Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by braxkedren View Post
    As for the Nostalgia part, you and others get this so wrong. It's only Nostalgia when that is true. I have Nostalgia about Everquest. I've gone back to try to play that game and that nostalgia hits you in the face and it's true, it was better to think about those times than to play them.

I've recently also gone onto a PServer to verify this. There was no Nostalgia there because the gameplay and feel of Vanilla was and is so much better than the retail version of Warcraft, my opinion and others as well.

So that whole "Nostalgia" comment can start dying off because it's been repeatedly been beaten down as a false narrative.
    It also dismisses new players like me who didn't have a chance to play Classic at all, I don't doubt I'm alone in this regard.

Currently playing retail, but also looking forward to Classic. Because both games are going to offer an entirely different experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    People love to play old games. There are Tetris tournaments where people from all over the world gather to compete. Why is it so hard for you people to believe that people genuinely want to play Vanilla?
    Honestly it feels that person is just trolling based on the "hope the CEO comes out and says canceled lol" bit.

I don't doubt there are those who kept trolling "walls of no" at people wanting vanilla, upset that it's becoming realized. Such is the case with those who are petty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixius View Post
    Thank you for your well thought out reply. Yes horses for courses indeed about vanilla interpretation, one persons drink is another person's poison and so on. I think I will wait to see how the hardcore WoW players handle it, I feel there might be some explody moments, or maybe there won't be over the patch number. I'm not hard core anymore but I used to be earlier on in WoW's timeline. I just did some PvP arena's and BG's rather than raids in the end over time and barely do anything else other than cursory casual play. I'm going to wait and see what the hardcore WoW veteran's make of it from a relaxed distance. I will still think of Classic as vanilla-ish instead of vanilla at the end of the day.
    You're free to think of it any way you want, but whether they start at patch 1.12 or 1.1 it's still vanilla WoW, before any expansions came out. Tell me, which of the interim patch changes ruin that vanilla experience for you? The one where they added party-wide buffs? The removal of resource costs for taunts? AoE targeting circles no longer disappearing when you move? Not having to manually resume attacking as a Warrior using Slam? Other than the new content like dungeons and raids, there wasn't THAT massive a difference in the pre-BC patches.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfThaWest View Post
    One would think that after 10 years of membership here you'd learn to read. The point of savagery in that post resides in the fact that the button you talk about is read 'Cinematics' instead of 'Cinematic' without 's'. But I am happy that is clarified to you, so now you as well can have some fun. All the best.
    Oh, I know exactly what was meant by it. What's sadder and the most obvious is when people don't have anything valid to say, so all they do is pick on grammar and spelling as it makes them feel important, smart and educated. Realistically, it's the easiest thing to pick upon...

1.5 years for 5 levels of content, this is the real WoW lol

15+ Year Old Account
    People play PServers for a multitude of various reason beyond the fact they were free.

Most people I talked to when I got on one for the 1st time recently, said they played on them because that version of WoW had the feel of an MMORPG back then.

As for the Nostalgia part, you and others get this so wrong. It's only Nostalgia when that is true. I have Nostalgia about Everquest. I've gone back to try to play that game and that nostalgia hits you in the face and it's true, it was better to think about those times than to play them.

I've recently also gone onto a PServer to verify this. There was no Nostalgia there because the gameplay and feel of Vanilla was and is so much better than the retail version of Warcraft, my opinion and others as well.

So that whole "Nostalgia" comment can start dying off because it's been repeatedly been beaten down as a false narrative.
    <3 EXACTLY!

I don't know what is so hard for these haters to understand? Why do they want classic to die with such a bizarre misplaced hatred?
    It is just psychotic at this point.

What are the poor bastards gonna do at launch? I might just have to buy stock in Kleenex.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Deleted
    The thing I'm looking forward to most is trying to convince people to click the big glowy healing thing. Nobody ever seemed to get Lightwell. XD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    People modified their clients to make some texture files disappear, so they could drop straight from after.. the first boss? to C'thun. Entire guilds got banned.
    Back in the day I had a texture mod that allowed me to go under the Arathi BG starting gate. We would go to Blacksmith before the BG even started so we could cap it immediately. A few in my guild also had a client texture mod that let you go straight to the bosses you wanted in Stratholme skipping all of the trash and gates.

I am pretty sure shenanigans like that won't be a thing in Classic and that is a good thing. Vanilla was super exploitable which is not a good thing. If you seriously want OG Vanilla because you miss how easy it was to exploit... well... you are a idiot. No software vendor is going to release a product with 14 year old bugs in it.

If your WoW fun only came from exploiting garbage in Vanilla then I guess WoW isn't the game for you.

inb4 people will claim classic failed because they didn't implement exploits and bugs.

Anyone know where I can find the download for the client? I bought the virtual ticket but can't see it anywhere.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Anyone know where I can find the download for the client? I bought the virtual ticket but can't see it anywhere.
    I don't think it's available yet, pretty sure most of this is from datamining. You can check WoWHead though.

People are gonna be pissed if those who buy the virtual ticket can only play it for 15 minutes at a time at home and have to wait 4 hours to continue.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Nostalgia might be a false narrative for you and some others, but it's not for everyone. I have nostalgia for many, many old games and when I go play them either the mechanics or the graphics turn me off.

Like I play any game from 2010 and earlier (excluding WoW) and I just can't do it, no matter how fond my memories are.

I bought the Super Nintendo Classic and played 15-30 minutes before boxing it up and letting it collect dust. My nostalgia for that era of gaming was far greater than my tolerance for outdated graphics and old mechanics.

So for me, nostalgia is very real and I expect going back to Classic will be fun for ME for a week, maybe a month at the most, before I go back to Retail. I could be wrong, but I'm just sharing that nostalgia is real for SOME people (even if not you) when it comes to Classic.

I hope I'm wrong about Classic and I find I love leveling alts in Classic way more than Retail. But maybe it's me being a filthy millenial or something - I don't see myself loving Classic more than Retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Innugammii View Post
    Wtf you talking about, ranting for colorblind mode? What's wrong, hate those people? Will that f up your nostalgia, how? You don't notice it ...or are you sarcastic?
    While I for sure don't agree with the idiot who says no colorblind mode, I am curious your thoughts on Personal new/old model toggle?

I just wish people would understand why someone would want this. WoW is a pretty different game nowdays, doesn't mean it's bad, nor does it mean Classic was bad, but it's pretty different. Just imagine playing any other RPG, the entire game matters and not only logging in once and just doing your dailies and what not. Idc how bad raids were or anything like that, I just want to experience getting there.

I wonder if you'll be able to not skip the logging screen like it does nowdays.

Well no new models, looks like I will be modding my art files.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    How big is the client?
    My guesstimate is 4gb at most but this demo can't be much more than a few hundred mb.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I was trying to hold back my feelings and trying to just pretend i'm not excited for this but....THAT LOADING SCREEN UNNNNGH I DON'T WANT THE ADDICTION BACK GODDAMNIT

Are people actually dropping money on a virtual ticket just to play 4 levels of limited vanilla content? I am actually excited for vanilla, but I wouldn't spend that much just to play 4 levels worth of vanilla.

Hey don't worry about the delay, it will be more "classic" the longer it takes them.