Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Thumbs up AP: The catch-ups are real.

Just realized my alt is 28 necklace, while my main is only 30.
    I do the same things on both: 4 WQs/day for emissary, 4 Islands/week for bonus, weekly guild raid, and a bit of M+.
    My main has 7x the time played, but is only 2 levels ahead on neck.

I'd say Blizz did pretty good at making BfA alt-friendly.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i do love those changes.. and even more coming next month
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so real it's unreal. It's almost as if it doesn't matter much at all if your favourite wow-activity of choice rewards much AP or not. In two weeks time you'll be were the try-hards were.

I don't really mind it though, having to farm AP sucked. With this system the only sucker is the one trying to do so.

Yeh thats why I just don't even bother playing outside of raid anymore. Who cares? I can just not play for a month and then do a couple world quests and I'll be caught up lol. Azerite 26 and 5/8M.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Yeh thats why I just don't even bother playing outside of raid anymore. Who cares? I can just not play for a month and then do a couple world quests and I'll be caught up lol. Azerite 26 and 5/8M
    Yeah - pretty much the same as in Legion, sit back and let the maths do the work for you.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I dont mind farming it, gives me something to do. I gain just over a level a week doing whatever WQs are up for AP and the raid/expeditions. I dont really m+ and I'm sitting at 32 getting around 40k a week maybe. Yes in a few weeks the AP for the next level I can do in 2 days, but whatevs
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

You do a weekly raid on every alt? That's way more time than I'm willing to devote.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

There's been continual confusion about this, and I made a thread on this at some point

https://www.wowhead.com/artifact-knowledge-guide

tldr: Works the same as Legion, BFA isn't different

It's an optics change to keep token values the same. They lower costs but also unfortunately decay previous AP earned to achieve this. So once I hit 23 to unlock 2nd ring of dps traits for mythic, I stopped, as I didn't feel my time spent doing AP activities would be worth it for the rest of the tier, which turned out to be the case. Probably a good thing too or I would have gotten burned out doing every AP activity for a few months

Originally the 2nd dps ring and defensives were swapped, which would have meant a lot more grinding, since those were mandatory for making some of the later mythic dps checks

I personally wish they didn't decay AP earned as heavily but I'm not all that interested in the grind either way anymore. Had enough of it in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    It's so real it's unreal. It's almost as if it doesn't matter much at all if your favourite wow-activity of choice rewards much AP or not. In two weeks time you'll be were the try-hards were.

I don't really mind it though, having to farm AP sucked. With this system the only sucker is the one trying to do so.
    What he said.

Though I guess for some people, maybe some levels of concordance would be nice? I barely see anybody at all on Wowprogress on my realm caring about the system. It's kinda just there.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2018-11-13 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex Major View Post
    You do a weekly raid on every alt? That's way more time than I'm willing to devote.
    Alt run for the alts. And I only have one alt at 120, so it's just the one night. Our alt runs are mostly about chilling and socializing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Yeah - pretty much the same as in Legion, sit back and let the maths do the work for you.
    In Legion you could hit many break points that gave you considerable power increases, especially in the last patch there were some later on. In BfA it doesn't matter at all after you've unlocked the first 2 rings on the gear you can reasonably aquire. Since the nethercruicible is now upside down you get the last meaningful talents immediately ad we are already past the catchup point for even mythic gear. The 3rd ring is just nice to have and the center piece is vastly over priced for what little it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    Just realized my alt is 28 necklace, while my main is only 30.
    I do the same things on both: 4 WQs/day for emissary, 4 Islands/week for bonus, weekly guild raid, and a bit of M+.
    My main has 7x the time played, but is only 2 levels ahead on neck.

I'd say Blizz did pretty good at making BfA alt-friendly.

Same as Legion, but just like in the TF debate, when math is involved, people fail to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    Engineers gotta engineer I guess. It's nice to know they spend dev time in carefully crafting systems that don't actually do anything
    Its genius on their part though when you think about it. They sucker you into grinding the fuck outta the necklace until its at a large number. Then they introduce the same grind at a smaller % so you do it all over again on your alt and then rinse and repeat. An based on what the Op said, this is basically the exact behavior they are aiming for..

Deleted
    It is super stupid progression. IDC about alts those should never be thing in first place. In mmo you are supostu be invested in 1 character at time. Not own 12 alts and have them at same progression. This only caused players to realize how their time invested being pernamentli diminished be catch up. If i would see my 1 month of work being worthless becouse i can now get exact same rewarda playing only 1 day i would insta quit doing anything in the game. And as it looks like thats exactly what many players did. It is pointless to invest time into wow = it is pointless to play wow.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Its genius on their part though when you think about it. They sucker you into grinding the fuck outta the necklace until its at a large number. Then they introduce the same grind at a smaller % so you do it all over again on your alt and then rinse and repeat. An based on what the Op said, this is basically the exact behavior they are aiming for..
    I really don't feel like I "ground the fuck" out of anything. Four WQs a day and four islands a week? That's not much of a grind. Weekly guild raid and alt run I would have done anyway. And M+ is probably my favorite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    It is super stupid progression. IDC about alts those should never be thing in first place. In mmo you are supostu be invested in 1 character at time. Not own 12 alts and have them at same progression. This only caused players to realize how their time invested being pernamentli diminished be catch up. If i would see my 1 month of work being worthless becouse i can now get exact same rewarda playing only 1 day i would insta quit doing anything in the game. And as it looks like thats exactly what many players did. It is pointless to invest time into wow = it is pointless to play wow.
    This just in: There was never a point to playing WoW. It's a video game. Only point is to amuse ourselves in our free time.

You say that.. grinding AP isn't worth it and that everyone will just be at similar level...

B-b-but... My "endless grind" narrative........

/s

Yup, the neck is pretty alt friendly. My DH is 32 now, after being 120 for about 5 weeks. That's from doing what you described in the OP as well as every AP WQ as well as a bit of PvP(for weekly chests). Getting a (varied) collection of azerite pieces on the other hand is... not alt(or main) friendly.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

That's good to hear, I'm currently not subscribed until some more stuff comes out and it's nice to be able to catchup within a couple/few weeks.

I know that this pisses off the hardcores that play and stay subscribed all expansion though.

system is good as excatly it is now. as a player playin since vanilla without interruption, and comin from a world of raid or die, where you play a char through the raids and that char is done for the week, to get time to play alts (what i always liked), i highly appreciate BfA for being exactly like it is.

so, i am the exact opposite type of previous poster „Sinndor“ and i strongly disagree to his oppinion. alt playing in wow was always a thing, before around MoP. it was the major activity, when you were done with stuff for the week. it was content.

no need here to play dumb stupid repetitive grind shit, when i can play another class with another feeling in game play instead. doing raids and dungeons more often, with diff class, is way better than doing a thousand fucked up WQs again and again and again. at least in my oppinion.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2018-11-13 at 07:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rolled a new character Wednesday last week. It's neck 25 now. Neck levels are super fast

Aye, noticed the same.
    My main has more than 10 days played and neck level 29.
    Last week my Death Knight reached 120, and today it's neck is 28, with less than 40 hours played.