Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Horde Battle for Zandalari Warlocks

Greetings everyone. I ask for a moment of your time today so that we can all address the most recent controversial topic regarding the Zandalari trolls.

On November 2nd blizzard has announced on their "World of Warcraft: What's next" panel that the Zandalari race could be a total of 10 classes, which included Warlock.

No problems up to this point, except for the fact that ever since, they have refused to acknowledge the class on their recaps and official Allied Races website.

While we still haven't gotten a response from Blizzard, it is time to start fighting for this class before it is simply swept under the rug.

But why do it?

I can imagine many people are excited for Paladins, and I'm happy for you, but I must now ask that you lend a hand for this cause, and show blizzard it isn't ok to alienate a part of their playerbase.

What is stopping blizzard?

Apparently the number of classes Zandalari and Kul Tirans have match those of the Dark Irons and Mag'har.

But why must it be so?

Blizzard has insisted that the classes they pick for allied races are those that make sense Lore wise. Having that in mind, faction and race assimetry are inevitable but that's not particularly a bad thing nor should be something that would prevent blizzard from adding classes, since they are going with the Lore Wise appropriate method previously mentioned.

Why Warlocks?

Zandalari Warlocks make a case for a class fantasy that is quite unique among every other warlock.

Zandalari Warlocks have been called Demoniacs since Vanilla WoW, and their way of operating is quite different from the Warlocks we're used to seeing. Their knowledge of Demonology allows them to possess Demons, using their power to fortify themselves and their spells.

But isn't that similar to Demon Hunters?

Warlocks and Demon Hunters share practices and techniques, but what separates them Lore wise is the fact Demoniacs, like other Warlocks, make such practices in order to empower themselves for their own gain and their faction, they are not known to actively pursue the Legion the way Demon Hunters do. Think about Demo Locks before having Meta taken away from them. That's a Demoniac.

When you talk about Demon Hunters, you will be talking about Illidari, the followers of Illidan, because your practices alone do not make you a Demon Hunter, but your intent. Demon Hunters have rituals and ideologies that are strictly their own. They bind a Demon to themselves, they blind themselves, they perform ritualistic tattooings to control the Demon within themselves. Their reason of existence is to stop the Legion.

This is what makes Demoniacs closer to Warlocks than they would ever be of Demon Hunters, despite the fact they share some practices, but yet again, don't Warlocks and Demon Hunters share similarities too?

But where do Warlocks stand in Zandalari society?

It is hard to tell for the lack of information in BfA, but what we know is that Zandalari Spiritweavers, who use Warlock spells are known to have followed Zul into the Isle of Thunder, and we know there is at least one named Zandalari Warlock in Vol'dun, Za'roco the Grifter.

What we can tell from this is that Zul definitely allowed Warlocks in his ranks because he isn't bound by the Loa Zealotry of most of Zandalari society, which explains the Zandalari Warlocks in Vol'dun.

Zandalari society is one of strict caste systems: In Zuldazar you can see children performing a test in order to see if they are gifted by the Loa. Those that are will start training to become Priests, Paladins, Arcanitals, Shamans... perhaps the most revered of classes, those that lack the gift still have a chance of becoming Warriors, given that they are physically capable. The casteless are kept in the margins of society, and likely either accept that their life becomes one of poverty or develop their own methods. Warlocks, much like Rogues, are not properly at the top of the pyramid, quite the contrary. They might even the the ones more likely to be exiled to Vol'dun.

So what place do they have in society? Why should we be able to play them?

That's simple. Zandalari society is deeply flawed. It is oppressive and the higher castes are allowed to control everyone else. It is imperative that the Zandalari open themselves to both the world and for the sake of their own people, and I believe that is Talanji's intent. The Zandalari are very vulnerable right now and they need to unite, even if it means reforming their society because the Worship of the Loa and extremist zealotry alone will not save them, or else none of the hardships, disasters and setbacks they had would have happened. Zandalari society is deeply flawed and extremely conservative, it has led the higher castes to indulge in their comfort without caring for the rest of the world and their own people. They must adapt and change and by joining the Horde I believe they are already starting.

As they said in the Blizzcon panel, the Zandalari are a very versatile people, but they require the freedom to be able to openly apply their skills and schools of knowledge without fear of procecution

This being said, it makes sense for the Zandalari to have the same number of classes as their Troll brethren, the Darkspear, the only difference being the DK and Paladin classes. I believe they have much in common and will only grow closer as time passes.

But do people want the Warlock class?

My goodness do they. (This is but a small compilation)

Still have doubts? Just look how badass they look!

So let us make some noise and let blizzard know how we feel and how us, as fans, players and lovers of WoW deserve that they keep their word.

Note: Please keep the conversation civil, focus on the matter at hand and avoid focusing on other classes that aren't the Warlock or other races that aren't the Zandalari. I am sure there is a lot to talk about but this isn't the right thread for such. Be kind.

Don't say things like "They should remove X and replace with Y" that's a super toxic position to have. We all love the Zandalari and we want them to have more, not less.

Thank you for your attention, have a great day/night.
    Last edited by mmocd3e6616559; 2018-11-05 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuen View Post
    are more like demon hunters
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    Similar concepts don't make them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    Not that far off from Grimoire of Sacrifice as well, however.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

They said they are considering to add Mages to the Kul Tiran humans.

So I'd say any class mentioned in the Allied Race page is just not final. Or basically, they just don't know what they are doing or are having serious communication problems internally.

If they announced it on the What's Next panel, they are likely going to be Warlocks. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know you've mentioned that you'd like to keep the the conversation focused on Zandalari warlocks and nothing else but, realistically, the comparison between what Zandalari get and what other races (or specifically what allied races get) is a conversation that's relevant to Blizzard. If they've considered removing or decided to remove warlocks as a class option, that's the most likely culprit. It's impossible to discuss without talking about that at least a little bit.

Dark Irons are the class number equivalent to Zandalari, so the obvious solution would be to give a 10th class to Dark Irons to offset it, but that's complicated by the fact that their 10th non-hero class would be druid (which isn't going to happen). Neither hero class is a good option either, so they might've felt compelled to roll back one Zandalari option instead.

Assuming they do indeed plan to cut warlocks (which, of course, may not be the case), I'm surprised that they went for that instead of monks. They would've been a much more obvious choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    They said they are considering to add Mages to the Kul Tiran humans.

So I'd say any class mentioned in the Allied Race page is just not final. Or basically, they just don't know what they are doing or are having serious communication problems internally.

If they announced it on the What's Next panel, they are likely going to be Warlocks. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Yes, kul Tirans definitely deserve to get the Mage class and many people want it to be so! I definitely hope everything's still being open to consideration from Blizzard's part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    I know you've mentioned that you'd like to keep the the conversation focused on Zandalari warlocks and nothing else but, realistically, the comparison between what Zandalari get and what other races (or specifically what allied races get) is a conversation that's relevant to Blizzard. If they've considered removing or decided to remove warlocks as a class option, that's the most likely culprit. It's impossible to discuss without talking about that at least a little bit.

Dark Irons are the class number equivalent to Zandalari, so the obvious solution would be to give a 10th class to Dark Irons to offset it, but that's complicated by the fact that their 10th non-hero class would be druid (which isn't going to happen). Neither hero class is a good option either, so they might've felt compelled to roll back one Zandalari option instead.

Assuming they do indeed plan to cut warlocks (which, of course, may not be the case), I'm surprised that they went for that instead of monks. They would've been a much more obvious choice.
    I definitely see where you're coming from and understand though I find it just really annoying that they seem to go in that direction instead of making Allied races mirror the one they are released with. I would find it more compelling if they added three classes to Kul Tirans to make up for it, and it'd make way more sense.

Let Kul tirans also be Mages, Warlocks and Paladins, which are classes I've seen requested and that'll give both of these Allied Races 10 classes. I honestly do not understand all the gatekeeping at this point.

Really really thanks for this topic. I want to play my warlock as zandalari to

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it, unless they end up caving on the Kul Tiran mages. That would be atrocious though, given how Kul Tirans not promoting magic makes sense. Jaina only learned it by abandonding ship and relocating to the Eastern Kingdoms to study under the Kirin Tor.

No complaints on giving Zandalari locks, and maybe the removal of it from the list was a mistake. Really don't want them if it means their counterpart gets mages however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanarika View Post
    Let Kul tirans also be Mages, Warlocks and Paladins, which are classes I've seen requested and that'll give both of these Allied Races 10 classes. I honestly do not understand all the gatekeeping at this point.
    Paladins perhaps, but them using magic doesn't really make sense. They are seafarers, who have faith in the seas and winds. They have seapriests and shamans focused on water, and beyond that are pretty much a physical society.
    Last edited by saintminya; 2018-11-05 at 09:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakrib View Post
    Really really thanks for this topic. I want to play my warlock as zandalari to
    No problem at all! We must use the tools at our disposal to make our voices heard!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's weird they have monks and not warlocks.

Aww, there should be a demonic loa trapped in some sort of large shrine that the warlocks worship and draw strength from. Try as they might, they can't free it, but it enjoys their worship.

Preferably a dreadlord, but an imp would be hilarious. "What? My loa isn't a dreadlord, dats rediculous" but it's clearly a dreadlord.

Hey Zan. Thanks for the topic, I actually learned a bit!

I agree that removing Warlock from Zandalari Trolls was a bit lame

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post
    Paladins perhaps, but them using magic doesn't really make sense. They are seafarers, who have faith in the seas and winds. They have seapriests and shamans focused on water, and beyond that are pretty much a physical society.
    I actually didn't know Kul Tirans would rather not be Mages and such because truth be told I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to them since I still haven't leveled an Alliance character yet in Kul Tiras, but since I saw so many people asking for Mages I wasn't aware of such, thank you for letting me know!

I seriously got interested in BfA in the first place because I thought I will be able to roll a Zandalari Warlock. I badly need it to be a thing. I don't care if they give Kul Tirans mage to compensate, that would even be better as I see people demanding those. But I really need the Warlock for my Zandalari. I mean, up till now, Horde only have ONE allied race that can become a Warlock, that is Nightborne, while Alliance have VE and DID. It's only fair to give Zandalari to the Warlock for us.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's announced on the panel, 99% chance it won't be pulled. I even looked up Zandalari classes the week before Blizzcon, and they had everything we saw on the panel (including warlocks) besides the newly announced paladin option.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    It's weird they have monks and not warlocks.

Aww, there should be a demonic loa trapped in some sort of large shrine that the warlocks worship and draw strength from. Try as they might, they can't free it, but it enjoys their worship.

Preferably a dreadlord, but an imp would be hilarious. "What? My loa isn't a dreadlord, dats rediculous" but it's clearly a dreadlord.
    Hahaha a Dreadlord of course! Ok now that would actually be pretty fun of a concept. There's probably some Demons still lurking about like that Shivarra in a cave really close to Dazar'alor, we can always wonder how she got there

Zandalari? Every class except hero classes? Why not.
    But it might kill off other races in horde

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Hey Zan. Thanks for the topic, I actually learned a bit!

I agree that removing Warlock from Zandalari Trolls was a bit lame
    Hey there! No problem! Always happy to share!

It's quite sad truly, but there's still hope, after all, nothing has been clarified yet.

I wouldnt play kul tiran mages or zandalari warlocks because i have other alts, but you have my support to get those two combos! I hope blizzard listens to player feedback and change their minds again. Good luck!
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2018-11-05 at 10:35 PM.