Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I don't find the reused assets at all concerning. Did we not go into this knowing it was a Fallout 4 asset flip? If you watch the Noclip documentary they specifically say this started from the devs workshopping an idea to do multiplayer in Fallout 4 but they wound up shelving it since it wouldn't fit with the game and the devs they had at the time had no experience working on multiplayer games, hence why they brought in another studio to help them.

I mean, I can understand people being disappointed this isn't a full Fallout entry on the day they did that hype stream and the days before the the conference where they explained what it was. But from that point on I feel that Bethesda has done a decent job communicating what this thing is.
    I'm not so sure about communicating what this thing is well. I have a few coworkers who are into gaming and only one knew what this really was, FO4 but online and with less story presence. Most thought it was Destiny-esque MMO, or a survival game. No one seemed very excited to be honest, but that's anecdotal evidence for you.

I don't think asset flipping is a cardinal sin either, but some more effort on that front would definitely have helped lift the perception that they just tacked a multiplayer option on FO4 then called it a day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    they just tacked a multiplayer option on FO4 then called it a day.
    That sounds easy.

I'm not so sure about communicating what this thing is well. I have a few coworkers who are into gaming and only one knew what this really was, FO4 but online and with less story presence. Most thought it was Destiny-esque MMO, or a survival game. No one seemed very excited to be honest, but that's anecdotal evidence for you.

I don't think asset flipping is a cardinal sin either, but some more effort on that front would definitely have helped lift the perception that they just tacked a multiplayer option on FO4 then called it a day.
    I cannot speak to how these people got the wrong impression. Did they not watch the videos of the conference?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd hardly say the game is a pure cash-grab (I reserve that term for obviously zero-effort Mobile and Steam games) but the sheer number of reused assets IS kind of concerning. New Vegas also did that a lot, but it was developed in one year by a different studio and still didn't reuse weapons and props nearly as much as 76. If not for the slightly different UI or presence of players, I could swear half the screenshots I saw were of FO4.

And don't me stuff about consistent world or anything. FO3 and FO4 don't reuse very many assets between each other. At least make the pipe weapons look different or some shit, it's not like there's a factory making them somewhere.
    Fallout 3 and 4 didn't directly re-use assets, because they were on different engines, and the models and textures from 3 (those that were relevant) had to be improved to meet the standards of the new engine.

New Vegas didn't do any such thing because it was the same base engine as 3. 76 isn't, because it's the same base engine as 4.

A box of Fancy Lads Snack Cakes should look basically the same wherever you find it. The only reason to change the model/texture is A> you're dealing with a special variety unique to a location, or B> you've got a new engine and you need better resolution and quality to meet the standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Wouldn't call it easy, but it does sound like something achievable by the modding community in their spare time...
    Perspective is key here. The modding community has many professional devs doing stuff in their spare time, and many many many more aspiring devs. Also, "in their spare time" often translates to half a decade of development or more and the project will likely be dropped before completion. Tons of ambitious mod projects are never completed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't call it easy, but it does sound like something achievable by the modding community in their spare time...
    You don't seem to understand the amount of time and effort modders put in stuff like this. Most of them are professionals or could-be-professionals, too.

I mean, I have a mod project for HoI4 that I've put nearly 500 hours in...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    expecting the mod community to fix beth's games is half the fun of playing a beth game on PC isnt it?

And now they're including cheaters too making it super easy to change code! They're such nice guys
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account

How accurate is this ?
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2018-11-12 at 08:38 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'm curious to see how this game will do in comparison to F4. I was at a party last night and when people heard about my game dev work they started asking what I thought about F76. I was surprised at how many of them (definitely your average game consumers, not hardcore gamers by any means) were disappointed at this game.

I dunno, how to feel about it honestly, but all I can do at this point is wait to see what the consensus is when it releases.
    F4 was a meh game but I still found enjoyment out of exploring post apocalyptic Boston with all the fallout fan service. Can't say it's a bad game cause I did spend 60ish hours in the game(and never finished main story LOL).

76 just ain't doing it for me. Any time I try to find something redeeming to want to purchase it, it feels like I'm watching a high speed train crash in slow motion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    How accurate is this ?
    It's some rando ranting about his own personal disappointments in life, so I'm sure it's quite accurate.

I'm sorry. I got as far as him pointing out that the game works perfectly, and then he started talking about how he personally doesn't like the game and I zoned out. Not really pertinent as far as information about the game goes.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-11-12 at 08:48 PM.

Compared to Dead Red Redemption, Fallout 76 wins seeing as it is actually smart enough to have the game on the PC to begin with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Compared to Dead Red Redemption, Fallout 76 wins seeing as it is actually smart enough to have the game on the PC to begin with.
    I dunno what dead red redemption is but if you mean red dead redemption 2 then wait a couple months and it'll be on PC too.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Fallout 3 and 4 didn't directly re-use assets, because they were on different engines, and the models and textures from 3 (those that were relevant) had to be improved to meet the standards of the new engine.

New Vegas didn't do any such thing because it was the same base engine as 3. 76 isn't, because it's the same base engine as 4.

A box of Fancy Lads Snack Cakes should look basically the same wherever you find it. The only reason to change the model/texture is A> you're dealing with a special variety unique to a location, or B> you've got a new engine and you need better resolution and quality to meet the standards.
    It's not a new engine, it's the same one but upgraded, "Creation engine" my hairy ass, it's still good ol Gamebryo.

They indeed made new assets because upscaled textures, models and such were very much necessary. Even when they were released both FO3 and especially NV looked dated as fuck.

I'm fine with Fancy Lads Snacks looking the same. But the weapons you look at for 99% of the game could have used a bit of a lifting or at least redesign to indicate that they are different variants and such.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I dunno what dead red redemption is but if you mean red dead redemption 2 then wait a couple months and it'll be on PC too.
    By "a couple of months" you mean like 24-36?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The orcs of rockstar are already at work building an army my lord. Build me an army worthy of mordor!

Im sure you can even find some unfortunate soul to link you their overtime hours and how they are struggling devs on 60k but I digress.

Point is, it'll be on PC sooner or later.

This game looks hot garbage. And wont take long for people to realise the gameplay is soul less.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Not sure it will be that long tbh. GTAV had the benefit of trying to get triple dippers so they held off until after next gen release.

They can't use that same strategy here, since next gen consoles are looking like 2020. They can release the PC version in 2019, and next gen versions in 2020. With GTAV it was current gen in 2013, next gen in 2014 and PC in 2015.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This game looks hot garbage. And wont take long for people to realise the gameplay is soul less.
    Hot garbage is exaggerating it heavily I think.

I mean, I liked Fallout 4, but it wasn't damn perfect - not even close. Still a good game though even with its flaws.

I feel the same way about Fallout 76. I was having equally fun playing it compared to Fallout 4. The game has some issues, it's definitely not perfect. But it's still a good, fun game.

Will it give me something to play throughout the next year? No way. Neither did Fallout 4 - or any other Fallout game, or any Elder Scrolls game for the matter.

People are expecting some MMO-level amounts of constant new content and replayability value of these (mostly) solo RPG's, which is absurd imo.

This black & white kind of thinking is stupid, too. A game is either the dogs bollocks or hot garbage. It's not that simple. All games have faults, some bigger and more plentiful than others.

A game can still be good and worthy of buying even if it isn't perfect. You aren't marrying it for life goddamnit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    How accurate is this ?
    So inaccurate that it's essentially propaganda. For instance, he claims there's "no NPCs", when there are. He claims there's "no characters to get engaged with", while at the same time dismissing the wealth of audio logs which in many cases do introduce you to characters whose stories you can get engaged with and interested in. He's trying to argue that solely because you can't see their face, they aren't a character, and that's nonsense. Are there no characters in novels? That's just text, which is a step down from an audio feed, right?

It's a nonsensical argument to make.

He complains about constant respawns. He's overselling that. A lot. I think the global respawn timer is something like 20 minutes? If you're seeing respawns any faster, it's because player presence is pushing it faster; the alternative would be him whining that everything was already dead all the time, or that he and other players were fighting enemies that the others couldn't see or interact with. Those are your three options, and he'd complain about whichever solution was used.

He complains the PC is "too tanky" and the game is too easy. I guarantee he's fighting low-level enemies all the time and not considering the availability of healing; I seem to have WAY less stimpacks in this game than ever before, and their weight means I can't carry a couple hundred with me at all times anyway. You can easily get in over your head and attrition is a bitch.

"The world is dead and empty" combined with "I used fast travel as much as I possibly could to skip worldspace" is a silly goddamned complaint.

Claims that all the enemies are the same Scorched everywhere, when he's pretty clearly stuck to the Forest, since my couple brief sojourns into the Ash Heap of the area around Grafton started showing some weird-ass other enemies.

"You have a quest log, like a literal shit ton of RPGs, and that's magically "bad"".
    "Area events are bad because other games have done something similar, ever, and we're not going to talk about the specifics, just that it's not a magically unique idea brand-new to 76."

Complains about level requirements on weapons, and that this alone makes it an MMO, like no other RPGs have ever used such a mechanic.

Complains there are "no quests", which is a flat-out lie.

Complains that loot "isn't worth anything" because it doesn't sell for many caps. Hello;
    1> Break that shit down and learn to make better versions.
    2> Break it down for materials
    3> Maybe just . . . don't pick up garbage if you don't need it? Crazy thought.

Complains the crafting menus are bad because they're all empty.
    Because he's not breaking shit down and learning new mods.
    Because he doesn't know how the game fucking works. Basic shit.

"Cash shops are always bad". This is just incorrect, on its face. Both because it's not a cash shop; it's an Atom shop and you can purchase Atom with cash but it also rains down on you in-game, and because cash shops can have value.

Claims that leveling up sucks because "the game randomizes the perks you can choose from". This is completely incorrect, outside of perk card packs, and only a little bit there. The perks you can pick from when you level are not random in any way whatsoever. Bragged that he didn't pick any perk cards because they all suck, and then complained that his character felt the same at level 11 as at level 1. C'mon.

Complains that you have to rebuild your camp every time. Dude, blueprints. I have a whole 6-foundation cabin I can drop in a single placement, with a bed, stash box, and every manufacturing bench installed. I think I have to rewire my generator to get my lights to turn on because of the height, but that's it. The space is small-ish for a settlement in Fallout 4, but you're just building for yourself here.

"Multiplayer is bad because it's halfway through this video and I haven't mentioned it yet, other than the times I clearly did". Jesus Christ.
    "Nobody wanted to group up so multiplayer is bad". That's not a game issue.

"PvP sucks because you can't gank people who don't want to PvP and there's no rewards ". Dude, go away.

"I found a way to fool people and get them to fall to their deaths and they're probably gonna patch that out because it's fun". No, they'd patch it out because you're being a tool.

His comments about the game's security have already been disproven.

So yeah; complete fucking garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedPlayfulMooseSuperVinlin

We've been over that, countless times now, why are we still pretending that we don't know what people mean by "there are no npcs".
    I understand what they mean. It's just not true. There are robot NPCs, that give out quests and such. There's just as much story in the holotapes as you'd have gotten from interaction with any human NPC. It's a claimed void that does not really exist in practice.

People really will do anything to defend a Beshitsda game