Thread: Ultrawide?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Ultrawide?

Anyone using a 29" or 34" ultrawide?

I am debating on getting a LG 29" or 34" UW or maybe a 27" 1440p soon.

I currently run triple Dell u2412m ips monitors that are 1920x1200 resolution.

I do have an AMD card 580 8gb.

Opinions or recommendations would be great.

I currently play WoW, Overwatch, Fortnite(Barely), and some other random titles.

Thanks!

Deleted
    When it comes to gaming, there are two issues that you might encounter with an ultrawide monitor.

Firstly, not every game supports a 21:9 aspect ratio. If that is the case, the image might be stretched to fill up the entire screen or the edges will simply remain unused. This is often the case with older games, but even some newer ones such as Overwatch deliberately disable 21:9 support in order to avoid giving some players an unfair advantage.

And secondly, a larger, wider monitor also means a higher display resolution. This could negatively impact in-game performance, especially if you’re using a weaker GPU. Therefore, make sure that your GPU can fully support an ultrawide monitor before getting one.

If we’re talking about non-gaming applications, there really are no major disadvantages that you’d have to contend with if when using the monitor for everyday tasks or work. Ultrawide monitors are, however, more expensive due to the extra size. As such, if you intend on getting one for non-gaming applications, make sure that the advantages that it offers are truly worth the extra money.

It’s simply very subjective.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    Anyone using a 29" or 34" ultrawide?

I am debating on getting a LG 29" or 34" UW or maybe a 27" 1440p soon.

I currently run triple Dell u2412m ips monitors that are 1920x1200 resolution.

I do have an AMD card 580 8gb.

Opinions or recommendations would be great.

I currently play WoW, Overwatch, Fortnite(Barely), and some other random titles.

Thanks!
    FWIW i went ahead and bypassed Ultrawides when i got my monitors and went with 4K. I have had 0 issues running WoW. Only minor issue is with World bosses with people around and ton of graphics happening. But then again i've heard of streamers seeing fps issues in raid settings typically they run with latest and top end graphics card and more along the Ultrawide HD screens over 4K so your mileage will vary.

as mentioned, overwatch wont let you make use of the ultrawide so that is something to keep in mind for sure.

1920x1200 is 2,304,000 pixels. 3440x1440 is 4,953,600 pixels. it is a fairly big leap in work for your graphics card! wow and overwatch should be fine with a 580, idk about fortnite or other random games, but its another thing to keep in mind.

personal opinion: i don't like ultrawide. prefer having extra monitors for more real estate, but i don't want to play games any wider than 16:9.

I have a 34' inch ultrawide and I LOVE IT, granted I only play WoW and that is ultrawide supported.

WoW on a 24" LG 2560x1080 is excellent,you get so much more room for you ui at 21:9.

Overwatch is the only title that i've played recently that didn't support ultrawide. I love my ultrawide monitor but it did take some getting used to. A lot of empty space on websites, and some video playing does some strange shapes sometimes. It's all watchable but sometimes there is quite a bit of extra black space.

I can tell you what game you won't need an ultrawide for...

Deleted
    Using a 29 inch LG. If you are into racing or flying sims, it's definetely worth it. If you come from a double monitor setup, it's worth a consideration. Otherwise the appeal is limited; it's unlikely my next monitor will be yet another Ultrawide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    WoW on a 24" LG 2560x1080 is excellent,you get so much more room for you ui at 21:9.
    And strongly disagree with this one, a 24" 21:9 has roughly the same height as a 20" 16:9. It's tiny, stuff is hard to read and you should really check the format out before buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I can tell you what game you won't need an ultrawide for...
    Is there an obvious answer to this question?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, I didn't realize that Overwatch never ended up supporting 21:9.... I will still have 2 of my monitors set up, but don't really want to have to go back and forth. I don't have a ton of money, but want something decent. I am leaning toward the LG 29" ultrawide (if I go UW); or just getting a decent 1440p 27". Does anyone have any opinions on some decent budget friendly 1440p monitors. I am a pretty big Dell fan, but some of them get pricey.

Thanks for the responses

I splurged and bought the 49 inch samsung ultra wide. WoW looks amazing on it, you see so much more. And Samsung has the easybox application that lets you split the screen however you like pretty much. Can use it as 2 or 3 monitors. Or even split it 6 ways if you want.

Some games don't support and get stretched a bit near the edges, but you're not really focusing there anyway.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Using a 29 inch LG. If you are into racing or flying sims, it's definetely worth it. If you come from a double monitor setup, it's worth a consideration. Otherwise the appeal is limited; it's unlikely my next monitor will be yet another Ultrawide.

- - - Updated - - -

And strongly disagree with this one, a 24" 21:9 has roughly the same height as a 20" 16:9. It's tiny, stuff is hard to read and you should really check the format out before buying it.
    Made a minor mistake,I got a 25" 21:9,I had a 23" 16:9 prior to that and I would never go back,yeah I lost about an inch of height,doesn't change that going from old TN to new IPS made it a massive upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Made a minor mistake,I got a 25" 21:9,I had a 23" 16:9 prior to that and I would never go back,yeah I lost about an inch of height,doesn't change that going from old TN to new IPS made it a massive upgrade.
    Yeah, a friend of mine has one of those. I guess it depends on your eyesight. For me, fonts are too small. Or if I have to scale them to 125% or so, the advantage of the higher resolution is lost - at least for text. Those monitors are really for people with excellent eyes or those sitting very close to the screen, that's why I recommended to check the format first hand.

And I'd never go back from IPS to TN as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    ". Does anyone have any opinions on some decent budget friendly 1440p monitors. I am a pretty big Dell fan, but some of them get pricey.

Thanks for the responses
    I recommend LG's ultrawide monitors, I recently got a curved one and its amazing. Now with black friday/cyber monday around the corner I would wait, Also newegg has amazing deals on refurbished/openbox products as well.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    I recommend LG's ultrawide monitors, I recently got a curved one and its amazing. Now with black friday/cyber monday around the corner I would wait, Also newegg has amazing deals on refurbished/openbox products as well.
    Amazon has some good deals on used as well... I got an LG 4K to match my other for dual monitors... It was like it was never ever used before. Probably someone bought opened decided did not want and returned.

No bethesda games support ultrawide, not even fallout 76, beware.
    also join in with yelling at them please.

I tried two of them, a VA panel which was TERRIBLE in EVERY WAY and the alienware IPS panel which had tons of IPS glow, Backlight bleeding and one half of the screen was warmer than the other, could see it especially on a fullscreen white google page.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    No bethesda games support ultrawide, not even fallout 76, beware.
    also join in with yelling at them please.

I tried two of them, a VA panel which was TERRIBLE in EVERY WAY and the alienware IPS panel which had tons of IPS glow, Backlight bleeding and one half of the screen was warmer than the other, could see it especially on a fullscreen white google page.
    For most Bethesda games you can download a widescreen mod.

Deleted
    I've recently helped siblings build a decent gaming setup involving 27" 1440p (165 Hz G-Sync) montiors with each PC equipped with a 1080 TI, which is the sweet spot card for that resolution and gaming above 100 fps. You have an excellent card for 1080p, going any higher would mean sacrificing frame rates or investing in a new card.

- If you have no intention of upgrading your system and want a widescreen then you have probably too many choices at 60hz and 1440p. IPS for great colours and visuals, TN for a potential bargain (TN high refresh panels are great for gaming but requires a decent system to support it)

- if you do plan on upgrading your system with a significant spend in the not so distant future then I would wait for this to happen before investing in a widescreen to be honest. The choice of panels and v-sync technology (are u sticking with AMD? Then you want a Freesync monitor) makes a lot more sense waiting in this case.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2018-11-10 at 06:31 PM.