Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question about modern cartoons.

Why do modern cartoonists keep shoehorning LGBT characters/themes into their shows? Clarence, Loud House, SvtFoE and Adventure Time all had LGBT characters. Why can't a cartoon just be mindless fun instead of virtue signaling?

Is it because most cartoonists lean FAR left?

Infracted, closing this.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2018-11-14 at 06:13 PM.

Why would they make Kirk and Uhura kiss?! Who wants this vulgar and sickening display of the PC SJW agenda forced down our throats in our good and wholesome entertainment?!

Fucking get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Why do modern cartoonists keep shoehorning LGBT characters/themes into their shows? Clarence, Loud House, SvtFoE and Adventure Time all had LGBT characters. Why can't a cartoon just be mindless fun instead of virtue signaling?

Obviously, they are extreme lefties and you should feel uncomfortable with your own closet sexuality.

When will you order your coming out cake?
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Pft, older cartoons are more progressive when there was a cow dating a German kid...

I can guarantee you pretty much any cartoon you can think of that you actually watched growing up signaled tons of heterosexuality. Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Scooby-Doo, Betty Boop, Gargoyles, Bugs Bunny, Animaniacs, He-Man, Justice League (original or revamp)... This argument only works if we no longer see relationships, or if gender is no longer expressed, or if gender roles are no longer discussed/prescribed.

Also, sexuality and human decency/respect should not be partisan issues.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2018-11-13 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krohgar View Post
    I can guarantee you pretty much any cartoon you can think of that you actually watched growing up signaled tons of heterosexuality. Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Scooby-Doo, Betty Boop, Gargoyles, Bugs Bunny... This argument only works if we no longer see relationships, or if gender is no longer expressed, or if gender roles are no longer discussed/prescribed.
    pffft. Elmer Fudd was totally gay for Bugs Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Krohgar View Post
    I can guarantee you pretty much any cartoon you can think of that you actually watched growing up signaled tons of heterosexuality. Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Scooby-Doo, Betty Boop, Gargoyles, Bugs Bunny, Animaniacs, He-Man, Justice League (original or revamp)... This argument only works if we no longer see relationships, or if gender is no longer expressed, or if gender roles are no longer discussed/prescribed.

Also, sexuality and human decency/respect should not be partisan issues.
    Bugs bunny was a cross dresser that frequently kissed men!

Let me ask you this: why should cartoons pretend LGBT people don't exist, like so many of them have for so long?

Yeah it feels forced in some instances (and definitely not all), but that's how it is when you're in the process of changing a paradigm. Part of it will remain jarring until normalization sets in, and that takes time.

Just look at race - it's been a long time since the Kirk/Uhuru kiss that was mentioned (and is a good example), and yet we're STILL having problems with racial representation in media. And will continue to for quite some time to come, because it's not easy to turn things around quickly.

This transition is a necessary process if we want to arrive at a society where diversity has become the norm, and acceptance is simply the way of life. If you do nothing, the status quo will continue; and that's not how many of the people in question really want to go on living. Yeah it's easy to complain if you're not affected, but put themselves in their shoes - though I guess in a way many people already are, when they're complaining. They feel threatened by these emerging identities, but don't stop to think that this might perhaps be close to what these people are feeling like ALL THE TIME. And by "threatened" I don't mean the life and limb kind of way (even though that, too, is a very scary reality for far too many non-hegemonic identities in far too many parts of the world).

In the end, think about it like this: is a little groan here and there in your entertainment really that high a price to pay to get inclusion underway?

Is it less fun if some of the characters are LGBT?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat People Falling View Post
    Americans are so weird about this imo. You have cartoons with tons of violence, guns, swords, etc.. and no one really cares. But God forbid 2 dudes kiss lol. Absolutely bizarre, I feel like if aliens ever probed the mind of an average American they'd be confused and assume inbreeding is rampant. Not saying all Americans are inbred but to freak out about 2 dudes kissing is something that I think indicates some level of inbreeding.
    Not sure about the inbreeding but definitely tells you about the culture yes, and the impact and influence radical evangelicals still have in America from culture to politics. Violence, racism, homophobia good. Sex bad. Tis a silly place.

Anyway, it’s because homosexuality is normal to be represented now, just like coloured people. Deal with it, you only think it’s shoe-horned in because you dislike it. Heterosexual romances are annoyingly shoehorned in to a lot of media too unnecessarily so it’s more a media presentation problem than anything else.

It's not new.

Bugs bunny always seemed more than happy to dress in drag and make out with other dudes.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    They want to and it’s there show?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Also true!

I'm just saying that if you include an LGBT character, they should be a character who just happens to be LGBT, rather than having an LGBT character for the sake of having one.

Honestly, it's just because of bad writing.

For any media, some times it feels like it's been shoehorned in for some agenda or virtue signalling when t's done badly. Often sometimes these series don't focus on ANY relationships, so building it around their sexuality status is jarring. (Like Iceman coming out as gay, and abandoning superheroics to download Grindr and cruise gay clubs in his first issue).

If it's well written it's just a part of the show. If you take the new Voltron series, I think that effortlessly weaves LGBT characters in normalises them that it's just fluent part of the characters and story. It's not "in your face" because no relationships/sexualities are in that show. They didn't feel the need to sit around for a conversation debating if Pidge is trans or not.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    That's different. Bugs cross-dressed as a disguise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not seen any of the series you mentioned, but I am guessing it is out of an attempt to be more inclusive. Trying to show kids that there are all kinds of people out there in the world and not just hetro men and women and not pushing the married, white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a dog ideal that used to exist in the majority of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat People Falling View Post
    Americans are so weird about this imo. You have cartoons with tons of violence, guns, swords, etc.. and no one really cares. But God forbid 2 dudes kiss lol. Absolutely bizarre, I feel like if aliens ever probed the mind of an average American they'd be confused and assume inbreeding is rampant. Not saying all Americans are inbred but to freak out about 2 dudes kissing is something that I think indicates some level of inbreeding.
    I kinda want to probe your mind and figure out how you got from homophobe to rampant inbreeding.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    (Like Iceman coming out as gay, and abandoning superheroics to download Grindr and cruise gay clubs in his first issue)
    Is this real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Is this real life?
    Well, he goes back to the superheroics eventually...

Iceman being gay was one of the strangest things to be honest. His past self comes to the present with the other xmen, past Jean Grey is just like "oh, you're gay" and past Iceman accepts that, present iceman doesn't and then like 10 years later present Iceman is gay.

Edit: I was incorrect, young Iceman was revealed to be gay in 2015.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2018-11-13 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Why would they make Kirk and Uhura kiss?! Who wants this vulgar and sickening display of the PC SJW agenda forced down our throats in our good and wholesome entertainment?!

Fucking get over it.
    Star Trek was the first interracial kiss on screen in history... TOS was campy as fuck but it also broke more ground and covered more sensitive topics than most shows combined.

Presumably, cartoons do the same these days because they’re much cheaper to produce than live action
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation