Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Even if gun legislation were passed tomorrow it would take a long ass time (probably not in our life time) to confiscate the hundreds of millions of guns in the U.S.
    So what's the problem? Don't people want secure future for next generations?

Quote Originally Posted by sofnr View Post
    Tragic for the victims, I'm just happy this kind of stuff doesn't happen in the UK. Perhaps additional (armed) security is required at clubs (or any place with more than x people) in America?

I'm also interested why these cases only happen in America, do you have different type of nut-cases over there? Is it because of openly accessible guns that nut-cases may feel more inclined to do something like this? Brainwashing?
    These things happen plenty in places like the ME, Brazil or Mexico.

It's not strictly in the USA, only difference being the USA being from the 'west' which where big media focuses on. All other shootings outside? Not so much as a peep beyond sites like LiveLeaks and what have you.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. Anyone that premeditates murder is fucked in the head.
    Errr no. It's called acting on impulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    It's basically the accessible guns
    If that were true we'd have a similar issue in Europe, where while gun ownership is not a constitutional right but a privilege, people can still get guns, and many people actually have them (despite the general perception which tends to be "only Americans have guns"), so there are a lot of guns lying around for the criminally insane to pick from - and then of course there's the black market, which is full of weapons from ex-Soviet countries, and someone willing to shoot up a school or a bar would likely have no issues illegally purchasing a firearm. At the end of the day this proves how unwilling Americans are to take into consideration cultural reasons, where it's way easier to whine about evil guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    So what's the problem? Don't people want secure future for next generations?
    People just seem to think that gun legislation will magically make shootings go away overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    Mental health issues exist in all countries. Mass shootings don't. Also, most mass shooters and terrorists don't have mental illnesses.
    Wrong, they do. Normal people do not take guns or sharp weapons and take innocent lives for no reason. The majority of the cases are either mental health issue or extremely poor upbringing.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Bah Dah Bum Dah Bum Bum, that's America!

You become decensortised to it since nothing changes despite it keeps happening
    Pretty much a case of nothing to see here move along, just another day in the USA..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This keeps happening but such is the price for freedom.. I guess? *shakes his head in european* They will never learn.
    Allow American refugees so those of us who aren't fucking nuts can leave this insane place.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

7+ Year Old Account
    so what? gonna happen again.

Guy threw smoke bombs and stuff.

"If only someone had a gun..."

...I think you’ll find that most, if not all, of these situations happened because someone had a gun...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    These things happen plenty in places like the ME, Brazil or Mexico.

It's not strictly in the USA, only difference being the USA being from the 'west' which where big media focuses on. All other shootings outside? Not so much as a peep beyond sites like LiveLeaks and what have you.

- - - Updated - - -

Errr no. It's called acting on impulse.

Sure, but I think those countries are more affected by crime, poverty and not so much nut-cases that decide to go on a rampage for no reason. You're right that the media does exclusively paint their eyes mostly on America (and Western countries). We could have a bomb going off killing innocent civilians somewhere in middle-east and no one bats an eye, but the same thing would make international headlines in any western country. Double standards I guess.

Deleted
    People just seem to think that gun legislation will magically make shootings go away overnight.
    Of course it won't, but eventually it will. Just look at Australia as example.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatagarasu View Post
    Wrong, they do. Normal people do not take guns or sharp weapons and take innocent lives for no reason. The majority of the cases are either mental health issue or extremely poor upbringing.
    That's simply not true. In fact, it's a common fallacy. The media generally brands shooters as "mentally ill" for no other reason than that the shooting took place. Have you never noticed that people without mental illness get into fights or even commit terrorist attacks?

Thoughts and prayers. see ya in the next shooting.

Wrong. Anyone that premeditates murder is fucked in the head.
    Simply not true. Making an irrational decision is not the same as a mental illness. It's dangerous to assume that a shooter automatically has mental illness, and disrespectful to those who are actually mentally ill, most of whom do not commit violent crimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You inherently need a mental illness to be able to randomly kill someone.
    Not true. Making an immoral or irrational choice is not the same as having an mental illness. Most people who commit these crimes are not mentally ill, and most people with mental illness do not commit violent crimes. It's a myth propagated by popular narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    That's simply not true. In fact, it's a common fallacy. The media generally brands shooters as "mentally ill" for no other reason than that the shooting took place. Have you never noticed that people without mental illness get into fights or even commit terrorist attacks?
    People that are mentally stable don’t shoot each other in a fight. Once you pull a gun on someone with intent to kill you’re no longer mentally stable. I’ve gotten in fights before while I had a knife on me and never once thought about stabbing my opponent.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You inherently need a mental illness to be able to randomly kill someone.
    So everyone in the military are mentally ill?

It worked in Australia. There is a way to solve this. It's just a matter of what steps people are willing to take.

I was curious how many replies it would take before someone brought the political parties into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.