Finally manage to get them to remove my lost authenticator but can't add my older one....

Keeps saying the serial number is invalid.

Are you not allowed to add the same authenticator a 2nd time to a Square Enix account or something? Like if you remove it once then want to add it again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want an authenticator anyway?
    Use a secure and unique password and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Bit of a security freak I am.

Ordered a new one anyway. Seems you can't remove one and then add it again so my 2nd one was worthless. This time I'm actually gonna keep it safe. Put it in my little strongbox where I keep most of my personal stuff.

I do have a unique password but I just like having the token on my account. Have it on Battle.net too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Could be 420. I'm happy with my Scaevan Rapier next week which I'll be able to upgrade to 400 late into 4.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh. Lost my sodding authenticator because it got mixed up with some garbage. Here goes the 100 hoops to get it unlinked through support...........

Worst part is chat/phone support isn't even 7 days a week which is stupid so for now having to do it through email.
    I've had to call SE twice in the past due to authenticator stuff. Both times were relatively painless. Calling makes sure it gets done then and there, the problem is, you can be on hold for a LONG time. If you have the number to your "local" support service, just call them and be prepared to be on hold for 30+ minutes. But once you get on the line with them they can help you out within 10 minutes, if that.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally manage to get them to remove my lost authenticator but can't add my older one....

Keeps saying the serial number is invalid.

Are you not allowed to add the same authenticator a 2nd time to a Square Enix account or something? Like if you remove it once then want to add it again?
    No you can, it just may not be synced up right...I had that same problem. Basically, the system checks your serial number and is expecting a certain number combination or sequence from it, if it doesn't get it right it says it's invalid. Calling support and talking them through it will let them help you. That's why I went with a mobile authenticator instead of the key chain one, easier to manage.

@Granyala

The sign in service still has a security gap, from my understanding, where the launcher after accepting your password keeps the "secure" sign in information for a LONG time after you sign in, ie you have a file on your computer after you sign in saying that you securely signed in and that's what prompts the launcher to put the green PLAY button up. It's possible for someone to use that launcher information file to get access to your account. The security and uniqueness of your password doesn't matter if the person just looks for that file.

This was a pretty big discussion right after the game launched. I doubt it's a big deal anymore given the age of the game, but it never hurts to be more secure.

@Katchii

Just ended up buying a new one mate.

I did check and what I said is true. Some forums/external sources say if you remove an authenticator you cannot add that same one back to it.

I'm not fussed either way. Only £9 for a new one. And I can live without one for 2 weeks.

@Katchii

Just ended up buying a new one mate.

I did check and what I said is true. Some forums/external sources say if you remove an authenticator you cannot add that same one back to it.

I'm not fussed either way. Only £9 for a new one. And I can live without one for 2 weeks.
    Well, what's done is done I suppose. But I had to remove my physical authenticator from my account and was able to talk to customer service to reattach the same one. This was a few years ago. Either way, I hope it all works out for you and you're back to gaming securely soon =).

Any reason you prefer the physical authenticator to the mobile one? Mobile one is way eaiser to manage IMO...as long as you keep the emergency password thingy handy in case you have to remove it (lose, break, go swimming with... your phone).

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Well, what's done is done I suppose. But I had to remove my physical authenticator from my account and was able to talk to customer service to reattach the same one. This was a few years ago. Either way, I hope it all works out for you and you're back to gaming securely soon =).

Any reason you prefer the physical authenticator to the mobile one? Mobile one is way eaiser to manage IMO...as long as you keep the emergency password thingy handy in case you have to remove it (lose, break, go swimming with... your phone).
    I dunno actually. To be honest if I lose this one again I will get it on my smartphone this time.

Gonna keep it in a lockbox that I have just to be safe.

Should be 14 days till it arrives so I'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do have a unique password but I just like having the token on my account. Have it on Battle.net too.
    I'm far too lazy to constantly punch in yet another dumb password. I even have my FF-XIV launcher rigged with a VBscript that it inputs the password for me.
    I wish SE's launcher was as fluent as Blizzards.

- - - Updated - - -

The security and uniqueness of your password doesn't matter if the person just looks for that file.
    If s/o was able to hack my PC to that extent, a GAME account would be the least of my worries, considering that I do online banking etc. Oo
    BTW: it can't be that long, considering that the launcher closes when the game starts and when I restart the game it forces me to punch in the PW again.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2018-10-29 at 06:11 PM.

I'm far too lazy to constantly punch in yet another dumb password. I even have my FF-XIV launcher rigged with a VBscript that it inputs the password for me.
    I wish SE's launcher was as fluent as Blizzards.

- - - Updated - - -

If s/o was able to hack my PC to that extent, a GAME account would be the least of my worries, considering that I do online banking etc. Oo
    BTW: it can't be that long, considering that the launcher closes when the game starts and when I restart the game it forces me to punch in the PW again.
    I'm not a tech wiz about this stuff, but from what I recall the issue is that the file stays on your system for quite a while. When you re-open the launcher it starts a new session, and when you put your password back in it overwrites the previous security check. But if you were to Open your launcher using the previous security check file (not sure what else to call it) it would boot right into the launcher with you able to just hit play. As with any new game, hackers scramble for ways to bypass shit and this was one of the discoveries. Some people even purposely bypass the check just so they don't have to put in their password every time they launch.

You're right though, that if someone was able to hack your system to that extent you'd have bigger issues to worry about besides a game.

I've been hacked in WoW and FFXI before, and it sucks. Even if it is just a game, it's a game you've sunk hundreds of hours into and if you lose all of that, it makes it difficult to be excited to go back to zero. Having an extra layer of security that can help ensure I don't have to worry about that again is worthwhile to me, especially since the mobile authenticator is free so the extra security costs nothing.

I just use the app since everyone i know got hacked a few years ago and i think you got a free minion or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been hacked in WoW and FFXI before, and it sucks.
    Oh I can believe that, it's not so much of an issue in WoW though. Friend of mine got hacked once and it did take him 48hrs to get his acc restored.Personally, 11 years of WoW and 4(?) years of FF-XIV + several trips into other MMOs, not once have I been hacked.

Then again, I am rather harsh about system security in general, running aggressive blockers on websites etc.
    So for me, the hassle of having to grab my smartie every time I want to log in is too annoying to bother. I'm sure I would think differently, if I had your experience.

Oh I can believe that, it's not so much of an issue in WoW though. Friend of mine got hacked once and it did take him 48hrs to get his acc restored.Personally, 11 years of WoW and 4(?) years of FF-XIV + several trips into other MMOs, not once have I been hacked.

Then again, I am rather harsh about system security in general, running aggressive blockers on websites etc.
    So for me, the hassle of having to grab my smartie every time I want to log in is too annoying to bother. I'm sure I would think differently, if I had your experience.
    Yeah, since it happened years ago, I've developed a lot more robust security type habits to keep things like that happening again. I have my smartphone on me everywhere I go anyway so it's not that big of a deal for me to open it and open the app real quick...I'd be doing that anyway to check e-mails, facebook, or watch a quick youtube video while I log in anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember to have the removal key for the app.

I personally use it out of paranoia as it has happened to me once (in BC admittedly). Or sometimes I use it cause games gives me some perks like in PSO2 I get free 200 inventory slots to put all my garbage in.

...it amuses me that they added a whale mount for the whales that flock to the Mog Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    ...it amuses me that they added a whale mount for the whales that flock to the Mog Station.
    Indeed. For my part I would've preferred a Flying Shark mount with a Laser Beam attack.

Yeah... Who would buy that?....

Certainly not me..........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    For my part I would've preferred a Flying Shark mount with a Laser Beam attack.
    Only if a T-Rex and an electric guitar are involved.

I may end up getting that mount if more friends join just to have a two person mount. That's also pretty hilarious. Not a bad looking mount though. WAY better looking than the fat moogle anyway, lol.

I may end up getting that mount if more friends join just to have a two person mount. That's also pretty hilarious. Not a bad looking mount though. WAY better looking than the fat moogle anyway, lol.
    Hook them up with referral codes and you will get a 2 seater Chocobo if they stay subbed for 90+ days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Hook them up with referral codes and you will get a 2 seater Chocobo if they stay subbed for 90+ days.
    If/ when I have a IRL friend sub I'll do that.

This is more for helping random FC members or whatnot through the course of normal play. Would also rather not have to wait 90+ days before getting the reward...if they even decide to stay subbed that long. /shrug.

It's not really much of an issue in this game since every gets a mount and traveling is already pretty fast, would be more for novelty I guess.

Just thought it would be fun =)