Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"The world owes you nothing"

Whenever you talk about economic, interpersonal, societal and other struggles, some smartass eventually shows up with the age-old argument of "the world owes you nothing".

If the world owes you nothing, it follows that you don't owe the world anything either. That means you are free to act like an asshole, break laws and destroy the environment.

The world does, in fact, owe you something. If you are to be a member of society, that society owes to treat you with respect. You, in return, owe to treat the society with respect as well.

"The world owes you nothing" line of thinking leads to destructive behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Whenever you talk about economic, interpersonal, societal and other struggles, some smartass eventually shows up with the age-old argument of "the world owes you nothing".

If the world owes you nothing, it follows that you don't owe the world anything either. That means you are free to act like an asshole, break laws and destroy the environment.

The world does, in fact, owe you something. If you are to be a member of society, that society owes to treat you with respect. You, in return, owe to treat the society with respect as well.

I generally agree, but I would point out that it depends which sort of social contract theory you and your society follow. Some would say as long as you are safe in your property without having to worry about bandits/marauders then society has fulfilled its end of the social contract. Which political philosophy are you applying to social contract?

What a reach lmao

Laws exist to promote order, not to "help" people. Without them we would have chaos, and that has nothing to do with helping people. Breaking the law and being an asshole isn't the opposite of helping people. I'd say the best opposite is becoming a billionare and keeping all the money to yourself.

I remember this line of thinking in my early teenage years. With more experience, your outlook and thought process will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Vandal View Post
    most people are conditioned to be nice little law-abiding dolts.
    Oh lordy, we got a bad-ass over here.

The world owes you nothing.

you're free to to do what you want but society has set up these laws and will force them on you whether you like it or not, transgress enough and they can kill you.
    You're free to destroy as much of the environment as you can (within society's law unless you break it) you don't have an obligation but your own morals on it.

The reason a concept like the purge exists is because there is a segment of the population that would go crazy if no laws or punishments kept them in check, beyond the already "criminal" element. The fear of punishment keeps people in line.

the world owes you nothing but you owe the world, or face society's wrath

Exactly the kind of response I would except from the large group of people I mentioned, tbh.
    Oh yes, us "sheeple" who aren't as woke as you. I bet you wear your Che t-shirt every day.

OP isn't wrong. Just make sure you don't get caught breaking the law or are in a position where not even the law can touch you.

You won't score any friends with that line of thinking though, most people are conditioned to be nice little law-abiding dolts.
    Are you really trying to call people sheep unironically?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Are you really trying to call people sheep unironically?
    Yes he is, and it is hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

You do you, I'll do my own thing. Sounds good?
    Sure thing, Comrade Badass.

"The world owes you nothing...your girlfriend owes you nothing...your ex wife owes you nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Oh yes, us "sheeple" who aren't as woke as you. I bet you wear your Che t-shirt every day.
    Didn't he claim to be from some crime family in Bulgaria or Bolivia or some country?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Didn't he claim to be from some crime family in Bulgaria or Bolivia or some country?
    Really? If it's Bulgaria I'd be interested in hearing which family. A lot of guys from the Balkans like to pretend they're gangsters.

If he's pretending to be a communist AND a gangster that would just be omegaluls.

It's just one way for supporters of authoritarianism or exploitative capitalism to tell you you don't have a right to complain.

There is nothing wrong with accepting reality.

The sooner that people realise the universe does not care if you live or die, and random influence has a huge impact on your life - the sooner you can stop blaming yourself for everything and start focusing on changing the things you can control.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I typically avoid commenting on people who try to puzzle my RL together (and get it hilariously wrong).

But no, I'm neither a communist NOR pretending to be a gangster. Did I grow up in a wealthy crime family however? Yes. It gives you a very different perspective on the world, and no, I live in West-Europe, but it's just the same in the USA. Crime families have close ties with politicians and both tend to be above the law. I've seen horrible things in my life, things most people wouldn't ever have to witness.

And please kind sir, real talk, how is someone supposed to interpret the world when you see millions of people slaving their ass off at their 9 to 5 job (or longer) while you know other people just go around murdering and raping and making more money in a day than 99,9999% of the rest of the world would make in their entire lives? How would you feel when you know the government condones it and the cops take bribe money to let all that happen (or take part in it since they have the training) while putting their faces on the media and pretending they're against it?

I've very little motivation to comment further on it in this thread, but no... the world is exactly that, a nice little pen with walls of lies and deception and keeping the common people misinformed and ignorant about all the shit that is really going on above their heads or behind their backs.

This isn't even meant as a brag, this is half meant as me not knowing what else to think or do. I never WANTED to see or know all these shitty things. It leaves a scar on people, it fucks with their heads, it makes sure they'll never be or think like other people again. Part of me actually feels really bad about it all, like a victim would.

And secondly, I'm no communist. I do not support communism. So not sure where you got that idea.

But where in the world would people get the idea that they're not nice little penned up domesticated creatures is far beyond me. No, it isn't. I understand it as a self-defense mechanism. As trying to keep some sense of self-worth they perpetuate the lie to themselves that they aren't.

Note: I'll avoid replying to many comments made on this post, because every time discussions pop up about how "sheeple" people are the moderators come driving through with their infractions. And honestly the best place for me to talk about my life would be with a psychiatrist, not on mmo-c. Maybe it just partly saddens me that I can't without some asshats thinking I'm trolling. It only isolates me further from everyone else when I can't mention my RL or own experiences ever.
    Seems like you are on the verge of realizing how diabolically evil democracy is, and how western society is run by sociopathic religious zealots who believe they are good people.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The world owes you an opportunity to succeed my dude. Interpersonal struggles are your own thing, figure it out if you want or not. I've taken to obsessive hobies and ideas to cope with it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're missing a part of your quote, though I'd suspect that's intentional given your instant dogpiling on disagreement.

"The world owes you nothing and it will take everything from you" That's what my mom always told me growing up. This isn't some word magic bullshit that says "go around and be an asshole" like you're idiotically assuming it means. It's to show that we all come in and go out of this world the same. From the point where you're born, the world owes you nothing but what you can take on your own merit and one day, it'll all be meaningless.

It's meant to give you perspective, to show that you're not special, nobody is. The only things you deserve are what you can get on your own merits(excellence, perseverance, lies, etc. whatever you're good at? leverage it.) you're not entitled to what others have. If they choose to share then fine, if not then you'll need to make do on your own, but don't begrudge them for it. Think of the ending of the ant and the grasshopper, how it's left to interpretation? This is the philosophy where the asshole dies, starving and freezing in the snow, and the one who was constantly berated by them lives. Maybe sad, maybe not.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Respect means that you have something to look at again. Society raises you to adulthood in exchange that you contribute back. Society owes you nothing, it already gave you plenty.

7+ Year Old Account
    "The world owes you nothing" simply means that you're not entitled to anything tangible that you're unwilling to earn. Also, laws exist to protect the rights of individuals. Individuals like you. For future reference, if you don't understand something, don't bitch about it.

10+ Year Old Account

i dont think it is meant that way.

e.g taking your example of respect. respect is earned. following the rules of society does not mean you respect it. its just adhering to laws. it does however make a better community and society to respect and be respected.

as far as the specific of "the world owes you nothing". honestly in my opinion that is just general competition. its a dog eat dog world out there. every one works towards what they want to get. it doesnt just show up. you want something. you go out and get it (while adhering to the law of course).

i mean you could go break laws and destroy the environment. its not like captain planet will show up to stop you. the police or other authorities definitely will. and they wont really care much for smart ass comments.

- - - Updated - - -

You're going to have a hard time to convince me of anything else.

convince you of what? the token beleaguered neurons you possess, have yet to form a coherent response to any of @Stelio Kontos or @Calfredd 's post.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)