Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last Physical game I purchased was Ni No Kuni. So it's not like this is some big announcement that would make me suddenly think an Xbox was worth buying.

Meanwhile people outside of cities still stuck wkth sub 10mbps internet taking several days to download a single game.
    Slow internet needs to be illegal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Meanwhile people outside of cities still stuck wkth sub 10mbps internet taking several days to download a single game.
    The nearest town to where I live is almost 20mins and it only has about 4000 people in it and I can get 300+ where I am you have to live in pretty off the grid places like the middle of Alaska to not have the ability to have 50+ down.

Slow internet needs to be illegal.
    That won't happen until basic internet is made a basic human right
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize you don't own any digital goods you buy right?
    You do realize that has nothing to do with what i originally said right?

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    The nearest town to where I live is almost 20mins and it only has about 4000 people in it and I can get 300+ where I am you have to live in pretty off the grid places like the middle of Alaska to not have the ability to have 50+ down.

That won't happen until basic internet is made a basic human right
    Really, because i live 20 miles away from the capital of wisconsin and the top download speed i can get is 7mbps
    And it should be a human right.

i have a 3mb dsl connection where I live. Im not going to download 100gb+ games.

Doesn't xbox/ps4 double up as a blu-ray player for most people?

Whatever. I never understood why so many people trumpet praises towards Steam but freak out when Sony or Microsoft propose the same distribution methods. They can release their disc-less xbox one alongside all the other xbox one variants. They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. I'm more confused as to why they'd announce this console a year before announcing their next console...
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

15+ Year Old Account
    Really, because i live 20 miles away from the capital of wisconsin and the top download speed i can get is 7mbps
    And it should be a human right.
    It could be a Canada thing we might just have better infrastructure the the states idk.

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    i have a 3mb dsl connection where I live. Im not going to download 100gb+ games.
    Now that is something else where do you live area/region wise.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    It could be a Canada thing we might just have better infrastructure the the states idk.
    It varies widely on country, state and even communal level. It's decided by profit maximization of companies, nation wide politics, local politics down to city planning. You can be closer to a relay station than someone else and still have worse internet because you are connected via another relay that was build previously. This is true for many countires and I think the only one that has consistent broad band coverage is probably south korea. Even canada is afaik not in the top 10 when it comes to average speed, at least last time I checked.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It varies widely on country, state and even communal level. It's decided by profit maximization of companies, nation wide politics, local politics down to city planning. You can be closer to a relay station than someone else and still have worse internet because you are connected via another relay that was build previously. This is true for many countires and I think the only one that has consistent broad band coverage is probably south korea. Even canada is afaik not in the top 10 when it comes to average speed, at least last time I checked.
    It makes sense that a country like south korea would have good coverage I have no dout that as a whole Canada would rank awful because half the provinces people are just spread out too much
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    You do realize that has nothing to do with what i originally said right?
    And you realize in my original post I said they are not wasteful and that you don't own what you buy digitally.

Your reply to that was lol ok.

So if you got something to say make it clear and not some smart ass remark. If this is some kind of "Clean up the world from waste" crap then there is much more waste in the world then a few blu-ray cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    Whatever. I never understood why so many people trumpet praises towards Steam but freak out when Sony or Microsoft propose the same distribution methods. They can release their disc-less xbox one alongside all the other xbox one variants. They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. I'm more confused as to why they'd announce this console a year before announcing their next console...
    I've never been a fan of all digital.

But a core reason why steam gets praised over Microsoft/Sony doing it is because games are on sale all the time including big titles while with MS/Sony it can take ages if at all for some games to go on sale.

Hell for example Knack is on PSN right now for $40 and yet I can get a physical used copy for $10.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

And you realize in my original post I said they are not wasteful and that you don't own what you buy digitally.

Your reply to that was lol ok.

So if you got something to say make it clear and not some smart ass remark. If this is some kind of "Clean up the world from waste" crap then there is much more waste in the world then a few blu-ray cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been a fan of all digital.

But a core reason why steam gets praised over Microsoft/Sony doing it is because games are on sale all the time including big titles while with MS/Sony it can take ages if at all for some games to go on sale.

Hell for example Knack is on PSN right now for $40 and yet I can get a physical used copy for $10.
    But we really don't know what kind of sales they'd offer if they went full digital. It feels like we are resisting change instead of fighting for more change (more frequent sales on top of digital distribution).

I doubt Valve organizes Steam sales out of the kindness of their hearts. There's gotta be profit there.
    -Yarma

But we really don't know what kind of sales they'd offer if they went full digital. It feels like we are resisting change instead of fighting for more change (more frequent sales on top of digital distribution).

I doubt Valve organizes Steam sales out of the kindness of their hearts. There's gotta be profit there.
    Actually we do.

With Steam you have to go against other platforms like GOG,Origin,Humble Bundle and so on. So Steam has lots of competition on the PC platform. While Sony's only competition is themselves. Hell even now Microsoft has to compete with Steam cause of the windows store.

Don't get me wrong PSN does a lot of sales but the scope of their sales is no where near as high as steams.

Also the age old excuse of games costing ____ due to physical releases was debuked with Steam because games are releasing on there at the same price as console.

I personally will go into the all digital age kicking and screaming. I rather have physical media I own and can do whatever I want with over Digital that I don't/can't.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Actually we do.

With Steam you have to go against other platforms like GOG,Origin,Humble Bundle and so on. So Steam has lots of competition on the PC platform. While Sony's only competition is themselves. Hell even now Microsoft has to compete with Steam cause of the windows store.

Don't get me wrong PSN does a lot of sales but the scope of their sales is no where near as high as steams.

Also the age old excuse of games costing ____ due to physical releases was debuked with Steam because games are releasing on there at the same price as console.

I personally will go into the all digital age kicking and screaming. I rather have physical media I own and can do whatever I want with over Digital that I don't/can't.
    The consoles do compete with each other for sales of 3rd party games. The first console to get it right will have a large leg up on the competition and huge community support.

I agree that physical games tend to be better for the consumer. Unfortunately, recent trends suggest the age of digital distribution is inevitable. Even when you are sent a "physical copy" you end up having to download 50 gigs of the game. Look at Fallout 76 and the newest Spyro remake.

The best we can do is fight for features that will make digital games palatable (game sharing, sales, cloud storage) and make peace with our new digital overlords.
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    i bought a ps4 for rdr2 and i also bought god of war. It was almost faster for me to download rdr2 than installing the disc of god of war. So i don't really care. Been discless for years now on pc. Guess it sucks for people with slow internet tho
    yeah thats why i dont use the disc drive too often on xbox. it's no different than ps4. it takes significantly longer than just downloading it. i have a 2 tb cap per month so downloading games is no big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually we do.

nope steam just added a higher margin to make it seem that way. why wouldn't a for profit company just take a bigger cut and consumers don't notice it? one person can make a digital installer for a game. i've done it without help. it takes more people to make the dvd disc and more to copy it and more to get it to the consumer.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2018-11-17 at 10:06 AM.

I agree that physical games tend to be better for the consumer. Unfortunately, recent trends suggest the age of digital distribution is inevitable. Even when you are sent a "physical copy" you end up having to download 50 gigs of the game. Look at Fallout 76 and the newest Spyro remake.
    Very rarely is this the case at all.

God of War only had like a 2GB Update.
    Spider-Man was even less then 1GB.

10GB+ updates are not the norm yet. There is even a ton of AA and Indie physical releases that don't have any updates at all.

The consoles do compete with each other for sales of 3rd party games.
    They do but the platform with the most users normally sees the most sales and the way you get users on your platform is more benefits and exclusives, Sony doesn't complete on the Playstation 4 against any other digital store.

MS does since now its tied to Windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    nope steam just added a higher margin to make it seem that way. why wouldn't a for profit company just take a bigger cut and consumers don't notice it? one person can make a digital installer for a game. i've done it without help. it takes more people to make the dvd disc and more to copy it and more to get it to the consumer.
    Steam takes a 30% cut on all sales, That is the same as PSN and XBL.

Also it costs company's very little to produce physical meda. Stores like Gamestop only make 20% on sales (I know this for a fact since I know a regional and store manger who works at Gamestop) and the rest goes to the publisher. While they do make a overall less in physical media over digital (due to making the disc's and shipping) it isn't as big of a gap as you think.

It only costs company's around 17 cents to make a blu-ray disk and case.

In the case of Sony they actually make money off of every Blu-ray disk made, Including when company's like MS has to make physical media.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-11-17 at 10:25 AM.

Very rarely is this the case at all.

God of War only had like a 2GB Update.
    Spider-Man was even less then 1GB.

10GB+ updates are not the norm yet. There is even a ton of AA and Indie physical releases that don't have any updates at all.

They do but the platform with the most users normally sees the most sales and the way you get users on your platform is more benefits and exclusives, Sony doesn't complete on the Playstation 4 against any other digital store.

MS does since now its tied to Windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Steam takes a 30% cut on all sales, That is the same as PSN and XBL.

Also it costs company's very little to produce physical meda. Stores like Gamestop only make 20% on sales (I know this for a fact since I know a regional and store manger who works at Gamestop) and the rest goes to the publisher. While they do make a overall less in physical media over digital (due to making the disc's and shipping) it isn't as big of a gap as you think.

It only costs company's around 17 cents to make a blu-ray disk and case.

In the case of Sony they actually make money off of every Blu-ray disk made, Including when company's like MS has to make physical media.
    Yet even in your argument you presented steam took 10% more than gamestop.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Yet even in your argument you presented steam took 10% more than gamestop.
    Steam takes 10% more then Gamestop who sales physical media(30% when they sell digital codes). That 10% difference is Sony/MS paying for shipping and the cost to make the physical copies.

When it comes to selling digital goods, PSN and XBL also take 30% the same as steam.

The Profit margin of Farcry 4 is the same on PSN/XBL as it is on Steam.

(Changed the game since FO76 isn't on steam lol)
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-11-17 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Funny enough, I was just in the game room at work, and a person in my office was trying to play a game. They aren't a "gamer" but wanted to try out Gran Tourismo. After watching an unnecessarily long intro, the system errored stating that the disk was damaged and the game cannot be played.
    +1 to digital games.
    And disk cleaning/polishing/resurfacing techniques have been around/known since the PS1 days.