Cross faction chat

Ok so what made me curious is the following.If a Blood elf can talk to Void elf (Thalassian) and Night elf demon hunter can talk to a Blood elf one through demonic.Can a DH from the Horde talk to a Velf from the Alliance?Do DHers know Thalassian?

In lore most likely in game no... blizz wont enable that

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    The new communities feature is the first step towards cross-faction chat/play.
    My alliance and horde sister guilds share an account-level Blizzard group for just this very purpose. It's essentially replaced guild chat in an expansion where we're all playing both sides to get the whole experience!

The following is true about cross-faction communication:

The Basics:
    There are four ways to communicate cross-faction ingame (without using Bnet tags, etc.):
    • Demonic
    • Thalassian
    • Pandaren
    • Mapping phrases within your language (kek).

Void elves:
    • Can communicate with any blood elf.
    • Can communicate with any Horde mage with arcane linguist.

Demon Hunters:
    • Can communicate with Horde demon hunters.
    • And yes, blood elf demon hunters can speak to void elves and demon hunters, making them very good translators. They are probably the best translators in the game, as they can utilize 2 of the 3 methods for cross-faction communcation

Pandaren:
    • Can speak to pandaren on the opposite faction in their racial language.
    • Despite the fact that arcane linguist teaches pandaren, for some unknown reason it cannot be used to communicate with pandaren on the opposite faction. Or at least it could not when I last checked recently (as Alliance).

(My theory on this is that there used to be a 'different' pandaren language that was not cross faction, as it was originally, and then later that language was replaced on pandaren by one that is cross faction, however arcane linguist for whatever reason was not updated when pandaren were. Of course this might be intentional, too.)

Nightborne and Night elves:
    • They have their own unique racial languages and cannot communicate with each other.

Gnomes and using racial languages to indirectly communicate:
    • Gnomes have the most English-like language with Gnomish, and a clever player can use it to make identifiable phrases for the other faction to understand.
    • On that note, you should realize that every single language phrase is always the same. That's why we have 'kek' and 'bur'. A clever player can map several 'words', there are a lot of them. Whatever "Hello", "lol", etc. appears to another player, will always appear that way to other players. Capital letters are recognized, symbols and numbers are not. Remember that you can combine shorter phrases to form words. Horde can say "Yo u me an ye ti" for instance.
    • Pandaren is completely useless for this purpose, but most other languages work to some extent.

Blood elves:
    • Can speak to void elves, but arcane linguist for Alliance does not give Alliance mages access to Thalassian to speak with blood elves in the same way arcane linguist for Horde lets them speak Thalassian and communicate with void elves.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post
    Ok so what made me curious is the following.If a Blood elf can talk to Void elf (Thalassian) and Night elf demon hunter can talk to a Blood elf one through demonic.Can a DH from the Horde talk to a Velf from the Alliance?Do DHers know Thalassian?
    To answer your question specifically, yes. All demon hunters on Horde side are blood elves, so they speak thalassian, and can speak directly with void elves.

All blood elves speak Thalassian, and can speak directly with void elves.

Most mages (of any race on Horde side) have arcane linguist which grants Thalassian, and can be used to speak directly with void elves. This does not apply to Alliance. They do not learn Thalassian from arcane linguist, and since Nightborne speak their own language, learning Kaldorei doesn't help them communicate with Horde in any way.

The ability of void elves to communicate with the Horde is one of their prominent features.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, while were at it, here as some examples you can make use of for some of the racial languages. I recorded this a long time ago, and while it's not comprehensive, it coves a lot of the phrases. The phrases do have a size limit, and several of them repeat. All of the single characters here are all of the single characters. There may be more phrases I missed. For instance, both 'lol' and 'aab' translate to 'bur' in common.

Remember that the phrases have to be exact: D a p ac am ag will translate to "Y o u lo ve me" in common, but "Dap acam ag" will translate to something else entirely.

Common to Orcish (what Horde sees in common)

You Type: a b d p
    They see: o e y u

aa ac ad ag am ap ba bc bg bm ca dc
    re lo an me ve se ti ne ko ru va lu

aaa aab aac aad aae aah aai aak aao aaq aat bah baz bba
    gol bur nud ras lon vil hir ver bor mod wos nud ash far

aaaa aaab aaac aaad aaaf aaak aaap aaax bbbp lola lolb lolc loly lolx
    odes uden vrum goth thor vohl agol ador noth lars dana veld ruff nuff

aaaaa aaaab aaaac aaaae aaaag aaaai aaaal aaaap baddb baddc baddd baddy baddi baddj
    garde algos tiras regen borne ergin wirsh barad eynes novas melka nagan majis gloin

Gnomish to other races:

You type: a b c d e g j q t
    They see: g t o c i a d e f

aa ab ad ae aj ap ba bc bj di
    we ti ke ok ga so am va lo um

aaa aab aac aad aae aah aai aak aao aaq aat bba loy
    dun giz mos zah mik mor gal bur fez her rod nid gar

aaaa aaab aaac aaad aaaf aaak aaap aaax bada badc badd badz badx badn
    riff grum rand dani cost rune lock hine kahs gear gosh buma helm huge

aaaaa aaaab aaaac aaaae aaaag aaaai aaaal aaaap baddb baddc baddd baddy baddj roflf
    goten dagem haven thros weird modan mitta havis tiras angor frend algos nagin modor

Gnomish
    Havagun

Gnomish is my personal favorite simply because it uses so many full words such as ok, am, um, so, we, cost, rune, lock, helm, huge, gosh... etc. Hell, you can even tell the horde that you 'havagun', or g o t a, er, 'huge rod'...

Unfortunately I only really did these two, and it wasn't entirely comprehensive. I don't recall if I did Orcish to Common... if I did, I did not record it.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2018-10-27 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Formatting

10+ Year Old Account
    A Horde DH (Blood elf) can talk to an Alliance Void Elf, yes. Because the Blood Elf knows Thalassian. There is no other Horde DH.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunters (I believe can) when in demon form.

Before Legion expansion, Warlocks were able to when they could go into demon form and speak in Demonic.

Also... 101 101 L t A A f means something to Alliance when Horde type it. I see it all the time.

Am I crazy or did almost nobody actually read OP at all?

Yes a DH belf can talk to a velf and vice versa. Pandaren can talk to each other, DHs can talk to each other and blood elf/void elves can talk to each other. Basically elves have a ton of stuff going on involving being able to speak to others.

These don't require metamorphosis like warlocks did though, it's all just natural. Basically demon hunters just get a third language passively, Demonic, that they can use to chat between themselves, in addition to their racial language Thalassian/Darnassian.

@therealbowser

Thank you for the awesome analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    This is such a rare post and we should have it visible somewhere, I propose you make it a new thread where people can actually add stuff?

In 14 yrs this is the first time I see a comprehensive analysis of words cross faction. Good job!

Btw: If I type "d a p" they read "you"? (ally to horde). And is there a rough cross faction alphabet?
    That's correct, you type the letters in the way they are (with spaces separating with the correct amount of letters) and it will appear that way. It won't be "you" though, it will be "y o u". You can add extra spaces to help separate words if you like, double spaces perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    My alliance and horde sister guilds share an account-level Blizzard group for just this very purpose. It's essentially replaced guild chat in an expansion where we're all playing both sides to get the whole experience!
    The benefits of communities need to be more in the face of players. I do wish that Blizzard would talk more about them.

Thanks @therealbowser for the tutorial on this. Good stuff.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-10-27 at 07:22 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    Demon Hunters (I believe can) when in demon form.

Before Legion expansion, Warlocks were able to when they could go into demon form and speak in Demonic.

Also... 101 101 L t A A f means something to Alliance when Horde type it. I see it all the time.
    Demon hunters can speak demonic any time, by choosing the language much like a blood elf might pick Thalassian, or a dwarf pick dwarvish. And you are correct about warlocks and speaking demonic. As an extra point, being hit with curse of tongues also forces a target to speak in demonic; no idea if this is readable by demon hunters, however, the person hit by it (provided they aren't a demon hunter, presumably) won't be able to read what they are saying themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The benefits of communities need to be more in the face of players. I do wish that Blizzard would talk more about them.

Thanks @therealbowser for the tutorial on this. Good stuff.
    Couldn't agree more, they are incredibly useful! Oh, and you're most welcome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Couldn't agree more, they are incredibly useful! Oh, and you're most welcome!
    Incoming PM to you from me.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It needs to happen. I think Mages, Pandas, DH’s and Void Elves are testing the water.

Hopefully they’ll remove the restrictions entirely. RP would benefit from it.

I decided to take this a step further and go ahead and do Orcish to Common. Unlike my previous attempts which were not directly intended to be comprehensive, this one should actually cover all phrases up to 8 letters (I believe it goes up to 13 letters -- it may even go further than that -- but once you get past ~5 letters or so it becomes gibberish for most languages. I made an exception here because of specific orc phrases, such as Throm'ka or Lok'tar).

Orcish to Common (What Alliance sees in Orcish)

a c d f j
    g o l a n

aa ab ag ap aw dw db da
    ag ha gi ka no ko mu il

aaa aab aae aag aam aap aaw baa bac bag bam dac
    mog aaz tar gul ruk lok ogg kek nuk kaz kil zug

aaaa aaab aaad aaae aaah aaaj aaak aaal aaas aaav aaax aaaz gaab
    ogar thok nogu dogg tago zaga kagg rega grom maza gesh maka uruk

aaaaa aaaab aaaac aaaad aaaae aaaag aaaah aaaam aaaan aaaaw baaac
    ro'th zugas magan throm nogah no'ku re'ka golar regas no'bu kazum

aaaaaa aaaaab aaaaac aaaaag aaaaam aaaaap aaaaaw baaaam zugzyp hahaac hahaag hahaaa
    goth'a thukad revash aaz'no moguna no'gor ogerin raznos thrakk nakazz gezzno makogg

aaaaaaa aaaaaab aaaaaad aaaaaae aaaaaaf aaaaaai aaaaaax
    rath'is kil'azi lok'tar kazreth gul'rok tov'osh zil'nok

aaaaaaaa aaaaaaab aaaaaaac aaaaaaad aaaaaaah aaaaaaaj aaaaaaal
    throm'ka gul'nath zuggossh moth'aga kog'zela ragath'a osh'kava

Some common orc phrases:

Lok'tar (Aaaaaad) - Victory
    Lok'tar ogar (Aaaaaad aaaa) - Victory or death
    Throm'ka (Aaaaaaaa) - A greeting
    zug zug (Dac dac) - Acknowledgement or agreement, "okay"
    HA HA (AB AB) - The universal language for laughter.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2018-10-27 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    I want to add something here:

Gutterspeak shares the same coding with common which gives undeads the extremely strong common code and the okayish orcish making them the best for cross faction communication.
    Just on the top of my head some translations that alliance players and undeads can use:
    D a p Ae cy Ss = You love me
    P bb Ss Ee fff = Use me Lover
    294 B= Nude
    You Ee bb= You lose

imagine the "loktard ogar my faction is better than yours, alliance dog or fuur the alliance, die horde scum" conversations especially from die hard neckbeard fanboys. the only place it could work would be rp servers. this game is filled with people taking this "faction pride" crap too seriously and will resort to insults, threats and other bullshit but on rp servers i noticed that people are more chill although we have our assholes too but in a rather smaller %.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    That's correct, you type the letters in the way they are (with spaces separating with the correct amount of letters) and it will appear that way. It won't be "you" though, it will be "y o u". You can add extra spaces to help separate words if you like, double spaces perhaps.
    When i started thinking about it.I actually don't know how to turn on demonic and thalassian languages.Is there some option in the chat panel which i have to activate or something?

There's actually an addon that allows you to communicate cross faction, though in order to understand it, the other people need to have the addon as well. It allows you to understand /say and emotes (I believe) as if they were a member of your faction.

It seems legit and I don't know anyone that's gotten banned for using it, since it just uses communities to communicate, but I haven't used it because I know Blizzard used to strongly disapprove of cross faction chat through addons. I knew a couple of people that got suspended for it back in BC.

When i started thinking about it.I actually don't know how to turn on demonic and thalassian languages.Is there some option in the chat panel which i have to activate or something?
    (In the default UI) To the bottom left of your chat window, there is a speech bubble button thing. Click it, and on the third from the bottom (just above macro and voice emote) you will see Language. Mouse over it to reveal the languages your character can speak. Click it to change your language.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Dude, what an awesome post! Wish I could upvote or something like that. It's very elaborate. Appreciate your input. Thank you!
    Thanks, I really appreciate it!