never should have been included in the ticket.

Could you imagine when you were a kid if you got a metal gear solid demo disk or something and 20 minutes into the demo a message just popped up saying "Thanks for playing, thats your lot!"
    Except I remember time limited demos existing back then...

http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1389
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...vil-2/51864500
    https://youtu.be/QJ1gIv4KA1s?t=2535 (you see time run out on him)

and still do, in a different form...

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/omen-of-...-now-available
    https://wccftech.com/gt-sport-limite...o-preload-psn/

Deleted
    Except the time restriction on those games was made to prevent you from playing the entire game.
    You could start playing again from the beginning if you wanted to.

But in Classic's demo case, the time restriction IS NOT there to prevent you from playing the entire game.
    The restriction is there to......let other people play? I guess? Not sure.

You will have to stop playing for 1-2 hours to be able to play again and continue.

While in those games you could play all day non stop.