Poll: What expansion/era was the absolutely worst time in your opinion for WoW?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    MOP for me but that's most likely due to the fact that i didnt like how my- at the time mine has changed (shadow priest-it's been downhill from there imo), i didnt like whole expansion theme, and i generally felt rather burnt out after playing semi hardcore for few years. Also i stoped playing after like 2-3 months into mop so my point of view is very subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Cata. Not only did it shatter the world, it also shattered the foundations of many, many things within the game. Lots of mechanics and changes that never should have happened, period.
    Like what? And the Shattering was great, even though it crushed some nostalgic zones. Good on them for doing that.

The raids were awesome as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am still saying Cata. followed by WoD. Only because Cataclysm angers me more than WoD. WoD was just a massive disappointment lol. Cataclysm triggers me into rant mode.
    Why? What exactly triggers you about Cata?

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD of course, they just waste setting with so much potential,hype and nostalgia. Oh also Draenor is so great looking it's a shame that we dont get any additional content there (aside from mag har scenario ofc).

Controversially it would be WotLK for me.

Coming off a high in TBC where I had a blast raiding and getting to clear Sunwell before WotLK, I was so hyped but while the leveling was fun, max level was not very enjoyable. The raids were way too easy and it felt like a slap in the face as a raider in a guild to see people pug raids in a way that wasn't really that common before. Dungeons were very easy too and the introduction of the vehicle combat wasn't something I enjoyed, so Oculus or Wintergrasp for example just gave me nightmares. It wasn't ALL bad. Ulduar was every bit as amazing as everyone thinks, but then trial of the crusader was maybe the worst raid in the game (at that point at least) and personally I wasn't a big fan of ICC. It had some good boss fights but personally I felt a lot of echoes from Black Temple and I just enjoyed that raid more, and I don't think the Arthas story was that interesting.

WoD would be the runner up but for me I had fun in both Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry and I enjoyed the dungeons more than the WotLK ones. People praise the story and the zones of WotLK but for me that's such a small part of an expansion. Yeah it's neat when you level through the first time, but you do spend 95% of your time in an expansion at max level so what becomes the most important (for me at least) is the content you'll be doing daily or weekly, and in that regard I thought, with the exception of Ulduar that WotLK lacked raid-wise, and dungeon-wise it had a lot of fine/alright dungeons, but not really any dungeon i LOVED.
    Last edited by Zantera; 2018-11-09 at 01:38 PM.

It really was a tough call between Cataclysm and WoD, but after what was done with Admiral Taylor, WoD wins no contest.

BFA for sure for me. I've never cancelled my sub within the first month of an expansion launching before. BFA was the first time I have done that.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

7+ Year Old Account
    WoD

It just felt like recycled lacklustre.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    its a tie between WoD and BFA
    Same here /tenchar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    PVP Was all FOTM eh?

RMP WLD LumberJack RLS MLS MLD PHD TSG TreeSG ATC RetCleave KittyCleave BeastCleave Shatterplay Shadowplay Shadowcleave ManCleave RLD WMD WMP RRP RPS LSD HLD WMP WLP Boring Cleave KanyeCleave(both triple dps and resto sham varients) Thugcleave FireDemoHpal Ebola Triple DPS(ProtPal/Firemage/Demo lock and Ret/Warrior/Enhance) Orange Cleave(and all of its variations) etc. etc. etc.

The end of WOTLK had more viable and powerful builds than has been seen since. That's why S3 TBC and late wotlk are the two most popular private servers for pure arena pvp. Wotlk had a lot of flaws. Its PVP was definitely not one of them.
    How many of those were viable all at once? A lot of them would be viable and then fall out of flavor. Certain specs at certain times throughout the expansion were overpower to the point where they carried the team, and other specs were so dead they were a liability. It still happens today in the top brackets (by design), but you can find mild success with any spec in today's PVP environment. In WOTLK you wouldn't bring a Holy Priest in PVP because they were shredded in an instant. Now, Holy Priest can at least stay alive and actually have a presence in the match.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    WoD was the worst. it was by far the biggest fuck up in lore. Murdered ANY thing resemble a "normal" time assumtions, felt pulled out of their ass.
    And worst of all it was just a follow up from MoP last raid" orcs are bad" Now take a full expation of orcs are bad.
    It had a few good things...

… That the Mag'har unlock quest thoroughly destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post

Why? What exactly triggers you about Cata?
    I am sure I can find an old rant thread around here.... Because I am not writing it all again. Hold on :P

Here we go a post I wrote from nearly 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I dont care what anyone says, the worst for me is Cataclysm every time. At least Warlords of Draenor brought me back to World of Warcraft it has that going for it at least. Now I totally understand why people would rather go with WoD over cata but for me personally Cata was the worst expansion.

Cataclysm was actually the expansion that caused me to quit WoW (sometimes around the Firelands raid). The only expansion to do this Otherwise I have been an avid player of WoW since classic. Because I quit WoW I missed most of MoP which I hear was very under rated as an expansion and I regret missing out on so much of it.

I found the whole subject and story lines to Cata so boring. The revamped zones (for most part) were joke zones and giant Easter eggs. At least in Vanilla the Easter eggs were subtle like Linkin in Un'Goro. In cata they made the whole zones parodies.

Redridge was like some Rambo parody, and felt super out of place in WoW. And don't get me started on Uldum, where this was just a huge joke zone on Indiana Jones. Uldam had so much potential, we could have got some rich history, learned about the Tol'vir, but nope Indiana Jones suckers. So dumb.

Let's not forget he huge cop out ending where the Dragon aspects just say "our work is done here" and give up their powers. Which proved afterwards was totally dumb.

The Dragon Soul raid while fun dragged on for so long. the other raids were very meh. Then we got revamped Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman over a real good underwater raid we were supposed to get.

You know the only thing I liked about Cataclysm was the one thing everyone hated, and that was the zone Vashj'ir lol.

I can totally accept all the issues with WoD but to me at least that expansion started off well, it's middle and ending just ended in a big pile of crap, with Cata I feel we had to wade through so much of it to find some good.

I can make a huge analysis of why Cata is bad, what I said was a mere fraction of why I thought it was so bad, but I really don't have the time lol

For me its TBC/WotLK > Legion (so far) > Classic > MoP > WoD > Cata
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-11-09 at 02:39 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

WoD, with multiple reasons:
    - A lot of bugs, which are even now still in-game. A couple of weeks ago the servers did an awesome job to put a 1000 people together in Lunarfall. One of the bugs which happened during launch. You would have somewhat thought that 2 expansions later this whole bug would have been fixed.
    - Content, ones you had done everything, you were just only running missions and some dailies. The first Raid was a joke (same goes for Legion, ow EN was horrible) and totally out of context with the story. Only first boss did some Lore, but even the secret Cho'Gall had no real story arc. Or at least I missed it.
    - Lore, it was going about the Warlords of Draenor. They did an awesome job with the introduction during the initial scenario. But then it just watered down. Durotan had an ok story, Grommash just was horrible his character development was completely upside down, Killrog had some purpose in the raid, Blackhand was bad ass as a raid boss, Kargath was a joke again as being the entry boss, Ner'zhul the first Lich King - was a simple boss in SBG, Gul'dan which they used as an excuse to get a better story line for Legion. Which could have been an all out war, became something dull.
    - Flying, it's still a grind where people tend to just leave it there. I finally got it, the rep with Order of the Awakened was a real pain, without flying...
    - Old content, somethings are still unplayable. As a mage it is undoable to solo Hellfire Citadel because of the first boss. Also the bugs with flymasters, getting stuck in environment means the old content is not worth it to repeat.

As a close second I would recon Cataclysm, again the story here was lame, DS was horrible (and buggy). MoP for disliking the style more comes on third place.

WoD ofc. Cata was only slightly better.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Still playing BFA intermittently, but mainly for the raiding aspect with my guild.

No desire to level alts, since everything is just a repeat of content i'm exhausted with -- the dailies are reworked leveling quests, and you only have 3 zones of content per faction.

PvP is broken. Mythic+ dungeons have segregated the community into small pockets, heroics are irrelevant and abandoned content. Class design is broken, and worst incredibly boring (even for the viable classes). GCD sucks. Story is MoP 2.0, but worse. Azerite gear + heart of azeroth the worst mechanics in wow history?
    Pretty good points. Agree with most, if not all.

I'm saying MOP. Why? Because its when WoW really started getting watered down and mutated into something else. Yes Cataclysm was bad by the end of it, but it started off fairly strong, overall not good though. This is coming from someone who thinks TBC was the pinnacle of WoW (and possibly along with early wotlk), so YMMY. Anything from MOP onward is garbage, so its all in the same category.

Before it was WoD, now its BfA no doubt about it. Why? Because at least WoD had some classes that still were fun, in BfA every class that I liked sucks and/or are boring to play. Only reason I log in is for the social aspect.

5+ Year Old Account
    As many people have already pointed, Cata had a lot of flaws. Yet I remained subbed until Diarrhea Soul. BfA has made me cancel my subscription less than three months in... If things don't change drastically, it will be even worse than Cata for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Cata easily. Only expansion other than BFA I completely unsubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    As many people have already pointed, Cata had a lot of flaws. Yet I remained subbed until Diarrhea Soul. BfA has made me cancel my subscription less than three months in... If things don't change drastically, it will be even worse than Cata for me.
    Sad to say, but, I think I would rather have Cataclysm back over the vomit we've had for the last several years. Yeah, thats pretty bad.

TBC, butchered the lore, tons of big names killed for stupid reasons, gave us flying, removed 40 man raiding and gave us 10man raids, arena which ruined pvp was introduced, uniqueness of being alliance and horde was gone with draenei shaman and blood elves paladins, overall the worst expansion.