Thread: Troll Hybrids

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Troll Hybrids

Do the different troll races actually ever interbreed? I've seen a few characters on RP Servers who are half-jungle troll and half-forest troll, but canonically, is this something that actually happens? Would they be reviled or treated equal to 'pure' troll races?

@Ramz

Trolls tribes are just like human etnias, just social constructs, now there was some half trolls characters on the rpg books, one was a half troll and half nelf
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Do the different troll races actually ever interbreed? I've seen a few characters on RP Servers who are half-jungle troll and half-forest troll, but canonically, is this something that actually happens? Would they be reviled or treated equal to 'pure' troll races?

Most troll tribes hate each other. But interbreeding should be possible, considering they are the same species.
    Regarding their social status, my guess is that it depends on the tribe in question.

Darkspear seem more accepting due to their contact with the Horde.
    Zandalari might accept a half-breed who demonstrates great strength or power, judging by their caste system

Hell, after the whole Med'an situation (Draenei x Breaker descendant x Titanic descendant), im sure a gnome could bang a tauren and get children
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2018-11-09 at 03:07 AM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Trolls tribes are just like human etnias, just social constructs, now there was some half trolls characters on the rpg books, one was a half troll and half nelf
    Well the troll tribes within the subraces are social constructs (i.e. Darkspear, Shatterspear, Gurubashi) but there are distinct troll divisions, we don't know whether these can be considered separate species, subspecies or 'races' but they're definitely there.

Well the troll tribes within the subraces are social constructs (i.e. Darkspear, Shatterspear, Gurubashi) but there are distinct troll divisions, we don't know whether these can be considered separate species, subspecies or 'races' but they're definitely there.
    I think at best they could be subspecies but still I don't see even the drakkari too much different than a amani or any jungle troll tribe, heck even the dark troll in the ambassary of Zandalari looks pretty much like any female troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I think at best they could be subspecies but still I don't see even the drakkari too much different than a amani or any jungle troll tribe, heck even the dark troll in the ambassary of Zandalari looks pretty much like any female troll
    Well they're definitely more distinct in-canon than in-game. All trolls except for Farraki are large, but Drakkari are practically mammoth giants standing up to 12'-13' tall. Sand trolls are only 6'-7' with most other trolls stand between those two (jungle trolls are around 8', Zandalari 10' and forest trolls larger than both).

Basically trolls are like dog breeds in appearance.

Deleted
    I mean it should be definitely possible. There is no reason different trolls cannot have children between each other since they are exactly the same species with differences that came due to their surrounding environments. There aren't any actual instances in Canon that I recall in which such has happened but it is definitely possible. The same would apply to Elves for example, a Nightborne and a Blood Elf should be able to have children of their own.

What separates trolls right now is more of a cultural and social barrier than biological. The Troll Tribes been in conflict for so long they mostly keep to their own tribe, but there are exceptions of course. The Revantusk for example, are Forest Trolls and they are allies to the Horde. I can see Revantusk and Darkspears mingling, and in the future perhaps Darkspears and Zandalari.

When it comes to RP it seems like a perfectly fine thing. Parents from different Tribes are not something so odd when you live in a universe where species from different planets can have children together.

Well in one of the books a Zandalari female wanted Vol'jin's mojo so I think trolls can interbreed like normal. Elves are just evolved trolls so that could be possible I suppose. If an orc can breed with Draenei who are not even from the same planet. I think its safe to say that every humanoid species in Warcraft can make babies together. Elune had sex with a stag that created Cenarius. Then one of Cenarius kids banged an earth elemental to make Centaur....

Zandalari are exceptionally proud of their bodies, seeing them as a sign of superiority to other tribes. While I think it’s possible for trolls to produce hybrids, I really doubt they’re accepted into an overall society.

It is possible for trolls to mix but it's not something they want or accept. They like to stick to their own. Trolls are incredibly conservative in their views regardless of a tribe - even Darkspears while adaptive didn't forget who they are and are still cultivating majority of troll customs.

But it looks like Zandalari women have a thing for Darkspear guys xD
    First Khal'ak had hots for Vol'Jin and now Talanji seems to fancy our champ Rokhan.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    It is possible for trolls to mix but it's not something they want or accept. They like to stick to their own. Trolls are incredibly conservative in their views regardless of a tribe - even Darkspears while adaptive didn't forget who they are and are still cultivating majority of troll customs.

But it looks like Zandalari women have a thing for Darkspear guys xD
    First Khal'ak had hots for Vol'Jin and now Talanji seems to fancy our champ Rokhan.
    Now that you mention it, Talanji does seem to keep close to Rokhan. I wonder if Zandalar might be getting a new king in addition to a queen

It's also kind of ironic how originally one of the weakest and most reviled jungle troll tribes (by other tribes) ended up becoming one of the most high esteemed of any troll tribe by the Zandalari.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Well in one of the books a Zandalari female wanted Vol'jin's mojo so I think trolls can interbreed like normal. Elves are just evolved trolls so that could be possible I suppose. If an orc can breed with Draenei who are not even from the same planet. I think its safe to say that every humanoid species in Warcraft can make babies together. Elune had sex with a stag that created Cenarius. Then one of Cenarius kids banged an earth elemental to make Centaur....
    Cenarius apparently also fathered magnataur...with what I have no fucking clue.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Now that you mention it, Talanji does seem to keep close to Rokhan. I wonder if Zandalar might be getting a new king in addition to a queen

It's also kind of ironic how originally one of the weakest and most reviled jungle troll tribes (by other tribes) ended up becoming one of the most high esteemed of any troll tribe by the Zandalari.

- - - Updated - - -

If that happens, Rokhan would be Queen's Consort, not King.

Anyway, the trolls are the same race so a Jungle and Forest Troll having a child isn't a "hybrid" anymore than a Asian having a child with a African in the real world.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Most troll tribes hate each other. But interbreeding should be possible, considering they are the same species.
    Regarding their social status, my guess is that it depends on the tribe in question.

Darkspear seem more accepting due to their contact with the Horde.
    Zandalari might accept a half-breed who demonstrates great strength or power, judging by their caste system

Hell, after the whole Med'an situation (Draenei x Breaker descendant x Titanic descendant), im sure a gnome could bang a tauren and get children
    My prevailing theory is that, as Titanic creations, they are openly compatible with other races. All the mixes we've seen have had one partner with titanic ancestry. We haven't seen any mixes of races without at least one partner with a link to the titans in some way.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Rokhan would be prince-consort or something, like Prince Phillip is irl.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they're definitely more distinct in-canon than in-game. All trolls except for Farraki are large, but Drakkari are practically mammoth giants standing up to 12'-13' tall. Sand trolls are only 6'-7' with most other trolls stand between those two (jungle trolls are around 8', Zandalari 10' and forest trolls larger than both).

Basically trolls are like dog breeds in appearance.
    Zandalari are the largest trolls, with Drakkari being second.

I am half troll apparently, on these forums...

/snip -- lol, nm ... noticed a tauren in the back.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-11-09 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    If that happens, Rokhan would be Queen's Consort, not King.
    Oh, my bad, not really an expert on monarchies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Zandalari are the largest trolls, with Drakkari being second.
    From Wowpedia:

Dark Troll -> 11'9" (F), 13' (M)

Ice Troll -> 9' (F), 10'3" (M)

Zandalari -> 9'4" (F), 10' (M)

Ice trolls stand shorter hunched, but from head to toe they're much taller than Zandalari.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, my bad, not really an expert on monarchies.

- - - Updated - - -

From Wowpedia:

Dark Troll -> 11'9" (F), 13' (M)

Ice Troll -> 9' (F), 10'3" (M)

Zandalari -> 9'4" (F), 10' (M)

Ice trolls stand shorter hunched, but from head to toe they're much taller than Zandalari.
    Those are averages and not official measurements from lore.

And since they are hunched (and can't really stand straight in a normal way), it shouldn't really count. :P

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Those are averages and not official measurements from lore.

And since they are hunched (and can't really stand straight in a normal way), it shouldn't really count. :P
    Trolls can stand straight, they just don't for the same reason orcs were originally hunched (probably gameplay reasons, which translated to NPC models).

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Yeah if someone thinks "gnome on troll action" is cool you will get offspring of those, don't bring reason/science to a game lore that doesn't take those things serious. This goes for a lot of fantasy settings, because most authors won't bother with millions of years of "backstory" for their races and the opportunity to have actual dinosaurs amongst humanoids is just too awesome....
    In WoW so far: Creatures of similar shape can interbreed, magic can make all sorts of hybrids.