Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I've been thinking about mage food. Answer me some stuff!

Hello, folks! Good to see you.

I've been thinking about this lately: Mages can summon food for other people to help them restore health. Pretty cool, and pretty convenient. But how does it taste? How does it look? Is there any place in the wiki, books, lore, HQ's or even in-game that reckon these habilities? If a mage gets imprisoned, can he summon food and water to survive?

I wonder if the food that they make taste the same (or even better!) than a well prepared food from a cook. Hmm. Curious.

Oh, that also raises a question: Is it too complex for mages to summon...complex food? Like, what's the difference between summoning bread and summoning a really well cooked pork chop?

Again, I'm probably overthinking, but it's fun to think about these kinds of things once in a while.

See you soon!

Is it not like you summon it from somewhere ? So that food already has to exist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post

I've been thinking about this lately: Mages can summon food for other people to help them restore health. Pretty cool, and pretty convenient. But how does it taste? How does it look? Is there any place in the wiki, books, lore, HQ's or even in-game that reckon these habilities? If a mage gets imprisoned, can he summon food and water to survive?

I wonder if the food that they make taste the same (or even better!) than a well prepared food from a cook. Hmm. Curious.

Oh, that also raises a question: Is it too complex for mages to summon...complex food? Like, what's the difference between summoning bread and summoning a really well cooked pork chop?

Again, I'm probably overthinking, but it's fun to think about these kinds of things once in a while.

See you soon!
    The only instance in lore I can find is Thrall drinking conjured beer in Twilight of the Aspects.
    Otherwise I'd imagine it's non-canon gameplay and not actually something all mags do.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

See you soon!
    In my head, I always imaged mage food to taste differently depending on the mage's skill. So a newbie mage conjures food that is bland and doesn't taste anything. On the other hand , an archmage like Khadgar can conjure any kind of food he wants and it tastes the same as the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Because not a single war that has ever happened on Azeroth was about food.
    Isn't /wasn't a big motivator for horde expansion in Kalimdor because durotar/barrens can't sustain the orc/troll population? I always assumed that they needed territory that was more fertile than their home regions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Name me one war and I'll tell you why it's about food
    What... I am sure that Horde came to Azeroth for food... Same goes for Legion, Deathwing, and even now we are in war because everyone is starving...

@ topic
    Food is food.

Every war is ultimately about food smart guy
    Every war is about power..........sometimes food is used as an excuse for the power and then used to control the peasants, ie Communism.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Conjuring food actually takes a lot out of a mage, they lose more than they gain and it can fail but for game-play reason, they don't fail and you can replenish your mana with 1/20 food you make. Same way with resurrection, it takes a huge amount of control over the forces to resurrect a person in the lore and it can fail but for game-play reason it takes roughly 10 seconds.

It might be "food" but I bet it tastes awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Debased View Post
    It might be "food" but I bet it tastes awful.
    I was thinking the same, like tofu which has no taste. Somebody once gave me "teriyaki tofu." I tried it and thought "get the fuck out of here." It just tasted like teriyaki, the damn thing itself has no taste, it's like a marshmallow without sugar if that even makes sense. Might as well cover cardboard in teriyaki sauce and eat it.

Mage food must be similarly awful to tofu. You eat it in dire situations when you're starving, but no one in their right mind would want to eat it if they have real homemade food.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I was thinking the same, like tofu which has no taste. Somebody once gave me "teriyaki tofu." I tried it and thought "get the fuck out of here." It just tasted like teriyaki, the damn thing itself has no taste, it's like a marshmallow without sugar if that even makes sense. Might as well cover cardboard in teriyaki sauce and eat it.
    Tofu is easy to screw up. Eat some in actual Asia, and you'll see that it's a VERY different experience. Authentic Chinese or Japanese dishes with Tofu are absolutely delicious - but the Western versions tend to be quite terrible. In fact, I ordered some Ma Po Tofu the other day because it's one of my favorites and nearly threw it away after two bites. It didn't even resemble what it is supposed to taste like, and I 100% understand that people would be turned off tofu for life if that was their only experience.

Anyway, I think that mage food is just one of those suspension of disbelief kind of things that you have to compromise around in fantasy settings. Kind of like "if players can resurrect from any kind of death, why do NPCs ever die?", which is another of those mechanical things that are simply a necessity for functional gameplay.

You can, of course, save yourself by contriving some bizarre rule set, or making up some kind of explanation. For magic in particular, this is usually what I call the "Harry Potter solution", where the fact that the wizarding world could simply go and solve disease or hunger with a snap but doesn't is simply brushed off with "then they'd want us to fix ALL their problems" and no further thought. Pretty much the same reason why Dalaran isn't in the food business, and why there's still farmers all around.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naustis View Post
    What... I am sure that Horde came to Azeroth for food... Same goes for Legion, Deathwing, and even now we are in war because everyone is starving...

@ topic
    Food is food.
    Horde came to Azeroth because the Legion wanted them to. Almost every problem that developed on Dreanor was created by the Guldan and/or Legion forces to drive the orcs into a corner and make them accept a permanent warchief.

See you soon!
    This has been on my mind since wow was released. I mean, what does sweet nectar really taste like?

BUT EVEN MORE INTERESTING: What doe we actually do with a healthstone? Do we eat it? breathe it in? touch it and absorb it throu our skin? Just draw magic from it like a blood elf or something?

Also, if i polymorph someone. Then cook and eat him/her. Does it count as cannibalism.

But how does it taste? How does it look? Is there any place in the wiki, books, lore, HQ's or even in-game that reckon these habilities? If a mage gets imprisoned, can he summon food and water to survive?

Okay so I know this isn't WoW-lore, but in D&D, there's the ever-so-simple cantrip spell called "Prestidigitation", which does a multitude of "simple magic tricks". It's essentially what an Arcane magic-user (such as a Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock) would practice with before trying to cast actual spells. The book specifically says it can do pretty much any harmless sensory effect, but also mentions changing the taste of food (to good or bad). The exact wording says you can "warm, chill, or flavor up non-living matter", in which case, you can make it taste like basically anything. Your party eats dry rations while you get a 5-star meal!

All that said, I would imagine WoW Mages could do something similar (if we ever got fun/flavorful spells like D&D cantrips), since both D&D and WoW casters are probably equal-ish on power. Level 20 D&D players are essentially demigods while at Level 110 in WoW, we were pretty much that already.

Is mages summoning food even canon? Why is the world at war when one guy can just conjure all the food Azeroth would ever need
    If food was the only reason people went to war, I'd love to know why the real world is constantly in conflict and on the verge of war all the time.
    Legit question that I'm too lazy to look up at 2:45AM: Has a single real life war ever been due to a lack of food? That's usually more of a internal revolt/coup within a country, not a war.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

See you soon!
    It looks exactly like it does in the official Blizzard Cookbook.
    It taste different from the regular cooked version because the arcane magic laves a distinct icy metallic tingle overtone. Some people like this, but most prefer the regular cooked version. While it does have restorative properties, it isn't 'real' food but a sort of unstable materialized spell contraption.
    Imprisoned mages are permanently silenced. Otherwise they would just portal out.
    Mages can't just willy-nilly conger food. This isn't Harry Potter fcs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cradyz View Post
    Isn't /wasn't a big motivator for horde expansion in Kalimdor because durotar/barrens can't sustain the orc/troll population? I always assumed that they needed territory that was more fertile than their home regions.
    Because Vanilla Horde wasn't very big on mages. You got Undead, who weren't in Kalimdor and trolls, who aren't really that common to be mages.

Deleted
    Mages steal it from Nomi.

Just think of it: Nomi tries to cook in Dalaran, where there are bunch of mages. Most of the time it ends up with charred stuff. So what happened to actual food? Mages stole it.

Every time mage conjures food, another player gets charred remains from Nomi.

Nightborne could make magical wine. It wasn't good for them.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I think that all the food conjured by a Mage only provides energy to keep your body functioning but it doesn't have any nutritional benefits. Like you could survive eating it for a while but later if you doesn't get any real food you'll die by malnutrition.

I agree with Bennett about war and food it is interesting version...
    Last edited by Goodl30; 2019-09-03 at 12:57 PM.