Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    But in the future, our planet is a giant city... we'll have oxygen produced by machines, we'll be fine.
    The world would turn into a desert before that. It's largely because of technological-prometheist nerds that we are screwed.

With this new Brazilian dictatorship, we must say bye bye amazon

Yes a dictator with 59 million votes...

Quote Originally Posted by otro View Post
    I respect these votes, but we do not know what will happen in the future with this new regime

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Yeah..... jungle soil is hard to grow things.....umm.... Really? Its the JUNGLE!!!!!
    No he's right. Soil that is good at growing jungle plants is very poor at growing crops. Removing the jungle from the area strips the soils of nutrients and leaves it barren within a matter of years. This is why 'slash & burn' is an ongoing thing, you burn a piece of jungle and the ash mostly keeps it functional as soil for at least a year or two, but then it goes barren, so you burn the next section, etc.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlokh View Post
    Funny how brazillians here think that if Bolsonaro (a neo-liberal-colonialist/neo-nazi) wants to exploitd the Amazon rainforest, he'll be doing it for the benefit of the "people".
    Only the right-wing ones, who supported him, think that.

- - - Updated - - -

If it talks like a dictator, praises the dictatorship, says that the previous dictatorship should have killed more people, has a bunch of pro-dictatorship people supporting him, BUT was democratically elected...

I guess he's a democratically elected president, and nothing else, right?

Let's keep believing that. Let's ignore the authoritarian measures that he has promised to implement. Let's ignore the fact that the police in Brazil is already raiding universities to curb anti-fascism actions. I'm sure everything will turn out to be fine.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have not seen anything which suggests he will plunder the Amazon rain forest. He is suggesting do what a lot of industrialized countries do. Utilize his country's' natural resources to help it's citizens prosper more. Of course there needs to be checks in place. But like in the US, which still has about 75% of the forest coverage we had when the colonists arrived, it can be done without destroying a country's natural environment.

It Is that or you let your countrymen suffer from a lack of economic growth and prosperity. Most Brazilians I feel safe to say, do not want to live in a jungle in grass huts.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If it talks like a dictator, praises the dictatorship, says that the previous dictatorship should have killed more people, has a bunch of pro-dictatorship people supporting him, BUT was democratically elected...

Let's keep believing that. Let's ignore the authoritarian measures that he has promised to implement. Let's ignore the fact that the police in Brazil is already raiding universities to curb anti-fascism actions. I'm sure everything will turn out to be fine.
    To be fair, the supreme court just voted to uphold the decision that the raiding was irregular and that further prohibitions and censorship should not be allowed.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People are calling him a Nazi already.
    They were doing that when that girl got the swastika carved in to her flesh, that was later found be self inflicted, another false "Hate" crime that seems to be oh so common among the left...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zehzao View Post
    On the topic about the rainforest i'll say this, for the last 30 years everything has gone to shit, the last president elected cut almost 75% of the budget designed to protect the rainforest, so its pretty clear our country doesn't care about it anymore, even some international ongs started to "threat" our government saying they're going to stop investing because we're not fighting all the illegal deforestation going around.
    Over the last 10 things have improved, with the rate of deforestation falling to roughly 1/5th was it was. The problem is a reversal of that trend.

People just got up and left the land and did not replant anything. Why not just do this in the Amazon as well..
    The dust bowl didn't just fix itself. A major project to create shelterbelts was launched, among other measures such as educating farmers to improve their farming practices.

Re-expanding the rain forest in any useful time frame will require human intervention, not just walking away.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    They were doing that when that girl got the swastika carved in to her flesh, that was later found be self inflicted, another false "Hate" crime that seems to be oh so common among the left...
    I'm sure that was the only reason why they called him a Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, exactly. It makes him an ellected president Who talk shit. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Over the last 10 things have improved, with the rate of deforestation falling to roughly 1/5th was it was. The problem is a reversal of that trend.

The dust bowl didn't just fix itself. A major project to create shelterbelts was launched, among other measures such as educating farmers to improve their farming practices.

Re-expanding the rain forest in any useful time frame will require human intervention, not just walking away.
    The thing is, thats not because of government action, we started to have international support/intervention around 1997 and, with that, a growth in protected areas, we got to almost 200 million hectare around 2010 (almost 30% of Amazon), problem is the other 70% is becoming worse and they're starting to pressure those protected areas.

Thats one of the reasons we got "threats" from the same "international help" that if we keep fucking it up they're just going to give up, my fear is that without international intervention we're going to lose this war, since our politicians don't care because they profit too much from it.

And? /10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I have not seen anything which suggests he will plunder the Amazon rain forest. He is suggesting do what a lot of industrialized countries do. Utilize his country's' natural resources to help it's citizens prosper more.
    That's an odd way to refer to CEOs.

It Is that or you let your countrymen suffer from a lack of economic growth and prosperity. Most Brazilians I feel safe to say, do not want to live in a jungle in grass huts.
    Why should committing omnicide be rewarded with prosperity?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

They are considering renaming the Ministry of Human Rights to Ministry of the Family. I'm sure that's nothing, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    But in the future, our planet is a giant city... we'll have oxygen produced by machines, we'll be fine.
    Most of humanity will be gone before then... and oxygen is not the problem.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah..... jungle soil is hard to grow things.....umm.... Really? Its the JUNGLE!!!!!
    It's okay for a few years of grassland or maybe some plantations if enough irrigation, then it turns into savannah or desert, if not earlier by erosion. Fertile jungle ground is only a thin layer, mostly made up of micro-organisms and actual dead/rotten jungle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Again, burning the trees means a few years (at best) of workable crops. What do you think happened with the dust bowls ? (dust bowl won't happen there-rain-this is an example)
    you do what we do here in America, you anhydrous the shit outta the land. we fertilize twice a year here on 1500 acres. costs us about 55k dollars. we make 20 times that on our harvested crops. it is totally profitable to have shit land. as long as you have enough of it.

That doesn't stop someone from being a dictator.In fact, the militar intervention(which led to the Brazilian dictatorship), had the people support(alongside US's) during the cold War over the fear of a Communist government on latin america.

Also, on topic, cutting down the amazon forests can cause way more problems then people might think.There is a term "Flying rivers", it exist to call the winds that carry so much Humidity to the Latin america bringing rain to those regions...

"
    The main flying river in Brazil is born in the Atlantic Ocean, a volume bomb that incorporates the evaporation of the Amazon rainforest, crashes in the Andes and escapes towards the south of the country. "The water vapor that makes this route is very important for the rains of almost all Brazil," says the agronomist engineer Enéas Salati, from the University of São Paulo (USP)"

If those forest didn't exist, for example, São paulo would be a Desert. cuting down the Amazon its not simply a matter of planting or just resources.It affects the whole of the Brazilian eccosystem.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

It is thought that the region east of the Amazon forest was also part of the forest, up to 10,000 years ago, when climate changes turned it into the semi-arid region it is today. Ironically, the semi-arid is the region that had the greatest opposition to Bolsonaro, and possibly his attack on the Amazon forest will increase its reach westward, in the future.

He is unifying the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Agriculture. And its minister is expected to be a person which has represented the farmers' wants before.
    Last edited by LMuhlen; 2018-11-01 at 01:35 AM.