Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If we can put brains into machines, we can certainly make us robot bodies.
    Well the OP seems specific to me on not having a body but just your brain in a bowl, alive but not really. Just tortured with existence at that point. Even with a robot body, you couldn't feel with it.

A much more realistic method would to be brain transfer into other human bodies that we grow or make synthetically, which we already do with some organs.

I'm not informed enough on how long the brain lasts compared to our aging bodies so maybe its not possible as opposed to some anti-age liquid in a tin can for your brain.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2018-11-08 at 10:51 AM.

Deleted
    As long as I'm not restricted to a life of servitude, I have autonomy over my mechanical body and so on, I'd give it a go.

Only if i get to be robot nixon !

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Deleted
    I guess you could say we're already brains in a machine.

The brain itself is an organ. What makes you think the brain will last that long? Plus will the brain explode from having so much information stored over centuries?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I access the internet and give direct inputs via neurons? Can I use some sort of body remotely, with audio and visual inputs? If yes to either of those, then hell yea.

Absolutely. Wait... can the machine fuck?

Could we live in a WoW universe?

Or would it be like inside a closet with the lights off? No sounds, no lights, no sense of touch, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

1st) You are already a brain in a machine

2nd) Even if you were a brain fixed to an immovable object, of course i'd choose that life over death for the simple reason that a) - that condition would not be permanent, and eventually science would be able to grant us robotic bodies or live purely in cyberspace and b) - with no body to speak of, virtual reality is going to be significantly easier to implement (direct stimulation of brain), so if you can live in a virtual world 100% of the time, actual physical body becomes kind of pointless.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

no way, if it is like starwars and the monastery, where they store brains in bowls and have androids transport them around.

10+ Year Old Account
    No i would miss the ability to facepalm when watching world news.

definitely. someone make something happen before i get old and die. thx

I think I would do it just so I could watch human progress. I would spend my time trying to learn new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Yes, ghost in the shell, here we go!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Yeah if we're talking The Major from Ghost in a shell style, give me Motoko Kusanagi all day everyday. If I'm just a brain in a motionless box... no thank you.

*RIP Origa*

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I could do the best Krang cosplay ever. It would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Absolutely. Wait... can the machine fuck?
    Asking the real questions here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    1st) You are already a brain in a machine
    This. Evolution doesn't favor direct realism, which means there's no issue with being a brain in a machine. Except for the fact that you would need an additional system to physically maintain and protect the machine.

If it was this, you bet your arse I would.

"Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Only if it takes into account a number of things you need to stay sane, specifically outside stimulus simulating a real body and environment, and feedback to said body reacting properly as if it were attached to your brain.

EDIT: Oh, and an internet connection, obviously. Control over your artificial body and environment would be great too.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2018-11-08 at 06:39 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ghost in the shell type of deal probably yes but I would miss my old fleshy body dearly.
    But a brain stuck in purgatory would feel like hell