Poll: Favorite Shadow Playstyle

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogbunabali View Post
    The introduction of Mind Spike is the core of the problem for mostly everything, it removed dots promoting a non dot playstyle.
    That is the biggest difference between wrath and cata as well as not doing a good job of being dot based.
    Yes and no. Mind spike was a good idea. I leave blizzards original quote below. It all worked fine until they wanted to go away from the niche filling spell to a spell that is used in your rotation. Mind spike worked in cop as a niche filling playstyle, but in mop and legion when they tried the same it was just a mess :/
    Mind Spike provides a quick nuke to use in situations where the priest doesn't have time to set up the normal rotation, such as when adds are dying too fast or you have to swap targets a lot. Spamming Mind Spike will do about as much damage as casting Mind Flay on a target afflicted with Shadow Word: Pain. The idea behind the debuff is that when you cast Mind Spike, we expect you to cast a lot of them; we don't intend you to fit it into an already full Shadow rotation. It also provides Shadow with a spell to cast when locked out of the Shadow school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quack27 View Post
    Do you feel like Voidform can be properly balanced?
    It can't. Voidform can always work in theory or at target dummys, but not in any real scenario as long as its remotely close to its current or the legion iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    I miss the shadow orbs mechanic. Yeah it was basicly combo-points/Holy power, but why does every class need to be so stupidly unique?
    To be fair it isn't even unique. Its a builder/spender spec like balance, warlock and shaman. It doesn't get unique because you rename it and change the values =p

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    Yes and no. Mind spike was a good idea. I leave blizzards original quote below. It all worked fine until they wanted to go away from the niche filling spell to a spell that is used in your rotation. Mind spike worked in cop as a niche filling playstyle, but in mop and legion when they tried the same it was just a mess :/
    I see the design at the time what they meant but I can't unsee what it resulted in, cop and void form, the two worst states shadow has been.
    Even now they want to make shadow a non dot spec even the description on the spec currently says "Uses sinister Shadow magic and terrifying Void magic to eradicate enemies." not one mention of dot.

Cata, hands down. It's the reason I rolled a SPriest. (That and I was a bit upset with myself for endeavoring the Legendary on a fucking Elemental Shaman.)

Cata -> MoP -> WoD (CoP/HFC) -> WoD (AS) -> Legion for me.

Shadow Orbs and Devouring Plague never felt close to the Shadow ideal fantasy I've always dreamed about (mostly a name thing), but I can't deny the Cata mastery was nearly perfect: you proc'ed orbs (the only bad part of this) to empower your single target spells and, when consumed, you got a fat dot dmg bonus.
    Voidform is the ideal spec fantasy for me but I wish they would just think with more than 2 neurons when designing Shadow and look back to see what worked, what was liked by the playerbase and what lacks in the current iteration of the spec. We have far too many talents and traits (keep in mind the reworks some of our traits got for 8.1) that feel like should be something baseline. We don't have a single baseline proc or interation between spells whatsoever and this is why I always remember Cata shadow very fondly.

What did you specifically enjoy about this style? Was it having the consistent builder/spender gameplay, or was there something else about it?

- - - Updated - - -

What was it about orbs that you liked?

Why do you feel they changed it, and why did that change make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

What about Cataclysm did you like? Was it being strong, or the actual gameplay?

How would you translate that playstyle into today's game?

- - - Updated - - -

What about shadow orbs felt so good?
    PvP with orbs was a lot of fun, you could provide really good burst on targets.
    i feel they changed it cause it did not provide a lot of PvE utlity, and they were trying to re-vamp the class playstyle, to be more unique. Instead of being the caster version of a rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm by far. The best era for dot specs and almost all specs in general (Affliction especially). I actually really enjoyed CoP in WoD, only because it was such a beast in PvP. Aside from Vanilla, I feel as if that was the strongest pvp era for spriests.

Legion/BfA are by far the worst and I have since stopped playing my spriest. I won't play Shadow again until voidform and insanity are gone, even if they become the top DPS by miles.

Haha, and i was so excited to play one in Classic. Guess I'll have to wait for that TBC server.
    Their mana issues were not the worst of all specs (see oomkin, and ele), but they did have them. Rank 1 Mind Flay was cheap af (45 mana without mental agility) and did about half the damage of max rank, so you could spam that at oom and still actually do something.

Also Spriest is God Mode for PvP in classic. I wouldn't rule out playing one, unless all you care about is topping meters in raids only.

DS in Cata with 4set. The burst window of the 4 piece was super fun.

CoP >>>>> all the rest.

BC - having an ability that automatically got you into groups, regardless of your personal dps. I’m a big proponent of bringing the class, not the player.

Cata - DoT snapshotting, offensive cooldown, mindflay refreshes shadow word pain, stacking personal damage buff to manage while attacking things, introduction of mind spike to add situational burst damage to small adds. First expansion where I felt like a complete dps spec and not 2nd rate.

WoD - I enjoyed having a single target big damage spec, that could do well in dungeons and apply big damage to adds in raids. Very powerful spec with very low ramp up. Shadow orbs and searing insanity allowed you to bank orbs and apply instant pressure to high priority targets. I enjoyed having the strongest boss damage in the game. Like with BC, I felt unique and valued in the raid for something only I could do.

MoP - I think this boils down to abilities like Divine Star that gave me raid utility back, beyond just my dps. Felt almost like BC again as our healing was quite substantial.

To answer your question about current WoW, Preacher from Preach Gaming did a YouTube on Shadowpriests a while back and I agree with everything he said. Just make void form a dps cooldown.
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2018-11-12 at 07:46 PM.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Really great breakdown, thanks.

Yea, i really wanted to find the options that i have seen talked about frequently, seemed realistic to bring back, and that felt very unique.

I can certainly see that Wrath playstyle feeling good and getting the subtleties of it correct feeling very rewarding.

However also as you said it might not realistically translate today without removing pandemic and bringing back snapshotting, which i think are very unlikely.

Do you think the MoP iteration could still feel satisfying to you today since that's what you chose out of the options i included?
    i don't see MF:I from MoP working. it's too similar to void form in practice: you're forced to entire DP -> MF:I channel once you hit 3 orbs. iirc the one choice you could make was when to DP (you were only required to DP before your next MB came off CD) since no matter how you went about it, you were going to have to cast another MB before all 9 ticks of your MF:I finished.

MF:I in WoD (for the month that i messed around with it) worked far better since you had a choice of starting your MF:I rotation at 4 or 5 orbs. it's just WoD overall felt less interesting than MoP. probably (?) because snapshotting was removed in WoD and MoP had juicy UVLS 100% crit SWP with your apparitions extending your DoTs to last over 2 minutes if you got super lucky.

i could see MoP's version of shadow being enjoyable today but it relied on some weird nuances to make it viable at the top end that wouldn't really fit in today's design philosophy. you tried to farm orbs before a fight so you had some semblance of opener burst for lust (resources are now discarded on pull). reverse life grip from the glyph was a weird way of overcoming your lack of mobility (glyphs are gone). having to snipe heals to proc ToF was pretty much mandatory. which in turn made the ProM glyph mandatory (glyphs gone + we have no instant heal anymore). snapshotting is just flat out gone except for ferals i think? we had non-negligible off healing from VE, DS and halo (blizzard has really moved away from hybrids contributing to off healing.)

and i bring these all up because i think it was this complete package of small nuances and slight-hybridness that made shadow enjoyable to play (if you enjoyed shadow, it was cause it was a labor of love, not because of the numbers). because in reality you were always just a shitty version of affliction warlock (except during cata). so to even bring that sort of play style back, blizzard would actually have to let shadow have a fair chance on the meters compared to afflocks. and frankly, that just won't happen.
    Last edited by wombats23; 2018-11-12 at 08:08 PM.

Do you feel like Voidform can be properly balanced?

Would you be ok knowing some fights and world content you will likely feel very weak? Are the times that you feel strong enough to make up for that?

Do you still prefer BfA version of Voidform over other playstyles, or specifically the Legion version?
    I think it's tough to balance a mechanic that focuses on short heavy bursts because you can end up being too strong on add fights but too weak on Patchwerk, but I'd rather have an interesting mechanic that's perhaps numerically somewhat undertuned than have something that works but doesn't really have any depth (like 3-orb plagues)

I thought the Legion version was more interesting than what we have currently. Voidform now feels like it doesn't really matter and you only really cast Eruption for the up-front damage, while in Legion you actually wanted to stay in Voidform.

8.1 looks decent in terms of making voidform feel more powerful so we'll need to see.

Cata > WoD AS are the by far best versions. Everything else is kinda whatever.

Cata was the pinnacle of the original Shadow design, 8 years of improving the spec, always adding new stuff without changing the overall playstyle or feel of the spec. Snapshotting and manual hardcast multidotting for days. The by far most rewarding version of the spec,in terms of performance boost after exellent play.

Then you have the "Shadow orb era" with MoP and WoD. WoD with AS was the exact same playstyle as MoP, just with AS proccing orbs on top of it, aswell as a much improved QoL from having 5 orbs instead of 3. I don't rate CoP tbh. I was some weird purple Mage spec they decided to give us for 2 year.

Not a fan of the Legion or BFA playstyles at all. BFA is preferred over Legion though, because fuck the 0,75 sec GCD high Haste play. Hoping for a complete redesign going into the next expansion tbh.

They already redesigned the spec twice before when it was at it's peak, so why not do it now when it's at an alltime low. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept it though. Blizz has an annoyingly bad habit of redesigning/getting rid of stuff that works perfectly and is fun to play, while also keeping around obviously broken/bad mechanics for ages.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2018-11-12 at 11:09 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

What did you specifically enjoy about this style? Was it having the consistent builder/spender gameplay, or was there something else about it?

- - - Updated - - -

What was it about orbs that you liked?

Why do you feel they changed it, and why did that change make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What about shadow orbs felt so good?
    exactly what you said: the consistent builder spender gameplay. i dont like stuff like stop n go. i like the flow. besides that, you didnt feel gimped, like today, when doing trash, world stuff etc. and your voidform is always present or running out at the wrong times. for a 7min boss, the spec is nice. for ebb and flow situations it sucks. imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    Clarity of Power all day. Was so sad when they took that away. Love the concept of assaulting your enemy's mind(s), hate DoTs. Second place would probably be TBC mana battery.
    Out of curiousity, did you pick up a spriest due to CoP or did you play it before/after?
    I always find it so odd when people complain about the DoT concept on spriests considering it's all we've ever had besides one single expansion :P

My personal favourite is probably WotLK, but I didn't mind Orbs/DP either. Legion was fun but the reward vs risk gameplay was too impactful, it made the difference between a good attempt and a bad attempt far too large along with encouraging bad gameplay (ignoring mechanics or cheesing).

Anything other than Voidform, because they’re terrible at balancing it, and it punishes you severely for doing mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Out of curiousity, did you pick up a spriest due to CoP or did you play it before/after?
    I always find it so odd when people complain about the DoT concept on spriests considering it's all we've ever had besides one single expansion :P
    I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but I wanted to add my 2c.

CoP actually brought me back to the game after a very lengthy hiatus. I’d been playing a shadow priest for almost 8 years and about halfway through MoP I was just bored with it. Not with the game but just the repetition of doing the same thing for years on end. I wanted to try a different class by that point, but I had invested so much into my priest that it was easier to just take a break. Having a new and very different play style on the class that I considered my “baby” was perfect for me. I loved every minute of WoD because it gave me something completely different to do and to learn, while allowing me to stay on the character I loved.

Tangential to the above, I have long felt that the dot play style is a lot of work. It’s rewarding when you master it, but it’s still hard work. As I got older, the satisfaction and reward for effort did not feel like it was there anymore. The cliche of, “working twice as hard for half the result,” echoed in my brain every single raid night throughout MoP, and I was starting to hit a breaking point.

In honesty, I see the game these days as a gruelling marathon grind. My hands ache after many nights of intense raiding, and the APM of a class is something I pay close attention to now, whereas when I was a younger player, this was something I never thought about.

The ideal class to me these days is on that has low APM, high direct target damage, with the ability to switch targets and drill down adds with a few burst moves, and low responsibility otherwise. CoP was essentially my dream come true, and what I felt was essentially a swan song at the end of a decade of exhausting raiding and intense multidotting. I’m spiteful that they removed it and replaced it with a play style that for all intents and purposes is essentially the virtual epitome of carpal tunnel syndrome mixed with a migraine headache. I understand why some people vilify CoP and still do, but it doesn’t invalidate my perspective and feelings.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    mana battery by miles, I loved being support

hate voidform
    Mana Battery is definitely very popular, but that would require changes not just to us but to mana, healers, and encounter design as a whole. That is something I would possibly discuss in a separate thread.

Do you have a preference of playstyle that you have enjoyed post TBC? One that you enjoy and feel like could translate into today's game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    WoD Shadow Priest, but that's the earliest I've played it (apparently the MoP SPriests were good).
    I miss the shadow orbs mechanic. Yeah it was basicly combo-points/Holy power, but why does every class need to be so stupidly unique?
    I'd rather have shared mechanics than a unique one that feels like I'm playing ping-pong.
    Very good feedback.

So it does not bother you to feel too have shared mechanics and be another builder spender class?

If SPriest is another builder spender, what makes you still attracted to it as opposed to another class with a similar mechanic?

Is there specifically something about Orbs that you like, or would spending Insanity from your Insanity bar still feel good?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    tbh with you any version then what we have now.
    Do you have a preference though?

Clarity of Power is vastly different than Cataclysm; but would you still feel pretty happy with either?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    It really hard to explain I guess, I liked that part where you had to manage 3 dots on the target, proper MF clips were important, I remember I was reading forums all the time how to properly improve that, it was a nice felling when i manage to do it properly, having Dark Angel and Shadowfiend up was a LETS DO THIS felling, something like i have when im in meta on my DH, you could say, well whats the difference now? you still have 2 todays, still have MF or MB, i cant really explain it, something is off about current shadow priest, the bust i could do with SWD and DS tier was super, a proper execute, the felling of Mind Spike rotation was superb, right now i fell nothing, no exciment, nothitng, each time im in Void form i want to get out as fast as possible so i can use Void eruption faster
    Ok, so you hit a couple things there.

Consistent rotation. Outside of specific windows, the mechanics are pretty consistent in the sense that you do not have a bunch of procs to watch, or extra resources to manage. You keep up your priority list without a constant "wrench" thrown in. This of course is completely different from today where there is a constant "wrench" thrown in by going back and forth between voidform.

Cooldown Burst. When it was time to pump out the damage you had multiple cooldowns to make you feel powerful. Today we often have no cooldowns at all since Mindbender is so good, so the moments that should feel powerful like Shadow Fiend and Voidform do not because we are constantly using them.

So, did having longer times between Voidforms in Legion give you a good feeling of consistency and of power when you went into Voidform?

If we just had a base gameplay of our current outside of Voidform rotation, and Voidform was a 3 minute cooldown would that feel like better play to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTed View Post
    Whichever was the WotLK style. That one by miles
    What about Wrath playstyle did you enjoy? What made it more enjoyable to you than any other expansion's playstyle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    Clarity of Power all day. Was so sad when they took that away. Love the concept of assaulting your enemy's mind(s), hate DoTs. Second place would probably be TBC mana battery.
    Since dots are typically considered such core gameplay to Shadow, what makes you play Shadow if you do not like dots?

Do you essentially "put up with dots" because you just enjoy the flavor of the class or some other aspect enough?

Do you feel like that should be core gameplay for Shadow to have no dots, or do you believe they should reintroduce it as a talent option like it was in WoD?

Was there anything else you liked about CoP, or just that it meant no dots?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    I think part of the reason it feels off today compared to then is the Dark Archangel vs Voidform. Voidform doesn't feel like a proper cooldown; it's so core to using it in the rotation these days that it's not exciting when you get the buildup into it vs Dark Archangel which felt like a proper cooldown back then. Losing SW: Death as a baseline ability that shadow has had since I believe BC is also very awkward; taking something that has been in the shadow priest kit as a natural ability for close to 12 years and making it a talent that isn't even a strong one just feels wrong. Cataclysm also allowed you to play like a proper spellcaster if you wanted to with Mind Spike/Mind Blast instead of being DoT focused, and they had fantastic set bonuses that either changed the way you played in between patches or encouraged proper play (such as reduced CD's on Mindbender/Shadowfiend and buffing Mind Blast damage if both DoT's were up on Firelands tier) or the Dragon Soul set putting a lot of emphasis on SWeath.

There was a real feeling of cooldown usage back then and having set bonuses made you feel much more powerful once you completed them, in addition to Mind Blast hitting like a truck back then to make up for the lack of burst damage priests had overall. In addition, Vampiric Embrace felt like a legitimate raid cooldown back then compared to something that is basically overlooked these days. In addition, orbs were a thing back then but gave a significant buff to Mind Spike or Mind Blast damage back then; stacking up orbs and lining up your burst with them was a skill-based thing to do if you could line it up with trinket procs, Dark Archangel, or various other cooldowns available to the raid. Mind Blast went from a filler spell that barely did more damage than a Mind Flay fully channeled to a significant part of the rotation, and at the time in Cataclysm also had a Mortal Strike-esque healing debuff built into it, making them a much more viable class to pick into a PvP match as well. Strong damage over long periods, slowing on Mind Flay, healing reduction and high burst on Mind Blast with Dark Archangel, and the durability added by using Inner Fire for armor and spell damage and swapping when necessary to Inner Will for the movement speed increase was a nice bit of flavor which I used in a macro to alternate between the two since only one could be active at a time. Inner Will swap while moving and back to Fire when stopping was another way to show skill at the class but most of the things you can do to show individual skill has been removed other than not letting DoTs drop off.

Cataclysm was the peak of shadow priest for myself for sure.
    Great feedback here.

So the lack of a true damage cooldown has been mention by others as well. Would adding one fix some problems? If Surrender to Madness did not have the punishment mechanic attached, would that at least feel fairly satisfying?

Did Voidform feel impactful in Legion when you were in longer instead of constantly in and out? Would Voidform be better as a cooldown?

Do you think it is a good thing for playstyles to consistently change throughout an expansion based on things like set bonuses? Does that not just make it feel bad when the next set bonus playstyle is weaker or not as fun?

Did Cataclysm feel great because the playstyle was just truly well designed, or was the fact that Shadow was just very strong and had a ton of tools (slow, vamp embrace, mortal strike, consistent damage and burst potential, execute damage) on top of being a top dps ultimately what made it feel so good?

I think there is certainly an argument (not saying it is a correct argument) that Cataclysm felt great because Shadow sounds like it was a little OP, but I could definitely be wrong about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ysil View Post
    CoP. I really, really enjoyed it. Mostly because it required you to play different when you were bursting.

And not different by giving you more haste, more resources or higher numbers. It was different because you played arround the anti-synergy of mind spike and dots to create burst windows where those anti-synergies were irrelevant and you were "unleashed". And the way you felt when you were unleashed was really great also. You spammed a lot of instant casts and saw huge numbers. It felt really great.
    Ok, so this sounds similar with what they have attempted to do with Voidform (get your dots, build some insanity, then cast cast cast).

In this case, why do you think Voidform does not feel as good as CoP did to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Price View Post
    do agree on that , that was the playstyle i loved most.
    What attracted you to Shadow since they have always been associated with dots since you do not like them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ogbunabali View Post
    I think cataclysm was the beginning of the end for shadow priest.

The introduction of Mind Spike is the core of the problem for mostly everything, it removed dots promoting a non dot playstyle.

That is the biggest difference between wrath and cata as well as not doing a good job of being dot based.

Also I have never been a fan of the orbs cause I don't want to be another combo point ranged rogue spec, I think we have enough of that.

I don't think removing pandemic and introducing snapshotting again would be a good idea, its an out dated mechanic and we should under no circumstance go backwards.

Same with people wanting devouring plague (even tho I would love it if it was back) and / or orbs back its jut not the way to go, we need to move forward.

That's not to say I want void form absolutely not, this weird mix of a failed verison of cop is an unfixable unbalanceable mess that needs to go fast.
    So if they put more of a focus on dots, what might you suggest that would separate us from just feeling like other Affliction?

Would having a very similar playstyle with Affliction bother you, or are you ok with every spec not feeling completely unique?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post

It can't. Voidform can always work in theory or at target dummys, but not in any real scenario as long as its remotely close to its current or the legion iteration.

To be fair it isn't even unique. Its a builder/spender spec like balance, warlock and shaman. It doesn't get unique because you rename it and change the values =p
    What for you makes something balanced? On a scale of 1-5, does being a 3 on each type of fight (single target, cleave, aoe, etc) mean balance, or is it balanced to be a 1 or 2 on some fights and a 4 or 5 on others?

Is it balanced to be a 5 in one raid tier, a one in another, and a 3 in another?

Also, I think you misunderstood what Aydinx2 was saying. It looks like Aydinx2 was saying "shadow orbs are not unique, but I do not think everything needs to be super unique" and was not suggesting that shadow orbs are unique.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    CoP >>>>> all the rest.
    is that why it's the least voted?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Cata, hands down. It's the reason I rolled a SPriest. (That and I was a bit upset with myself for endeavoring the Legendary on a fucking Elemental Shaman.)

Cata -> MoP -> WoD (CoP/HFC) -> WoD (AS) -> Legion for me.
    What about Catacylsm Shadow did you see that made you want to roll it?

Was it seemed very fun to play, or was it that they were very strong?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
    Shadow Orbs and Devouring Plague never felt close to the Shadow ideal fantasy I've always dreamed about (mostly a name thing), but I can't deny the Cata mastery was nearly perfect: you proc'ed orbs (the only bad part of this) to empower your single target spells and, when consumed, you got a fat dot dmg bonus.
    Voidform is the ideal spec fantasy for me but I wish they would just think with more than 2 neurons when designing Shadow and look back to see what worked, what was liked by the playerbase and what lacks in the current iteration of the spec. We have far too many talents and traits (keep in mind the reworks some of our traits got for 8.1) that feel like should be something baseline. We don't have a single baseline proc or interation between spells whatsoever and this is why I always remember Cata shadow very fondly.
    When you say Voidform is the ideal fantasy, does that mean something similar to the Voidform playstyle, but it just is not quite right, or just the general existence of Voidform even if it were a cooldown or something?

How would you incorporate your fantasy of what Voidform is with the Cataclysm playstyle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    PvP with orbs was a lot of fun, you could provide really good burst on targets.
    i feel they changed it cause it did not provide a lot of PvE utlity, and they were trying to re-vamp the class playstyle, to be more unique. Instead of being the caster version of a rogue
    Do you feel like the focus for Shadow should be on the consistent dot/channel damage, or the burst?

Is it ok to have both, or does that become unbalanced?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Cataclysm by far. The best era for dot specs and almost all specs in general (Affliction especially). I actually really enjoyed CoP in WoD, only because it was such a beast in PvP. Aside from Vanilla, I feel as if that was the strongest pvp era for spriests.

Legion/BfA are by far the worst and I have since stopped playing my spriest. I won't play Shadow again until voidform and insanity are gone, even if they become the top DPS by miles.

Their mana issues were not the worst of all specs (see oomkin, and ele), but they did have them. Rank 1 Mind Flay was cheap af (45 mana without mental agility) and did about half the damage of max rank, so you could spam that at oom and still actually do something.

Also Spriest is God Mode for PvP in classic. I wouldn't rule out playing one, unless all you care about is topping meters in raids only.
    Since Cataclysm seems a time that Shadow was just very powerful in PVE, and you say you liked CoP due to its PVP power, then would you say you enjoyed the design more or the power level more in these instances?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brightstar of Korgath View Post
    DS in Cata with 4set. The burst window of the 4 piece was super fun.
    How long was this burst window, and how did it work?

If Voidform became an even shorter window, but with heavy burst would that be more enjoyable?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    CoP >>>>> all the rest.
    What about CoP did you like so much?

@Quack27 Void form with shit tons of haste fell really really good, i would decrease the number of insanity each ability generate, so void form is like DH meta where it will improve our abilities

MF- stay the same but each X ticks generate a tentacle that will use MF
    MB-turn to Void Blast
    MS-apply SWP on each target
    SWD/SWP/Vampiric Touch has it damage increase by X in void form

I don't mind our current game style, all I want void form to matter, in the current gameplay, having void form like it is make no sense in my eyes, just a small buff shadow form