Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It is not phasing, morons. It is starting and a blue just announced it will be in Classic.
    Just. Announced.

This is terrible.

How could they hype a demo that turns people away? Players are near you, but really aren't because you can't see them in your shard. What a clusterfuck this demo is turning out to be.

If a bunch of people stand in the same area and can't find stuff to do, they can always go somewhere else. Sharding is a complete fail. It breaks immersion to the world you are in - not a bunch of separate parallel worlds. World PVP becomes lame as well. What a disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phasing =/= sharding. There's sharding in the classic demo, and it's much worse than phasing. It can cause players, nodes, and mobs disseapear in front of you on a whim. It's one of the big factors that destroyed the community in new WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    If a bunch of people stand in the same area and can't find stuff to do, they can always go somewhere else. Sharding is a complete fail.
    Sharding is not about balancing people to quest mobs, its about stability of the realms.
    Sure, classic crashed a lot, especially on launch. But seriously noone wants constant crashing to be part of the "authentic experience".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    if people could stop freaking out and shitting themselves over a limited demo of a game that's still in development, that'd be great
    People dont wanna listen, they wanna be upset, just look at the idiots whos spamming their #nOcHaNgEs and start frothing from the mouth if u mention anything that was not in Vanilla.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelrine View Post
    This is most likely to stop the utter swarm for now.
    Like...seriously. Otherwise you'd all be playing a power point presentation.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    that's the end of the game if they create it with phasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Sharding is not about balancing people to quest mobs, its about stability of the realms.
    Sure, classic crashed a lot, especially on launch. But seriously noone wants constant crashing to be part of the "authentic experience".
    Blizzard can't accomplish what private servers do easily without crashing? This is not the world Vanilla fans want.

If there are hundreds of other players in my vicinity, I WANT TO SEE THEM ALL.

Sharding is largely a technical necessity to handle the onslaught in certain zones - that's why it's active on RP servers on expansion launches, for example, even though RP servers don't normally have sharding. Playing with 500 players on your screen is a miserable experience for everyone involved.

Can you even IMAGINE questing with 100 other people when there is no such thing as shared mob tagging? Please.

Sharding/Phasing/Whatever is only being used for the demo, because they want everyone to experience the demo. Otherwise there would be only like one server and that one overloads fast. The final version WON'T have it.

Edit: Forgot the link: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...548630#post-15

They already said that they wont have Sharding/Phasing in the final version and think about a solution already, that they not know of as of yet, how to deal with immense server load etc. on classic realms WITHOUT destroying the classic version itself.
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

blizzard are making a sensible decision wrt realm sharding

You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.
    no phasing, no crz, but sharding will exist initially for server stability issues.

Yeah, people really have to understand that sharding is NECESSARY for a server launch, when there's going to be 500+ people all in one area all fighting for the same mobs.

Quest mobs in vanilla had a respawn time of roughly 2-3 minutes. And quests often required you to kill 8-15 of them. You think people are going to want to sit around waiting 2 hours just to complete 1 quest by competing with 20+ other people all sitting on the respawn point for 1 mob, just for the sake of being "no changes no changes reee no changes" ?

Put sharding in the game for the first week or two, then disable it afterward. Easy enough.

Blizzard can't accomplish what private servers do easily without crashing? This is not the world Vanilla fans want.
    And its not the world the Vanilla fans are going to get, its a freakin demo of a game over a half year away made just to let people try it.

If you were hoping for no sharding, you're actually out of your mind. Classic is very likely going to see an absolutely enormous amount of people trying to play in the first few weeks and then see an absolutely enormous drop off. The only sensible way to deal with that is sharding. Creating more realms would create a situation where most of the realms are dead in the first 6 months. Look at current WoW, i'm guessing they've learned from that.

It's such a difficult call, simply because of all the people that will just jump in there to experience the first five levels and then drop it.

This release will most likely dwarf most expansion releases, and those were already one massive pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerad View Post
    Sharding/Phasing/Whatever is only being used for the demo, because they want everyone to experience the demo. Otherwise there would be only like one server and that one overloads fast. The final version WON'T have it.

They already said that they wont have Sharding/Phasing in the final version and think about a solution already, that they not know of as of yet, how to deal with immense server load etc. on classic realms WITHOUT destroying the classic version itself.
    Actually, in that very post, he confirms it's not just for the demo. It'll be used to keep realms stable.
    However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerad View Post

But now they change their mind. Per their own quote that sharding is the best solution, I say dynamic spawning is their best solution.

And it's not just for starting zones then. Massive PVP raids on capitol cities will also be sharded per their definition. Or leveling spots like STV. It does not belong in Vanilla. It does not belong in Classic. Whatever Blizzard wants to call it, they are missing the mark by modifying how people play Classic.

At this point, Sharding is a real disappointment. It goes against why this version of WoW was even being created.

If they continue on this path, they are only bolstering the private server community, who can, you know actually see several hundred people idleing in Ironforge ... not just a couple dozen.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-11-03 at 12:06 AM.

Deleted
    playing classic FAIL!!111!?????

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    The only reason you wouldn't see them is if the particular zone you're in is already overpopulated. So, you'll still see players.
    Big raids on capitol cities will be sharded. Cities with large populations will be sharded. STV will be sharded. Yes, it's terrible.

Those places do get overpopulated, and players need to see everyone. Big war in Redridge. Where is everyone, I only see 5 people standing around...

Its funny how, myself and lots of other ppl was worried about many things that blizz can implement to destroy classic b4 realese even. And turns out that they actually can destroy all hype some ppl had with one "feature". Lets make it clear sharding is single one thing that destroyed communities in wow and now they decided to implement it in classic... i mean i was hoping its bs, but then blue post comfirmed it that there will be sharding in new classic. I guess for true vanilla exp we gotta stick to private servers.

Deleted
    Big raids on capitol cities will be sharded. Cities with large populations will be sharded. STV will be sharded. Yes, it's terrible.

Those places do get overpopulated, and players need to see everyone. Big war in Redridge. Where is everyone, I only see 5 people standing around...
    I'm not sure where they said that sharding would be permanent throughout the game? I just saw them saying that the initial weeks might have some sharding in some zones. That might certainly not include STV for example. As for big raids on capitals? Come on... that would be avaible anyway in just a couple of weeks afterwards. It's just to create server stability without having to make 100 of servers that will die off in the future.