Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Florida rednecks don't vote unless they are fired up...Trump has them fired up.
    I think it's more than just the rednecks, I also think its' still the residual Southern racism that extended into the cities and suburbs across the entire region. My mother-in-law is racist, although she would swear otherwise until the day she died. Florida is filled with the polite racists, the ones who smile to your face, and simply look down upon someone when their back is turned.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Apply it correctly and apply it everywhere, it has the potential to bring down the two party system and allow for more parties and more choices. It's a great system. And when Golden or Poliquin win, they'll be the first ranked choice votes in America.

While technically, it was also used for our Senate race, District 1 Rep (not my district) and Governor, in those cases, the candidate won with more than 50% in the first round, so ranked choice didn't come into play.
    How does ranked choice come into play there? Is it only if one candidate doesn't received 50% of the vote initially?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Druuge View Post
    OH WOW

THE DEMOCRATS COULD BE ON THE VERGE OF TAKING ARIZONA SENATE SEAT!!

THough i railed against the spoiler from the green party it looks like the Democrat Sinema could take the seat

https://www.azcentral.com/data/elect...ectionsresults

She is now leading by nearly 10k votes with about less than 0.44 percent left to count !

Yes this will go to recount but wow this is truly the upset of the night if a Democrat can take a republican senate seat after nearly 30 years!!
    She just jumped into the lead by a few thousand. Go Sinema!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    She just jumped into the lead by a few thousand. Go Sinema!
    Presidential temper tantrum in 5, 4, 3...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Presidential temper tantrum in 5, 4, 3...
    And Scott is (*snicker*) claiming voter fraud in FL because they are still counting the votes. Love those GOP/Trumpkin idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does ranked choice come into play there? Is it only if one candidate doesn't received 50% of the vote initially?
    Yeah, if a candidate makes 50% or higher (or maybe higher than 50%, not sure), the race is done and that candidate won. However, if no candidate breaks 50%, then you reallocate the candidate who's in last place. You take all the votes for the people who voted him as #1 and then reallocate those votes to whomever they voted as #2.

You repeat this process until someone breaks 50%

So imagine I voted Hoar, Golden, Bonds and Poliquin, in that order. My father voted Hoar, Bonds, Golden, Poliquin (not actually, just as an example)

Hoar lost. Golden was my second, so my vote for Hoar, goes to Golden. However, my father's second was Bonds, so his vote goes to her.

There's still no leader, it's now Golden and Poliquin neck and neck. Bonds is in last place now, so her votes get reallocated.

My vote states with Golden, my father's vote for Bonds now moves to Golden.

And then you count again, until one candidate breaks 50%.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Proud to say it was an absolute blood bath in NJ, resulting in not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Republican US Congress seats lost to Democrats. Out of 14 federal level positions, NJ now has 13 Democrats. Basically Chris Christie left the NJ GOP moribund, Trump just put it out of it's misery. Trumpism isn't going to work in a racially diverse, highly educated state.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Proud to say it was an absolute blood bath in NJ, resulting in not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Republican US Congress seats lost to Democrats. Out of 14 federal level positions, NJ now has 13 Democrats. Basically Chris Christie left the NJ GOP moribund, Trump just put it out of it's misery. Trumpism isn't going to work in a racially diverse, highly educated state.
    Fan-fucking-tastic. Well done NJ!

Did you see Christie might be on the "short list" for AG? Does that asshat even understand what Trump is going to ask him to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Yeah, if a candidate makes 50% or higher (or maybe higher than 50%, not sure), the race is done and that candidate won. However, if no candidate breaks 50%, then you reallocate the candidate who's in last place. You take all the votes for the people who voted him as #1 and then reallocate those votes to whomever they voted as #2.

You repeat this process until someone breaks 50%

So imagine I voted Hoar, Golden, Bonds and Poliquin, in that order. My father voted Hoar, Bonds, Golden, Poliquin (not actually, just as an example)

Hoar lost. Golden was my second, so my vote for Hoar, goes to Golden. However, my father's second was Bonds, so his vote goes to her.

There's still no leader, it's now Golden and Poliquin neck and neck. Bonds is in last place now, so her votes get reallocated.

My vote states with Golden, my father's vote for Bonds now moves to Golden.

And then you count again, until one candidate breaks 50%.
    Love it - that's how I thought it would work but wanted to clarify. The United States on a federal level and a state/local level needs to adopt that immediately. If we ever get a super majority in House/Senate and the state legislatures, we need to pass a couple of swift amendments to fix our utterly broken voting system.

And Scott is (*snicker*) claiming voter fraud in FL because they are still counting the votes. Love those GOP/Trumpkin idiots.
    Typical GOP in Arizona they're suing to have the remaining uncounted mail-in ballots thrown out.

As it stands this morning there's still 400,000 remaining votes to count, with 375,000 coming a mostly democrat lean district and the remaining 25,000 from the rural areas.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2018-11-09 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think it's more than just the rednecks, I also think its' still the residual Southern racism that extended into the cities and suburbs across the entire region. My mother-in-law is racist, although she would swear otherwise until the day she died. Florida is filled with the polite racists, the ones who smile to your face, and simply look down upon someone when their back is turned.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't the people you're talking about. There are, in droves. But they always vote. They are the southern gentiles who dutifully go to church, their children's extra curriculars etc. and they vote.

What I'm saying is that rednecks and young liberals, only vote here when there's a reason to be fired up. Right now Trump has them fired up for and against, so they sort of cancel each other out and you have the blue hairs and gentiles already voting Repub. With Obama, the rednecks weren't fired up, they stayed away and the tide of young and minorities beat out the old people and churchgoer southerners.

Florida can be flipped blue as a state, but you have to keep the rednecks disinterested while firing up the young and minorities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't the people you're talking about. There are, in droves. But they always vote. They are the southern gentiles who dutifully go to church, their children's extra curriculars etc. and they vote.

What I'm saying is that rednecks and young liberals, only vote here when there's a reason to be fired up. Right now Trump has them fired up for and against, so they sort of cancel each other out and you have the blue hairs and gentiles already voting Repub. With Obama, the rednecks weren't fired up, they stayed away and the tide of young and minorities beat out the old people and churchgoer southerners.

Florida can be flipped blue as a state, but you have to keep the rednecks disinterested while firing up the young and minorities.
    Florida is slipping away from the Democrats, they are going full Trumpster... Ohio, too. I'm not saying you abandon them, but you have to temper expectations.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Typical GOP in Arizona they're suing to have the remaining uncounted mail-in ballots thrown out.

As it stands this morning there's still 400,000 remaining votes to count, with 375,000 coming a mostly democrat lean district and the remaining 25,000 from the rural areas.
    Are you fucking kidding me? Suing to throw out the remaining uncounted votes? I swear each and every fucking day the GOP just gets worse and worse.

#deplorable45

Florida is slipping away from the Democrats, they are going full Trumpster... Ohio, too. I'm not saying you abandon them, but you have to temper expectations.
    As @Skroe pointed out, FL is rarely Dem.

I'm just saying it can be done though, bore the rednecks and fire up the youth and minorities.

I'm just saying it can be done though, bore the rednecks and fire up the youth and minorities.
    All a GOP candidate has to do, is dog whistle some racist bullshit, and they will get their votes. You literally just saw it happen.

10+ Year Old Account

I think the biggest differences are women leaving the GOP because, let's be honest, Trump's behavior, and the GOP bleeding younger (50 and under) college educated types thanks to their callous disregard of scientific consensus.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

All a GOP candidate has to do, is dog whistle some racist bullshit, and they will get their votes. You literally just saw it happen.
    I'm not arguing that at all. I was just laying out a strategy for what I believe is a way to win FL for blues.

Are you fucking kidding me? Suing to throw out the remaining uncounted votes? I swear each and every fucking day the GOP just gets worse and worse.

#deplorable45
    In Arizona you're able to change your vote up to 5 days after the election. With the vote being close and the Green party having over 5000 votes. They're afraid the Green party voters who favor the Democrats over the Republicans might excersie their right and change their vote.

It's the mailed in vote post marked on and after the election they're wanting thrown out. Which seems rather stupid because its a clear cut state law, you can just suspend a law because it doesn't favor you.

https://twitter.com/cindymccain/stat...99741178875906

Cindy god damn McCain, widow of Republican Senator John McCain.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    In Arizona you're able to change your vote up to 5 days after the election. With the vote being close and the Green party having over 5000 votes. They're afraid the Green party voters who favor the Democrats over the Republicans might excersie their right and change their vote.

It's the mailed in vote post marked on and after the election they're wanting thrown out. Which seems rather stupid because its a clear cut state law, you can just suspend a law because it doesn't favor you.
    Seems pretty clear cut on the law. There is literally no surprise about the GOP trying to invalidate a law just because they don't like it and it's not favoring them. They are the party of suppressing the vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/cindymccain/stat...99741178875906

Cindy god damn McCain, widow of Republican Senator John McCain.
    Go McCain!

Yeah, there’s honestly a few easy ways to make FL blue (or at least keep it a competitive purple). #1 is to value and restore people’s voting rights in the state, and there was major headway on this with restoring voting rights to felons who have served their time. Last estimate I saw put this at around 60k votes for Democrats, net, enough to flip the race to Nelson and Gillum if they had been able to vote in 2018, it looks like. If Florida (and SCOTUS) had actually valued the votes of Floridians, we would have had President Gore in 2000, and possibly 2004, which would have meant FL voting Democrat for President would be the norm for the last 20 years, rather than the exception.

#2 is to actually take Florida seriously, which Nelson (and Clinton in 2016) kind of didn’t, as @Skroe keeps saying. This is a larger problem with the Democratic Party as a whole, where they don’t take races as seriously as the should, but it looks like the house and Governors have at least learned this lesson. Hopefully Senators and the nominee for president in 2020 will too. Gillum I think did take his race seriously, but he’s also at a disadvantage because racism.

#3 is changing demographics, but Democrats shouldn’t rely on that. Demographics will change Florida, Texas, etc. blue slower than the party thinks, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Warned; 2018-11-09 at 05:59 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    @Hobb - are those mail in ballots changeable after the deadline like the other votes? How does that work if they are postmarked after the date?