Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Am I the only one that would've preferred a TBC server rather than a classic server?

I mean, I played Vanilla and raided fairly hardcore and enjoyed it at the time - but in my personal opinion the pinnacle of WoW was TBC.

Many of the annoying aspects of Vanilla were fixed (yes, there were annoying aspects) - the good things like attunements (which I think were great for the game and the raiding community as a whole) were still a thing, both races had all classes which didn't give an edge to any race on certain situations.

The story line was great, the raids were awesome with some of my personal favourite ones like Lady Vashj, Illidan and such... .

I'm not going to point out all the things i loved about TBC but i'm wondering if i'm alone on this.

Maybe it's nostalgia for me and the fact that I made the leap from a fairly hardcore raider to a full on hardcore raider in TBC with all server firsts and a high world rank that makes it special to me personally.

In theory - they could've gone with a few servers for Vanilla only, for TBC and maybe for Wrath - once they figured out the technical difficulties of getting the older version of the game to work on the newer technology I would think it's only down to setting up the relevant game patch on the server.

I think they should release a new xpak server between each new xpak from now on. That would take care of the downtime, and I would guess the work would be easier than Vanilla.

Everybody would have prefered that, they just don't know it yet. They will realize is when they boot classic and open their talent pages just to realize everything they loved is still not in the game.

It will come if classic is successful.

Most people would probably prefer Wrath, TBC was great but still suffered from numerous problems that plagued vanilla.

(Plus, it was the time of what people consider the "best" Warcraft villain in wow)

Deleted
    Everybody feels nostalgia for different things.

No. And if they gave us TBC servers, everyone would be wanting WotLK servers. Probably not too much after that. Maybe someone would like MoP servers. Or WoD servers. Yeah, that's right, I said WoD. Choke on that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Nope, I’d have preferred TBC too. Especially since there aren’t any good private servers for that period.

But Blizzard had to start somewhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dear Father Blizzard, for Hallow's End, I would like a Wrath of the Lich King server.
    From your faithful warlock.
    Vanilla player since day 1 Europe.
    I think everything should be account-wide.
    Cross-faction grouping for dungeons and raids should be a thing.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Most people would probably prefer Wrath, TBC was great but still suffered from numerous problems that plagued vanilla.

(Plus, it was the time of what people consider the "best" Warcraft villain in wow)
    Wrath was awesome with the Lich King and all, but if you think back, it was the start of dumbing down dungeons, multiple raid difficulties/sizes (hard modes thankfully softened that a bit early on), Dungeon Finder.

(Sarth3d or Ulduar were fun however)

Wrath was like 2 expansions in one, after Ulduar , raiding changed from 2 (10/25) to 4(10N/H/25/N/H) lockouts a week (until Cata pre patch set it back to 1)
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-11-14 at 04:19 PM.

Yes.

and they will very likely be progression servers anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Royram View Post
    I mean, I played Vanilla and raided fairly hardcore and enjoyed it at the time - but in my personal opinion the pinnacle of WoW was TBC.

Many of the annoying aspects of Vanilla were fixed (yes, there were annoying aspects) - the good things like attunements (which I think were great for the game and the raiding community as a whole) were still a thing, both races had all classes which didn't give an edge to any race on certain situations.

The story line was great, the raids were awesome with some of my personal favourite ones like Lady Vashj, Illidan and such... .

I'm not going to point out all the things i loved about TBC but i'm wondering if i'm alone on this.

Maybe it's nostalgia for me and the fact that I made the leap from a fairly hardcore raider to a full on hardcore raider in TBC with all server firsts and a high world rank that makes it special to me personally.

In theory - they could've gone with a few servers for Vanilla only, for TBC and maybe for Wrath - once they figured out the technical difficulties of getting the older version of the game to work on the newer technology I would think it's only down to setting up the relevant game patch on the server.
    It's all waiting for you on the live version of the game, just lock your xp at 70 for tbc, 80 for wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Wrath was awesome with the Lich King and all, but if you think back, it was the start of dumbing down dungeons, multiple raid difficulties/sizes (hard modes thankfully softened that a bit early on), Dungeon Finder.
    10 man raiding the same raids was what I consider one of the best things in wow, it allowed intimate groups of people to do things. I raided purely 10 man from Wrath (though i did pug 25) til they fucked it up in WoD and forced us to go larger, then everything fell apart, we tried for awhile but then just stopped raiding hardcore because 20 felt too impersonal and large (we raid with a lot of in area friends). Also, the LFD thing is beaten to death, some people hate it, most people like it. I used to play a lot of off hours, and prior to the tool, it wouldn't be uncommon to spam for 30+ min even as a tank, LFD was a godsend (lfr was really not as positive though)

TBC had better raid and class balance, but Vanilla had better immersion and world building.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    It's all waiting for you on the live version of the game, just lock your xp at 70 for tbc, 80 for wrath.
    That's a delusional statement, you can't experience Vanilla (specially not after cata), TBC, Wrath, Cata, Mop, WoD, or even legion anymore. The whole game from start to finish is always the current the expansion since their systems are now long gone. Just because you lock yourself at 80 doesn't mean you get Wrath talent trees, and Wrath spells, and things like DK Hybrid tanks.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    10 man raiding the same raids was what I consider one of the best things in wow, it allowed intimate groups of people to do things. I raided purely 10 man from Wrath (though i did pug 25) til they fucked it up in WoD and forced us to go larger, then everything fell apart, we tried for awhile but then just stopped raiding hardcore because 20 felt too impersonal and large (we raid with a lot of in area friends). Also, the LFD thing is beaten to death, some people hate it, most people like it. I used to play a lot of off hours, and prior to the tool, it wouldn't be uncommon to spam for 30+ min even as a tank, LFD was a godsend (lfr was really not as positive though)
    To me it's not about the size, I 10 man raided most of Cata and MoP as it wasn't the lesser difficulty, it had the same lockout/loot as 25, while in Wrath, it was the Extra difficulty for more gear, at least to my guilds progression.

Seperate lockouts vs 1 or shared is a big difference in game approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    To me it's not about the size, I 10 man raided most of Cata and MoP as it wasn't the lesser difficulty, it had the same lockout/loot as 25, while in Wrath, it was the Extra difficulty for more gear, at least to my guilds progression.
    So you'd be fine with difficult 10 man? If so we can be in agreement there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems likely based on what they said. I also assume that they'll charge to transfer a classic character to it which is basically getting you to pay for the expansion a second time.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you'd be fine with difficult 10 man? If so we can be in agreement there.
    If it was done like Cata or MoP, yes, with 1 bossclear per week.

A TBC with all the bugs that somewhat ruined the launch fixes would bei something i would play again.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."