Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I just want to skip to the part where the next genre kills battle royale games already. As long as that genre isn't more hollow, pointless and stupid as battle royale games anyway.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

I'd hope so. MOBAs are abysmal. Way worse than battle royales, as bad as they already are.

MOBA's killed MMO's?
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    MOBA's killed MMO's?
    And MMOs killed RTS games /s
    Thread should be closed.

No, mobas Are fine and still huge, why do you bother with this?
    We humans have to stick together

Just the new flavor of the month for gaming genres. Like how 90's had fighting games, 00's had platformers, ect.

Considering how many adds I see on tv for League of Legends recently I would assume they have lost a ton of players do to Battle Royale games. NEver saw any before this year.

We used to play games that we control workers, building, all combat units at the same time. But thats too hard
    So we play MMO.
    But leveling is too slow, find group is annoying, travelling sucks.
    So we play moba.
    But last hit for 10 minutes is ridiculous
    so we play battle royal games.
    But searching for equipment is dumb and slow.
    So the next big thing will be DIABLO IMMORTAL! Do you guys not have phones!

10+ Year Old Account
    If by "killing" you mean attracts people who jump on popular things - yes. Yes it does. But i'm kinda happy with it, since both LoL and HotS became more playable after various stuff like battlerite popped up
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    It certainly killed hero shooters in the crib.
    to be fair. did any hero shooters do well besides overwatch?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Just saying, MMORPGs weren't really a fad. Perhaps they were before Blizzard came around, but they mastered the genre and developed into something that truly can appeal to anyone; it's just a big investment, and few companies want to make that kind of investment.
    I compare them because they have similar popularity grow in popular culture. The MMORPG genre isn't dead, but for many people it was a fad. By WoW's 10th anniversary (2014) there had been created more than 100m accounts, while there has never been more than 12m concurrent subscribers. The majority of people didn't play for multiple years. Around WoW's infancy, it was a novelty for many people to be able to play with so many other people in the same map, and in a world with very little loading screens. They also worked essentially as a proto social network.

Similarly to League of Legends with MOBAs, and now Fortnite with Battle Royale, WoW's success prompted multiple companies attempting (and essentially failing) to clone it.

I don't believe either MMORPGs or MOBAs declined because of a decline in quality. Simply because people change and get bored. WoW was one of, if not the first game to become "viral". A lot of people tried it because "everyone else" was playing. LoL just about the same. That sort of hype and popularity eventually fades away. For me that doesn't mean the game or genre has died, it's just a natural path for anything that becomes popular.

Also worth mentioning that quite often even though the popularity fades away, it impacts the gaming industry deeply. For instance, even though MMORPGs are far less popular nowadays, many games in other genres learned from them and adapted some of their concepts.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2018-11-16 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh that's why there are no MMO's and MOBA's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    We used to play games that we control workers, building, all combat units at the same time. But thats too hard
    So we play MMO.
    But leveling is too slow, find group is annoying, travelling sucks.
    So we play moba.
    But last hit for 10 minutes is ridiculous
    so we play battle royal games.
    But searching for equipment is dumb and slow.
    So the next big thing will be DIABLO IMMORTAL! Do you guys not have phones!
    You're right. Games have gone from being complex to being instant queue, no story, simple gameplay, nothing to earn but frags and wins, one map, microtransaction riddled, not out of beta, etc. But that's the key to success minimal effort with maximum reward, for both gamers and developers.

Deleted
    I think you'll find MOBAs killed the RTS comp scene, not MMORPGs.

And yes BR games probably are killing MOBAs, and they deserve to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just not convinced by their comparative staying power, kids love BR games sure but they are fickle beasts and will move on pretty rapidly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand BR.

I get that publishers/devs love it, little complexity involved, lots of money.

Also, MMOs are not dead.