Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

New Interview: Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate?

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-1...n-for-sylvanas

"I've heard these discussions on the internet about 'she's going off the rails', but is she? I've been writing Sylvanas personally since 2006, and this is pretty much - the Wrathgate and the Blight and the Forsaken - in character. Those were all under Sylvanas' orders. What we're seeing now is an escalation of the plans Sylvanas has, clearly, and we're in the middle of that."
    Well, that sure is something. I guess Putress and Vatimathras were just her patsies. Or Blizzard doesn't exactly know their lore, misspoke, or decided this is how it should be.

He probably misspoke but it's funny how they don't know their lore

And by funny i mean sad
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so fucking done with this shit.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

And by funny i mean sad
    Well, it might not be the case that he doesn't know the lore. This is clearly something he's been thinking of as part of the pattern for Sylvanas's behavior. Why would he even think of mentioning the Wrathgate when discussing Sylvanas's shady behavior, unless that has always factored in for him?

It's not like Sylvanas doesn't have a regular pattern of lying since Warcraft 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-1...n-for-sylvanas

Well, that sure is something. I guess Putress and Vatimathras were just her patsies. Or Blizzard doesn't exactly know their lore, misspoke, or decided this is how it should be.
    That would certainly be new information causing a pretty dramatic shift in the loyalty equation. I'm not sure if the author of the article has misquoted Afrasiabi or that is indeed the truth of it, though; we'd need an external confirmation to be sure. This would effectively retcon "Chronicle Vol. 3" in addition to the actual events of WotLK.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I'm quitting the game if they retcon her into that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    That would certainly be new information causing a pretty dramatic shift in the loyalty equation. I'm not sure if the author of the article has misquoted Afrasiabi or that is indeed the truth of it, though; we'd need an external confirmation to be sure. This would effectively retcon "Chronicle Vol. 3" in addition to the actual events of WotLK.
    This. Exactly.

I think Chronicles Volume 3 implied Sylvanas may have known more about the Wrathgate than she let on, and it wouldn't be a retcon if Sylvanas threw Varimathras and Putress to the wolves to exonerate herself after the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

And by funny i mean sad
    They even made NPCs refer to Tyrande as "Queen of the Night Elves" during the Darkshore Warfront.
    This was changed retroactively recently.

I'm growing ever concerned that no developer is left with the original spirit of the game, and that they stopped caring about WoW at this point...

There was always some suspect over how involved Sylvanas was in the Wrathgate incident. That being said, it'd make no sense that she would be routed from Undercity if Putress was just following orders.

What he may have meant to say was that the blight developed was under her orders, which I'm fairly sure is true. Its use was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    I'm quitting the game if they retcon her into that.

- - - Updated - - -

This. Exactly.
    You know, not every piece of information is a retcon. People gotta stop using that word without knowing what it is. Changing the eredar from the demons who corrupted Sargeras into a normal race corrupted into demons by him is a retcon. Sylvanas being in on the Wrathgate and playing the victim as part of a plan is not.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is so comical I want it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    There was always some suspect over how involved Sylvanas was in the Wrathgate incident. That being said, it'd make no sense that she would be routed from Undercity if Putress was just following orders.

What he may have meant to say was that the blight developed was under her orders, which I'm fairly sure is true. Its use was not.
    It makes perfect sense if Putress was a patriot taking the blame so that Sylvanas would go unpunished. The coup could have been staged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    "The fact that game was rigged from the start was also rigged from the start".

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post

The Blight was 100% developed under her orders. The entire Tirisfal/Silverpine/Hillsbrad storyline, followed up in Howling Fjord into Dragonblight was about Horde heroes flat out helping them make it.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    I think Chronicles Volume 3 implied Sylvanas may have known more about the Wrathgate than she let on, and it wouldn't be a retcon if Sylvanas threw Varimathras and Putress to the wolves to exonerate herself after the plan.
    Well, it was always Sylvanas' word as to whether or not she was involved - Thrall believed her, as did most of the other Horde leaders, and it stands to reason she would've never permitted Varimathras or Putress to endanger her own position as leader. But beyond that, who can really say? Hopefully we get more information on this, one way or the other.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Blizzard not remembering their own lore? Color me shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Well, it was always Sylvanas' word as to whether or not she was involved - Thrall believed her, as did most of the other Horde leaders, and it stands to reason she would've never permitted Varimathras or Putress to endanger her own position as leader. But beyond that, who can really say? Hopefully we get more information on this, one way or the other.
    Honestly it seems that wow writers are losing their grip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The Blight was 100% developed under her orders. The entire Tirisfal/Silverpine/Hillsbrad storyline, followed up in Howling Fjord into Dragonblight was about Horde heroes flat out helping them make it.
    I don't think Sylvanas ever denied she created the Blight - even other non-Forsaken groups were aiding her in the process during the beginning of WotLK. What she denied was its use at the Wrathgate to kill both the Horde and Alliance (as well as the Scourge), followed by Varimathras and Putress' coup d'état against her at the Undercity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Honestly it seems that wow writers are losing their grip.
    Perhaps so, who can really say. This wouldn't be WoW's first major retcon but it's apt to cause some serious soul-searching in the playerbase, that's for sure.

I don't think Sylvanas ever denied she created the Blight - even other non-Forsaken groups were aiding her in the process during the beginning of WotLK. What she denied was its use at the Wrathgate to kill both the Horde and Alliance (as well as the Scourge), followed by Varimathras and Putress' coup d'état against her at the Undercity.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps so, who can really say. This wouldn't be WoW's first major retcon but it's apt to cause some serious soul-searching in the playerbase, that's for sure.
    Chronicles actually directly states that she lied about who created the Blight, laying the blame for its creation solely on Putress and Varimathras. It also says the coup was genuine, but that Sylvanas probably knew about it beforehand and let them go on with their plans anyway.

I dunno, man. It seems like Blizzard's writers are just unable to keep the facts straight anymore. They really ought to hire someone whose job is literally to "proof" all writing, check the Lore for inconsistencies. It seems like they're all just "winging it" now.