Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    Thanks for naming all the features I dislike about modern WoW. Although TBC and early-WoTLK were my favourite iterations of WoW, I think I’ll enjoy Classic
    And like I've said in this thread, that's totally fine. I genuinely hope the people who are waiting for this enjoy it.

But I think you should probably also temper your expectations, starting with the fact that by the time you get your first character to 60, the allure will have worn off for a lot of people... people you'll need to stock 40 man raids and help with things like resistance gear and Onyxia cloaks. It'll just be people playing for themselves (no achievements! no transmog! no dungeon/raid finders!) in hopes Blizzard makes enough money with it to continue it. Maybe they will. I'm just very skeptical.

(I'm sorry, but I keep going back to Wildstar, developed by WOW vanilla developers. They thought there was a market for 40 man raids and attunements and long endgame grinds, and they publicly advertised such. They were sadly mistaken. That game will shut down completely on November 25 because of their miscalculations.)
    Last edited by damonskye; 2018-10-22 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    Unfortunately, Gadzooks, I think you'll find that the above is the ONLY thing the classic WoW fans want, nothing else.

So I hope Blizzard gives it to them. Warts and all. We'll then see how popular it is.

Trust me, I understand. And it's not all of them - about half of them have expectations that Classic is going to be like a real game, with updates, new content, even expansions. Which is going to be crushed like the irrational expectations of the snooty "I will only accept an authentic experience" crowd is.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    So they talk about things phased out of the game ages ago because it was simply trash game designs. Things that would be considered bugs today. And people want this over bfa and call bfa buggy ? Lapdogs. all of you.

Classic wow is a collosal waste of resources and should NEVER happen
    Still angry about it?

btw, how many turtles you saved today?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    So you are only planning to play classic to wall jump to places you've already seen...... well probably a good thing they fixed it
    Come on, you can come up with better bait than that. Not going to touch that.

Deleted
    Not truly vanilla, Classic. Ah well. I've heard EVE: Echoes was just announced. Maybe I'll give this new EVE game a look instead later on, it's not vanilla EVE Online, but it will ease the drama over how WoW Classic is not truly vanilla either. Sort of a neutral option.
    Last edited by mmocb54112e783; 2018-10-22 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    And like I've said in this thread, that's totally fine. I genuinely hope the people who are waiting for this enjoy it.

But I think you should probably also temper your expectations, starting with the fact that by the time you get your first character to 60, the allure will have worn off for a lot of people... people you'll need to stock 40 man raids and help with things like resistance gear and Onyxia cloaks. It'll just be people playing for themselves (no achievements! no transmog! no dungeon/raid finders!) in hopes Blizzard makes enough money with it to continue it. Maybe they will. I'm just very skeptical.

(I'm sorry, but I keep going back to Wildstar, developed by WOW vanilla developers. They thought there was a market for 40 man raids and attunements and long endgame grinds, and they publicly advertised such. They were sadly mistaken. That game will shut down completely on November 25 because of their miscalculations.)
    I definitely won’t raid. No time for that. I’ll just level up to 60 to re-experience the old world and my class and that’ll be that. But yes, 40 man raids are horrible.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Still angry about it?

btw, how many turtles you saved today?
    I am a bit angry about it yeah. Current game is struggling like shit and they gonna take resources and developers from it to add some old shit we played to death 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Nobody knew the Ony and MC attunements weren't in the game? Are you serious? I knew about both before I had my first mount, it was always a topic in guild chat, because some were working on it, early.

You all act like it was the dark ages, or something. We didn't have everything datamined and spoonfed to us, but we knew about big things like this, and spent large amounts of time working towards them. My "job" in my guild was to run people to get attuned for MC, even people who never stepped foot in it, it's just something we did.
    It had been my experience that the attunements for people who didn't go digging were absolute mysteries. The exact breadth and depth of the attunements were not common knowledge, just that you had to "get attuned." If you were hooking into the raiding scene, the knowledge would eventually filter, but it was in no way posted on a dedicated site. Those barely existed back then.

I'm honestly trying to remember where I learned about the the attunement process from BC. I think WoWhead may have been a thing at that point, because I remember using their javascript tooltip stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Come on, you can come up with better bait than that. Not going to touch that.
    the line is empty rip

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    the line is empty rip
    Well it was fun while it lasted (not really). See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixius View Post
    Not truly vanilla, Classic. Ah well. I've heard EVE: Echoes was just announced. Maybe I'll give this new EVE game a look instead later on, it's not vanilla EVE Online, but it will ease the drama over how WoW Classic is not truly vanilla either. Sort of a neutral option.
    It is amusing that you somehow thought that it would be the same without the ability to wipe people's memories, give them 14 year old PCs and send them back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I am a bit angry about it yeah. Current game is struggling like shit and they gonna take resources and developers from it to add some old shit we played to death 10 years ago
    They said last year not a single person has been moved and they were hiring a new team for classic, relax

p.s 10 years ago was BC

Back in the day blizzard was more lenient and warm towards those who would find ways to get out of bounds, as it was not considered cheating at that time. Mainly it was a warning or such, if that.

Look up the Noggaholics videos and such =D those were fun!

If "Wall walking" was "fixed" then nothing more need be said; this isn't vanilla in any shape, form, or fashion.

RIP.
    To all the walljumping qq-ers, please read this: walljumping was NEVER an intended part of WoW, Blizzard ALWAYS considered it an exploit, and reaching Hyjal or Caverns of Time with it could give you a warning or even a short-time ban. Clearly it wasn't going to be part of Classic, and no, you won't be missing seeing those parts because Blizzard won't even program anything there. Old Mount Hyjal? Nope, there's only a flat surface or a hole there. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    This is troubling. I was hoping Classic WoW would be on the Classic Client/Launcher/etc.

I want Classic WoW, not "Classic" WoW.
    Tell me how could you realisticaly expect Blizzard to have a game separate from their current launcher, which BTW includes most of the anti-cheating and security mechanics. If you don't like this implementation of Classic you should wait for the invention of the time machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    It had been my experience that the attunements for people who didn't go digging were absolute mysteries. The exact breadth and depth of the attunements were not common knowledge, just that you had to "get attuned." If you were hooking into the raiding scene, the knowledge would eventually filter, but it was in no way posted on a dedicated site. Those barely existed back then.

I'm honestly trying to remember where I learned about the the attunement process from BC. I think WoWhead may have been a thing at that point, because I remember using their javascript tooltip stuff.
    No. I think you're exaggerating or making up your experience. People talked to each other back then. People would discuss attunements in guild chat, while hanging around Stormwind and Ironforge, and it was all documented on websites like Thottbot. It wasn't some mystery only a select few knew about, I reject that completely. You're choosing a pointless hill to die on here, for no reason. Attunements existed, most average players knew about them, they weren't especially challenging, and they got done. Period.

BTW, did you notice they haven't mention anything about the character models? Neither if they are implemented the old ones, if they are going to use the new ones or if there's an option to choose it. Nothing... That's suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    To all the walljumping qq-ers, please read this: walljumping was NEVER an intended part of WoW, Blizzard ALWAYS considered it an exploit, and reaching Hyjal or Caverns of Time with it could give you a warning or even a short-time ban. Clearly it wasn't going to be part of Classic, and no, you won't be missing seeing those parts because Blizzard won't even program anything there. Old Mount Hyjal? Nope, there's only a flat surface or a hole there. Nothing else.

Tell me how could you realisticaly expect Blizzard to have a game separate from their current launcher, which BTW includes most of the anti-cheating and security mechanics. If you don't like this implementation of Classic you should wait for the invention of the time machine.
    And, not just that - the launcher is also the gateway to the payment system, your account, which you'll need to access the game and download it, and their support system - and most important, the authenticator. This is not worth the expense of recreating the vast billing and support systems for all of that, for a game that's being resurrected as a fun sideline, at best. I called this before Classic was officially announced. They're not going to recreate and staff an outdates support infrastructure so you can fulfill some bizarre purist agenda.

The "true" vanilla experience is lost in time, you will never experience it the way we did, get over it. Be grateful that they're doing this much for you, for god's sake. It's so mealy mouthed and childish - "Here's Classic, like you wanted." "OMG, the billing window looks different, childhood ROONED."

FFS, people.

Yet I never got banned for it. That said, I never tried to get into bad areas; I liked climbing, not entering restricted areas per se.

You bring up an interesting point, though; it's entirely possible that blizzard is simply locking out specific areas such as caverns of time and GM island. Wall jumping in and of itself may remain.

It doesn't change the fact, though, that vanilla in its glory is defined by these unintentional 'bugs' as well, provided they don't exploit the game that will damage other players' experience there isn't much reason to remove them. But Blizzard is, which makes me fear for the game's future as there are many such 'bugs' in classic.

Yet I never got banned for it. That said, I never tried to get into bad areas; I liked climbing, not entering restricted areas per se.

You bring up an interesting point, though; it's entirely possible that blizzard is simply locking out specific areas such as caverns of time and GM island. Wall jumping in and of itself may remain.

It doesn't change the fact, though, that vanilla in its glory is defined by these unintentional 'bugs' as well, provided they don't exploit the game that will damage other players' experience there isn't much reason to remove them. But Blizzard is, which makes me fear for the game's future as there are many such 'bugs' in classic.
    Walljumping was a side effect of the physics from the old graphical structure. In order to introduce it in Classic they'd have to create invisible treads on every wall. Do you want to wait one or two more years for Classic just to have a glitch back for the sake of nostalgia?

BTW, did you notice they haven't mention anything about the character models? Neither if they are implemented the old ones, if they are going to use the new ones or if there's an option to choose it. Nothing... That's suspicious.
    Said this in the classic subforum thread, but if there was going to be something they'd keep quiet for a big classic moment during the opening ceremonies, it would be the toggleable graphics.