Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    This is an odd jab at Apple considering what they're renowned for is supporting their old phones and tablets for way longer than other manufacturers. The update infamous for "slowdown" was in actuallity a real life saver for my old iphone whose battery had gone through 700+ish cycles at that point and couldn't sustain a prolonged high CPU workload.
    Apple recently got fined in Italy for it (though they are still disputing said fine), on an anecdotal basis I always hear from apple users how some new update made their old phone go to shit in terms of instability, software randomly breaking etc, the last update for my Iphone 5 killed Siri. If you were to have an original 2010 Ipad now it still has the processing power for web browsing, youtube etc and jailbroken versions were still running youtube flawlessly until I think last month, but apple had long abandoned it and effectively ensured it became a brick, only jailbroken versions remained somewhat usable.

If you had more open-ended hardware you can always get around these things, the only real limitation being the power under the hood.. With apple products that's quite a difference, they don't want you repairing them and beyond jailbreaking the things you will always run out of working software before the hardware is obsolete.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You youngsters don't understand anything in quality, XP is where it is!

*shakes cane*

People need to get on with the times. Windows 8 is a dead end outright so it's not even a contender, sticking to Windows 7 is simply pointless - you will what... keep it for one more year? Maybe two, until you are literally forced to upgrade because it won't be supported by a bunch of software at that point?

Get to 10 and don't hump your brain over nonsense.
    Best windows was win2k, I used that till vista came out, if I had known how bad vista was I would have kept using it till win7.

Custom Windows 7, no bloatware, no addons, even no Internet Exploder.

You need to get firefox somewhere manually though if you want to use it. I suggest pre-downloading it on your install media to be able to connect to the internet if your NIC module driver isn't natively in the OS image.

https://mega.nz/#!F08UzAiD!fCvQPRTkb...SQye1z9XIkpzqY

Credits go to Team Grinder over at Overclock.net, the image is from December 2016. Their last supported version. It is updated to that point, and stripped of all telemetry.

On topic. Me personally, I finally moved to Win10. But I know a lot of you are better off at 7, especially on newer hardware since many of the features are better supported on the newer OS than the older one. Especially kernel functionalities and thread scheduling algorithms. They do give a difference in feel as to how things work(not those 2 specifically but in general) to those of us who are susceptible to the minutia of things.

PS. Win 7 has far reduced mouse cursor reset occurences. This is probably due to the previous kernel operating in ticking mode. The newer ones since 8 are operating in tickless and have many of the changes made to the way the cursor is being handled. Just an FYI.

You'll need your own key to activate that Windows 7, it is not preloaded with some pycckuu(russkij) hacks.

PPS. Now obviously, the way forward though in the near future most likely is to actually start looking towards the UNIX derivatives. I mean, Windows is great for a Desktop environment, but it's not that far ahead for functionality from Linux distros and to be frankly honest, it's only in because as always, I grew up with it and I'm just used to it.

I use Win 10 for home use because of the obvious. Games. But that may yet change as Vulkan grows and grows. For work, I've been on Linux for a year now. And all of the other household machines, are all Linux. I'd reccomend for people to look towards that avenue but as always, be vary, because it doesn't hold your hand for you with GUIs for everything, like Windows and Apple does.
    Last edited by Nussa; 2018-11-01 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10, though the "suggested apps/ provisioned apps" are a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is some hilarious advice.
    Oh wow, brain got ahead of my fingers in the thought process again. Obviously, Win 10 for the newer hardware.

I guess I just wanted to say that I know the lot of you praise Win 7, and yeah, it's still good. For the newer hw though, stick with 10.

Just go 10, 7 is fine, EOL means nothing but if you have to upgrade go 10.

That said, not considering Ubuntu? I use Ubuntu at home, surface is 10, work PC is 10 and laptop is 7.

I like and dislike them all to different degrees daily

10 easily, it works and will be the future-proof option.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    10 easily, it works and will be the future-proof option.
    With time it'll be your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    EOL most assuredly has meaning. Please, don’t spread lies.
    My apologies I should have been more specific.

Windows 7 will continue to work past EOL however you won't receive any further security or feature updates, so while I said means nothing, a better phrase would have been "will continue to work as current".

In order to stay up to date with latest fixes and security then of course you should go to a supported version, in this case best value and features can be found in Windows 10, that said some may weigh up the pros and cons and decide that 7 is still their preference.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Name me one reason to dump Win 7.

I got 64-bit Win 7 SP1 up and running for couple of years since last re-installation. Working like a charm.

And it is still "My computer" instead of "This PC" to boot. Because, you know, if you run Win 10, your computer is not yours, ha-ha.

P.S. I got those "updates" blocked for years. MS can keep em!
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    Easy, when Microsoft decides it needs money from you once again. They supported XP forever well past its prime. Im sure 7 will be similar.
    Last edited by js3915; 2018-11-08 at 04:29 PM.

I got 64-bit Win 7 SP1 up and running for couple of years since last re-installation. Working like a charm.

And it is still "My computer" instead of "This PC" to boot. Because, you know, if you run Win 10, your computer is not yours, ha-ha.

P.S. I got those "updates" blocked for years. MS can keep em!
    It's funny, when XP came out with the whole "my computer" stuff and the big colourful interface I found it pretty patronising and almost childish. Never thought I would see the day it was missed lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    DirectX 12.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with Windows 10. And don't go with Windows 7 like others are saying. Support will end for W7 in 15 months.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say that I have more hatred for Windows 10 lately. So recently I've had my AMD driver crash (haha yes I know) and it seems it's due to a recent Windows 10 update. Apparently if the driver pauses for more than 2 seconds Windows will reset the driver, so the solution is to go into regedit and put in a TdrDelay and set it to 8. I also have a Creative Recon3D PCIE sound card that sometimes doesn't have working front speakers when I wake my PC from sleep. This is an old 2015 issue that never got resolved and Creative never updated the drivers to fix this, but it started with a Windows 10 update.

I can see why some people might want to use Windows 7 with issues like these appearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more joy. So I wake up and turn on my PC and Chrome and Windows explorer is gone as if the PC restarted itself. Going through Event Viewer shows that it has indeed been restarting itself in the middle of the night. Either that or my PC is crashing and restarting itself, but Event Viewer shows this when the PC is turned back on.

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4462918)

Not sure what kind of update that is but I'm willing to bet my PC restarted and shut off my programs for this.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    10. Flat out. A lot of people just say so, but there's a few reasons (as this is all an opinion piece anyway). Some background. I do IT tech support. I fix/repair/diagnose hundreds of computers a week.

-I have to fix a LOT more OS related issues with 7/8 than I do 10. Most of it because X program isn't supported by the company anymore with old versions.
    -Programs and patches are becoming more and more vulnerable as time goes on. 10 will patch these ASAP, given it's a continuing service. Less so with older.
    -Driver problems. All the time. Whatever you want to say about Win10 drivers, it has less problems. Flat out.

More and more programs and games and companies are dropping or refusing to support 7, and many have dropped 8 already. Microsoft too, is dropping support for certain things in 7 and 8 already, even if their continued support goes on.

You'll have to upgrade anyway, eventually. Win8 support is more sparse than Win7.

It performs better (even if marginally), but significantly better than 8. But is significantly easier to repair, as well.

A lot of this stuff may not actually affect you, but if given a reason to choose between the two, 10 is a clear winner.

EDIT: A Lot of people have been calling WIn10 "Malware" or worrying about "Telemetry". If you're legitimately concerned about this issue... Get off the internet. Seriously. Log off this website. Never come back. Pull the plug on your ethernet. You cannot 'be concerned about data' and also 'use the internet'. There is so much data being collected on everything else you do... The only real reason to 'be concerned' is literally to be trend and cool and 'fight the system'.

Seriously. The info Win10 collects is a fraction of what literally everything else you do does. And again, it's harmless. The whole "But it's mine" mentality is something that went away with dialup internet. Get over it. Im sorry, but get over it, move on, and stop stressing over things that dont matter.
    As someone who previously worked with PC support often before being promoted to my current job this guy gets it. Windows 10 has less failures, has better support, and flat out can fix itself compared to some previous windows editions. The only real hit on it as a OS is data collection and realistically unless you are using TOR or other sophisticated systems that 99% of people do not use, your data is going to be collected one way or another. And honestly, if you're using TOR, you are likely using Linux anyway.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuki Asuna View Post
    Go with Windows 10. And don't go with Windows 7 like others are saying. Support will end for W7 in 15 months.
    They said that about XP but kept pushing back the EoL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    As someone who previously worked with PC support often before being promoted to my current job this guy gets it. Windows 10 has less failures, has better support, and flat out can fix itself compared to some previous windows editions. The only real hit on it as a OS is data collection and realistically unless you are using TOR or other sophisticated systems that 99% of people do not use, your data is going to be collected one way or another. And honestly, if you're using TOR, you are likely using Linux anyway.
    Why they invented VPNs