Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I didn't say it should be.Most people agree that violence isn't covered under freedom of speech.
    Then Freedom of Speech is not Absolute.

The problem is you think calling someone a faggot = violence, which is absurd.
    I never said that.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

You said hate speech. Is calling someone a faggot not hate speech?
    Threatening People is considered Hate Speech.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Which has fuck all to do with net neutrality.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not the only thing considered hate speech. And the threat would usually have to be based on something like race, religion, or sexuality.
    faggot by itself, itn't a threat just an insult.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    From wikipedia and Dictionary.com: Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.[1][2] The law of some countries describes hate speech as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display that incites violence or prejudicial action against a protected group or individual on the basis of their membership of the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership of the group.

Sooooo yeah. Calling someone a "faggot" is 100% within the literal definition of hate speech. You lost this round champ, better luck next time and do have fun howling into the void <3
    The United States does not have hate speech laws, since American courts have repeatedly ruled that laws criminalizing hate speech violate the guarantee to freedom of speech contained in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[8] There are several categories of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment, such as speech that calls for imminent violence upon a person or group. However, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that hate speech is not one of these categories.[89][not in citation given] Court rulings often must be reexamined to ensure the U.S. Constitution is being upheld in the ruling on whether or not the words count as a violation.[90]

Proponents of hate speech legislation in the United States have argued that freedom of speech undermines the 14th Amendment by bolstering oppressive narrative which demeans equality and the Reconstructive Amendment’s purpose of guaranteeing equal protection under the law.[91]

Different countries are different swing and a miss my guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s a slur, which qualifies as hate speech. Notice the first part of my post that says theats aren’t the only thing that qualifies as hate speech? Slurs qualify.
    Link me the hate speech defined by the consitution or legal system in the United States.

Yup and I don't think that web hosting companies and ISPs and large social media companies should be treated as completely private entities. They should be regulated just like your electric company or water company.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need electricity to live either and yet it's still a utility.
    I disagree with that because if someone breaks the rules they earned a ban. Actions have consquences.

Electric companies can terminate service for late bills hence consquence just not in the winter in some states.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-10-30 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    while i hate to see free speech being stifled, why doesn't the owner just buy their own hosting equipment?

i'm sure supporters of the site could donate enough to keep it running, since not a lot of people actually use it anyway.
    How is free speech getting stifled? Gab does not own their Facebook page, nor does their "Freedom of Speech" being impaired.

Freedom of Speech is applied in public for the US. On the internet, you are no longer in the US. Piss off the owner of the website, and get kicked. No laws, or amendments have been violated.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoomkin View Post
    How is free speech getting stifled? Gab does not own their Facebook page, nor does their "Freedom of Speech" being impaired.

Freedom of Speech is applied in public for the US. On the internet, you are no longer in the US. Piss off the owner of the website, and get kicked. No laws, or amendments have been violated.
    You shouldn't be able to deny internet service and maybe even hosting but social media should remain private in my opinion.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    The United States does not have hate speech laws, since American courts have repeatedly ruled that laws criminalizing hate speech violate the guarantee to freedom of speech contained in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[8] There are several categories of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment, such as speech that calls for imminent violence upon a person or group. However, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that hate speech is not one of these categories.[89][not in citation given] Court rulings often must be reexamined to ensure the U.S. Constitution is being upheld in the ruling on whether or not the words count as a violation.[90]

Proponents of hate speech legislation in the United States have argued that freedom of speech undermines the 14th Amendment by bolstering oppressive narrative which demeans equality and the Reconstructive Amendment’s purpose of guaranteeing equal protection under the law.[91]

Different countries are different swing and a miss my guy.
    The problem with this argument is that you're essentially saying that "freedom of speech" as defined by the US constitution is important because it's in the constitution.

You have yourself provided two indicators that maybe the US constitution has it wrong:
    1) Proponents of hate speech legislation have made a case that allowing hate speech makes the constitution inconsistent
    2) Many other countries which do protect freedom of speech have provisions that exclude hate speech from those protections.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The problem with this argument is that you're essentially saying that "freedom of speech" as defined by the US constitution is important because it's in the constitution.

You have yourself provided two indicators that maybe the US constitution has it wrong:
    1) Proponents of hate speech legislation have made a case that allowing hate speech makes the constitution inconsistent
    2) Many other countries which do protect freedom of speech have provisions that exclude hate speech from those protections.
    Can you point to that legistation? I personally think it's the best defintion of freedom of speech possible don't threaten and protects other freedom of association the perfect balance.

I feel like this threads focus was the United States but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient" as determined by a government or private institution, for example, corporate censorship.

Err, wrong, censorship can be done by private institutions, it's why -guess what- tv stations have been able to censor things for decades! You miss the point of what I've said and argue at the strawman nowhere near me.

Protip: you can be for free speech as a philosophical and humanitarian position, and it can be a personal ethic. I would be taken off your property for trespassing, but if I wanted to sit in my property and shout "death to wetbacks" I can too! That is why madonna was not in trouble for saying "let's blow up the white house!"
    You can still access though things... Once gab finds a new host you can still access gab.

What happens if nobody wants to host gab?
    You can host your on off a server from what I've read. You need to purchase a domain though they went through go daddy but there are alternatives The government should provide them if they wanna play moderator or if not than stop whining. You have pro business republicans in the house being hypocrtical as usual it's fucking annoying.

A threat is a threat and hate speech is hate speech. They are both legally distinct and socially distinct.
    They may be Legally Distinct in the USA but in no way are they Socially Distinct, in fact in other countries like the UK threats are considered Hate Speech.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a pro business Republican I am a Liberal lol
    What kind of Liberal?
    Last edited by szechuan; 2018-10-30 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    personally, i'm just waiting for the thread about a website "under attack" for hosting the man that perpetrated the murders to grow longer than the thread about the murders themselves. Gotta keep that conservative persecution complex going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I'm not a pro business Republican I am a Liberal lol
    I never said you were a republican, It's just fucking really hypocritcal for them. A lot of them want to remove discrimation laws but forcing social media companies to cator to everybody is something they care about now /rolleyes. It's paper thin they just know it's something there voters care about while they attack democracy every day with bullshit memos and stacking the courts.

They don't care about democracy at all and want it to drown.

First of all Europe isn't a country... and second of all in which European country are threats considered Hate Speech?
    I meant the UK.

Because I would say that kind of undermines the idea of hate speech.
    Not at all.

Okay I don't really care what the UK does, they think voicing support for ISIS should be illegal too.
    Fair enough, regardless Threatening people is hate speech Socially.

Other European countries aside from the UK also consider Threats Hate Speech.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2018-10-30 at 07:44 AM.

I agree, but that's why I'm not a Republican. That's the LEAST of their fucking hypocrisy. I mean anti-big government but also they want the government to control women's bodies and keep people from doing drugs? Oh ok, that's totally consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I don't really care what the UK does, they think voicing support for ISIS should be illegal too, which is retarded.
    I don't think it should be illegal and thanks for joining the fbi watch list. If it's an underage person, I'd like for them to have to attend mandatory counselling but that probably to fucked up.

Deleted
    Oh sweetie. That's 1st grade level of whataboutism. You're gonna to do have to do better than that to bait anyone here
    It's not whataboutism.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    But the Christians in the NT were basically refugees, not welcomed by the Jewish barely tolerated by the Romans.
    Dont even try this. They won't even listen, these bigots can't use their brains anyway. History ? What the hell is that ! Even if SOME (SOME!!!) of it is in your crappy "holy book"

Oh sweety. We're not talking about the government in this thread or Constitutional speech rights. We're talking about what constitutes a generally accepted definition of hate speech in the context of a privately owned non government business which regulates patrons' use of its provisional platform.

Now, honest question...are you new? To the whole baiting thing, I mean. Because I daresay you're in need of a fair bit of practice if you're ever going to convince someone you're doing anything other than blatantly arguing in bad faith and tilting your hat at straw men. Your performance lacks versimillitude--you need to be more subtle, or, alternatively, exceedingly bombastic to get the desperate attention you crave. Otherwise you merely come across as a logic-challenged posturing misanthrope, and that's hardly any fun for anyone ;-)
    Nah me boomzy were talking about the government well at least in the context of the dicussion. It literally started with him saying you want the word faggot to be consider hate speech. So, sorry try harder next time another swing and a miss.

off topic dicussion or points get brought up sometimes my guy do try to keep up.

I'm not I just like banter it's fun. I enjoy a bit of savagery my good sir.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-10-30 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    I'd probably rush to put my money in a bank that steals money from fascist murderers. Better than stealing money from the poor, as is the business model for most banks.
    Just for clarification, no money was stolen from Alex Jones. (At least I hope not.) When they cancel an account, money is withdrawn.