Compact Micro-ITX Case with RX460

I have an old I3-4160 CPU with a Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro-ATX (24.4cm x 17.0cm) motherboard. I would like to build an HTPC with it and a Sapphire RX 460 graphics card. I will be using either an SSD or a 3.5" HD drive depending on what is available.

Does anyone have any ideas for a reasonably priced compact case that I can use. Preferably something slim. I have looked but it seems like everything that takes a Micro-ATX MB is either a mini tower or a slim box that doesn't have space for a graphics card.

Deleted
    The problem is likely to be that most modern HTPC or Small Form Factor cases are for mini-ITX m/b's and require at least short, but often SFX PSU's (Fractal Design Node 202 for example).

Only a modern HTPC case expects a GPU in there.

How possible is it for you to build the PC into or onto something? Stand-offs and PCI-E riser cables are easy to come by and beyond that it's quite easy to build a flat pc, even mounted on the underside of a surface. Draws can be used, though cooling/ventilation needs consideration clearly, and some people aren't prepared to take a saw to a decent bit of furniture

Slim is fine, get something like this: Gigabyte 1050ti low profile

Has comparable performance to the 460, if not better. Needs to extra power from a power supply. All it needs is two pcie low profile slots.

And how's this for a case? Apex DM-387
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2018-11-01 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I have an old I3-4160 CPU with a Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro-ATX (24.4cm x 17.0cm) motherboard. I would like to build an HTPC with it and a Sapphire RX 460 graphics card. I will be using either an SSD or a 3.5" HD drive depending on what is available.

Does anyone have any ideas for a reasonably priced compact case that I can use. Preferably something slim. I have looked but it seems like everything that takes a Micro-ATX MB is either a mini tower or a slim box that doesn't have space for a graphics card.
    Check out the Nano S from Fractal. Near every 2 Slot GPU fits.

Normal PSUs also fit.

For the GPU i would choose a good RX 570 4GB like:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-283-_-Product

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Slim is fine, get something like this: Gigabyte 1050ti low profile

Has comparable performance to the 460, if not better. Needs to extra power from a power supply. All it needs is two pcie low profile slots.
    The 1050ti is atm overpriced the RX 570 cost near the same and offers more power + freesync support.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Check out the Nano S from Fractal. Near every 2 Slot GPU fits.

Normal PSUs also fit.

For the GPU i would choose a good RX 570 4GB like:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-283-_-Product

The 1050ti is atm overpriced the RX 570 cost near the same and offers more power + freesync support.
    Was suggesting it because it's low profile

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post

As long as we're clear that Micro ATX and Mini ITX are two entirely separate things.

You're not going to find a good "slim" case that supports Micro ATX.

If you want to build a slim HTPC, its going to be in mITX.

If you want a small-ish mATX case, those exist, but it's still not going to be "small" or "slim".

Since it seems like the only reason you're doing this is to re-use the existing motherboard, your best bets are either to build your own case (like DonGenaro recommended) which is not actually that tough. You could go get about 25$ worth of nice oak plywood and some varnish, and a 4$ piece of acrylic for a window/backplate/vent. Paint or stain/varnish to match your entertainment center...

Or... just live with an mATX tower. There are some that are small, by PC case standards.... just not mITX small.

I'd recommend BitFenix's Prodigy-M:
    https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/p...sis/prodigy-m/

or Phenom:
    https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/p...enom-micro-atx

Those two actually have the same internal layout, just the outsides are different. I think the Phenom is a little more understated and would look better in a home theater setup. You can remove the legs from the Prodigy-M if you want. My wife's build uses that case, though i customized it (lasered the acrylic window and had it custom painted by a friend who does WH40k modelling). Its a solid little case, and easy to work in, fits full size parts (full size ATX PSU, GPUs, and an mATX motherboard). Looks like the Colossus also uses the same internal layout, but its kinda gamery-garish, IMO (https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/p...ssus-micro-atx).

Seems like Cooler Master has an mATX version of the Core V20 cube:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ive used the mITX version a ton (over 70 builds), and its relatively easy to work in. I cant imagine the mATX version is any different, since the layout looks the same, just bigger.

Silverstone has a whole line of cases meant for home theaters, that look like home theater appliances.. but they are super pricy.

My personal suggestion of the above is the Phenom or build your own.

Or sell what you've got for what you can get and get a NUC. Even the low-ish-end NUCs are more than capable of being a good HTPC. There's one thats ~200 for a quad core Pentium Gold. Im seriously co nsidering replacing my aging Mac Mini HTPC with it. That is also an option - if you can find a good used 2012 Mac Mini Server, they make AMAZING HTPCs (my current HTPC is considerably older - a 2009, with a Core 2 Duo) - they have a full-up 2.2ghz quad-core i7 (with HT), can fit 16GB of RAM, have a great port selection (USB3, TB2/DisplayPort, and HDMI) and the onboard video is plenty if you dont need 4k playback. You can usually grab them for ~300$. Put the OS of your choice on it if you dont like MacOS (itll support most flavors of Linux and Windows 7 or later just fine).

My wife still uses one for her daily driver.