Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Character select screen....

Is there a specific reason why the character select screen hasn't been update at all since Vanilla launch?

Would really love to see a new character select screen. Maybe have all your alts round a campfire or something, anything that is more engaging and exciting then the current one, it's really really starting to show it's age now.

Deleted
    It's been updated in different ways several times over the years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, not like you're supposed to "hang out" on the character select screen anyway so why have it "flashy"? What they have is a real simple layout which also works fine imo.

It has been updated with a very significant and important change: you can change the order of your characters in your account list. THANK GOD for that!

The only thing that really needs an update is the list itself. I don't like having to scroll through my characters. I want to see them all at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    The only thing that really needs an update is the list itself. I don't like having to scroll through my characters. I want to see them all at once.
    I agree with that, either smaller font so it can fit more, or some other solution. Kind of a pet peeve that I need to scroll down to see all my characters now.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    It has been updated with a very significant and important change: you can change the order of your characters in your account list. THANK GOD for that!
    Fun fact (or not, since I don't have proof) - one of my guildies back in Wrath supposedly suggested that idea to the devs and they were rewarded with a free authenticator. Whether it's true or not, seems kinda cool to see players' ideas make it into the game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathayus View Post
    Is there a specific reason why the character select screen hasn't been update at all since Vanilla launch?

Would really love to see a new character select screen. Maybe have all your alts round a campfire or something, anything that is more engaging and exciting then the current one, it's really really starting to show it's age now.
    We have attachment to the current general layout.

Also, the current screen works and is mostly fine. They shouldn't mess too much with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it needs updates. Maybe some minor UI changes, but it works fine as it is
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I'm happy with the way it is now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFaerie View Post
    Fun fact (or not, since I don't have proof) - one of my guildies back in Wrath supposedly suggested that idea to the devs and they were rewarded with a free authenticator. Whether it's true or not, seems kinda cool to see players' ideas make it into the game.
    They actually did that a back in Wrath/early Cata a fair bit to promote Authenticator use. A friend of mine got one for submitting a ticket about some bug in Deepholm? I think. ;p
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

They also updated in one of the expansions that the background wasn't faction based but race based. It used to be a static background for each faction (Orc background for all of the Horde and Human for all of the Alliance).

I guess the important question is, how would you even want it updated? It is literally just a list of characters and buttons to make a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    I guess the important question is, how would you even want it updated? It is literally just a list of characters and buttons to make a new character.
    Nothing major:

Either make the font smaller so that all your characters are there without scrolling, or make different "styles".

Classic style like it is

Radial
    Have all your characters with their ingame Face Icon Thingy (Can't think of the name) and Name arranged in a circle, with the character you have hilighted in the middle how it is now.

(NOT AN ASCII ARTIST SO FORGIVE ME)
    .....o.....o
    ...o..........o
    ...o.MAIN.o
    ....o.......o
    .....o.....o

Something like that.

I'm sure there are other ideas, but I think this would be cool

Nothing major:
    Well, that was a question for the OP. Aside from being able to scale the font size to accommodate the entire list as once (which personally, while annoying, isn't that huge of a difference for me, personally), what other realistic "updates" could they add?

How much time you spend on the character select screen to actually care btw ?

It's like people getting hyped over the login screen yet 99% of people login through BNET and it almost instantly puts them into character select screen,making the login screen pretty pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the scrolling down was just supposed to be a temporary fix for the expanded capacity, I thought they would do something more elegant when they launched the xpac, but no, add it to the list of things I thought we'd get with BFA that they didn't take the time to get right.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFaerie View Post
    To be fair, I've (and many others) also had this idea since vanilla

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It serves its purpose, and honestly the only "update" they could reasonably do is making the UI more minimalistic. Look at basically any MMO on the market and it uses some derivative of the WoW style.

Hell, it's a style WoW stole from Everquest (along with most of its MMO stylings).

FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    Either make the font smaller so that all your characters are there without scrolling, or make different "styles".

Classic style like it is

Radial
    Have all your characters with their ingame Face Icon Thingy (Can't think of the name) and Name arranged in a circle, with the character you have hilighted in the middle how it is now.

(NOT AN ASCII ARTIST SO FORGIVE ME)
    .....o.....o
    ...o..........o
    ...o.MAIN.o
    ....o.......o
    .....o.....o

Something like that.

I'm sure there are other ideas, but I think this would be cool
    I agree, no need to -change- the current screen, but they could definitely add alternative character selection and character creation screens. They're just UIs, they don't take that long to create (well, they do if they're as visual as the one OP described, but I wouldn't expect something so unnecessarily complex as one of the options).