Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, polls suggest something different, but ok. Considering the amount of travel I do within Europe year by year it becomes harder and harder for me to identify not with Europe as a whole.
    Okay, what does the european identity look like as regards to believes and mentality, west, south and east differ quite a bit and northerns call us pretty much insane with our drinking habits. But it goes far beyond that. So i couldn't for the life tell me what an european identity looks like as personal freedoms over everything is not something all appreciate as the south and the east still have deep catholic roots to the point homosexuality or to be homosexual what is a personal freedom is considered a plague upon society.

So i'll gladly hear it what this european identity is suppose to be since to me we still have quite a bit of different world views and priorities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Okay, what does the european identity look like as regards to believes and mentality, west, south and east differ quite a bit and northerns call us pretty much insane with our drinking habits. But it goes far beyond that. So i couldn't for the life tell me what an european identity looks like as personal freedoms over everything is not something all appreciate as the south and the east still have deep catholic roots to the point homosexuality or to be homosexual what is a personal freedom is considered a plague upon society.

So i'll gladly hear it what this european identity is suppose to be since to me we still have quite a bit of different world views and priorities.
    Well going by that I probably couldn't even identify with my district. I don't care about what divides us, I care for what we all have in common, and regardless if you're from Germany, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands or Poland or wherever from within Europe, we have a good amount of things in common. So maybe I'm just happy with identifying with the idea of a unified Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whipps View Post
    The USA .. Why does Europe need an army to protect it from one its NATO Allies ?
    Have you considered that Macron might have said we should defend ourselves from hacking from certain countries in a quote seperate from the quote about the military?

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe this nonsense still makes the rounds. The US is providing less to NATO funding than the EU. LESS
    Thats the way... Move the goal mark to win your argument. Of course, the EU pays more it has more countries we are talking about individual country vs country.

TBH US should just leave NATO it does us no good anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Thats the way... Move the goal mark to win your argument. Of course, the EU pays more it has more countries we are talking about individual country vs country.

TBH US should just leave NATO it does us no good anyway.
    ...said with all the knowledge of person that would say "I dont have a kid, why am I paying taxes on public education"

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    ...said with all the knowledge of person that would say "I dont have a kid, why am I paying taxes on public education"
    What does education have to do with anything in regards to fighting a war?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    What does education have to do with anything in regards to fighting a war?
    What war are you talking about?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Well going by that I probably couldn't even identify with my district. I don't care about what divides us, I care for what we all have in common, and regardless if you're from Germany, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands or Poland or wherever from within Europe, we have a good amount of things in common. So maybe I'm just happy with identifying with the idea of a unified Europe.
    Going to be the devil's advocate here and ask what exactly unites all those people?

I mean beyond peace and prosperity, i can't think of much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Going to be the devil's advocate here and ask what exactly unites all those people?

I mean beyond peace and prosperity, i can't think of much else.
    Common mentality on many issues, certain level of maturity, disdain for simplicity, refusal to see the world in only black and white, love of tradition, pride in history and culture...

I think what you're trying analyze here falls under lumping vs. splitting. Neither is wrong, it's simply a matter of personality.

I agree with Mayhem and find Europeans much more similar to each other than not, but I've lived in the US for many years, so I'm looking at things from a very zoomed out perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    We are stronger together.
    Damn sure we are.

(great read again Skroe)
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    1. Words on a page. Look at how Merkel's unilateral decision to take in all the world's refugees landed the entire EU with a huge "refugee" crisis.
    That didn't happen.
    She didn't make any such decision and she couldn't even make any such decision, because her office does not come with that power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    2. The obvious solution to the constitutional aspects is trivial. First, you would't use German soldiers in Germany (or French soldiers in France, etc) - you'd always send them where they'd be seen as foreigners, just on general principles. Second, the soldiers you did use in Germany wouldn't be bound by the German constitution in the same way that German soldiers are. Now, we know that the German constitution allows large numbers of foreign soldiers to hang around and do stuff, up to and including garrisoning the country, because they've been there and doing that kind of thing since the end of WW2.
    Yes, you have no clue... next?

Preach it, brother.

Alle Menschen werden Brüder.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You will adapt and treat other nations with respect again
    When you earn it

or you will be ignored, just like we ignore Russia. And god, I love me a bully that's being ignored... they make so funny faces!
    Like you can, lol. As I said, if there's ever an existential threat to the US, everyone is going down with us
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    When you earn it

Like you can, lol. As I said, if there's ever an existential threat to the US, everyone is going down with us
    We're ignoring you now, if you haven't noticed. Or did you think we'd actually stop picking up trade with Iran again just because your baby president is on his cycle? Or do you see us dropping sanctions against Russia because your baby president wants us to? If you pick a fight with China, you will be on your own. Mark my words.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

A joint EU army offers a number of major advantages whether within or without NATO.

It would eliminate redundancy, streamline logistics, equip the smaller nations with more modern equipment (like thinking in US terms, which states would be able to afford better hardware, Alabama and Louisiana or Massachusetts and New York), reduce costs, raise across the board standards and increase the power projection capabilities of European nations.

Right now much of the European defense spending is literally just wasted on running 27 (28 while the UK is still a member) parallel bureaucracies.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2018-11-11 at 11:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    That didn't happen.
    She didn't make any such decision and she couldn't even make any such decision, because her office does not come with that power.
    It doesn't matter a damn whether her office has the legal power to do so if the result of her treasonous behaviour in basically saying "everyone's welcome in Germany" is millions of mostly fighting age men coming into Europe. But anyway...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-10470062.html
    https://www.vox.com/2015/8/28/922039...migrant-crisis
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/mig...rian-refugees/

Etc. Fine, quibble over whether it was "Merkel" or "Merkel's government", but ultimately the buck stops with her, as Chancellor.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Yes, you have no clue... next?
    Not an argument.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    My hind end you are. Always whining, always complaining about how we do things. But never mind that your entire continent would be under either the swastika or the hammer & sickle but for our intervention.

1 exception: the UK. They are family; the rest of you are annoyances.
    For someone whose name contains the word "reality" you certainly don't live in it. The US did not win the war against Germany. Russia did, largely thanks to Hitler's hubris. The US were not the heroes of WW2. Unless you count dragging your feet and refusing to help until millions of Jews have been killed and your allies have been completely decimated, and then only joining after you've been attacked to be heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    For someone whose name contains the word "reality" you certainly don't live in it. The US did not win the war against Germany. Russia did, largely thanks to Hitler's hubris. The US were not the heroes of WW2. Unless you count dragging your feet and refusing to help until millions of Jews have been killed and your allies have been completely decimated, and then only joining after you've been attacked to be heroic.
    As much as I identify with the US and despise Russia, I thank you for this contribution.
    Last edited by Eveningforest; 2018-11-12 at 01:10 AM.

You better be arming up, because when you see civil war break out on US shores, an entire world at conflict is not going to be that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    You better be arming up, because when you see civil war break out on US shores, an entire world at conflict is not going to be that far behind.
    I suspect they'll be celebrating, not fighting. The only thing they would really have to worry about if the US had a civil war would be a Reality Trembles kind of person having enough power to do exactly what he supports: If we are going down, we are going to take down the rest of the world too.

On a practical note, there is no arming that would be useful for the rest of the world to do. If the President, or someone else, decided to launch our nukes at the rest of the world, all the world could really do would be to enjoy their last half an hour of life. However, the human race WOULD likely survive: there is a good chance that the southern hemisphere would have large areas un-nuked.