Deleted

What's wrong with giving players options?

Some players are really against any changes, because they want an authentic Classic experience, and I get that.

But what is wrong with just giving players options.

Here are a couple of things where I really think giving players options doesn't do any harm.

Using updated players models, including druid forms

It could be set up in a way where every player can individually choose if he or she wants to use old or new player models, and what druid forms he wants to use, and it's only visible to you. If you choose new player models, you see every player with new player models. If you choose old player models, you see every player with old player models. Completely independent of what other players choose. Some old models just look awful, and especially the druid bear form just looks horrible.

Now giving players the option what they want displayed on their own screen doesn't affect anybody else. I don't see how that would ruin the Classic experience. If you prefer old models, you can always use them. Nobody will force you.

AoE loot

I can not come up with a reason why that would be a bad thing. I've never seen anybody be nostalgic about having to loot every corpse individually. And if you do think it feels better, you can always turn AoE loot off.

Barbershop

I can not imagine how terrible it will feel to level my character to max level only to feel that I'd prefer a different haircut/color/face after all. The barbershop was one of the best additions to the game, and I've never heard anyone say that it killed the game. Many players will feel at some point that they would like to recustomize their characters, and starting over because of a bad haircut, or just having to endure a character appearance you don't like anymore are not good things. The option to have a barbershop, even if it is just an out of game service you can use for free, there is really nothing bad about having the option.

Some people will come out and say "if you don't want everything to be just like in Vanilla, you don't really want Vanilla". But where is the sense in that? Just because I've gotten used to better graphics over the years, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the gameplay of Vanilla. If I don't want to look at the old druid bear model, after we've gotten all these great updated models, that means I don't want to play Vanilla at all? Gnome females look gorgeous on live, but in Vanilla they look terrible. I've never played a female Gnome, until they updated the model.

Some people will say "just play on live if you like the graphics there better", but is this really fair? I wanna play Vanilla, because of the old content. Because of the old zones, the old quests, raiding Molten Core at a level that it is tuned towards, doing the Onyxia questline, doing all the old raids, getting into Naxxramas, seeing all the stuff that has been removed from the game. Experiencing all the classes the way they used to be. I actually enjoy quite a lot of the classes the way they used to be. Wanding on my warlock. The old talent trees. That's the point of Vanilla servers. But giving players options, that don't affect the experience of others in any way, can't possibly be a bad thing. It feels like some people have a cult-like attitude towards Classic servers that throws all logic and reason out of the window.

From what I gathered it’s either or, or neither nor due to how they are re-building classic.

They are trying to stitch the old vanilla system together with the new engine. You can’t have it both with just toggle options.

You have it all wrong with the point of Vanilla. THE difference between Vanilla and live is the need of a community. On live you can get to almost full power on your own but not so in Vanilla. Being a solo player will seriously hamper you.

The quests and raids are just little extras, the community is everything on good and bad.

Having said that, I do agree with you on some points. This rabid chase for some authentic experience that saw people applauding the color of lamp posts at Blizzcon is just plain stupid. Hopefully they will learn what can be imported back from Classic to improve live.

Aoe loot: Very slight qol change, but letting Blizzard have their way with "tweaking it just a little" isn't worth it imho

old models.. I don't care either way

Barbershop is what I disagree with, character creation should be final

Aoe looting can have major implications with the economy. All of a sudden that mage at 60 soloing old dungeons for enchanting mats and cloth is saving 3 to 5 minutes of looting per run.

None of these changes have really a place in classic, since Classic is all about recreating the original experience as much as they can, not about "remastering" vanilla or some shit. If you disagree with this, then Classic simply isn't for you. Not every game should be like you want it.

That being said: updated models n shit is gonna easily tripple the size of the game and it's A LOT of unnecessary work for Blizzard, so this will never happen. AOE loot will never happen, because Classic isn't about adding QOL changes to the gameplay and this change can do more harm to the economy than you might think at first glance. It's also super unbelievable that anyone has rerolled their lvl 60 character, because they thought that another hairstyle option would've been better.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2018-11-14 at 01:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would appreciate AOE looting. If I'm farming something with my usual lag, mobs despawn before I can loot them. Happened during the demo I killed a Pillager and a Looter. Looted one after refreshing mana and hp and the other despawned.
    But I'm not the type to rage about anything minimal like that.
    "Creating a world without Yuno would be meaningless."

My options are rather simple. If the game has sharding, I have better games to play (or keep playing private servers).

Blizzard toyed the idea when fans confronted them, but Blizzard never pushed the implementation away for their "retail" launch.
    Meh.

Paying for a game with sharding is a waste of money. Hopefully Blizzard changes their mind and makes a more definitive statement.

I mean it's either Vanilla or it isn't. Call it Classic, whatever. If it isn't Vanilla, it's not a retro game. It's a remake.

Like Hollywood movies, I skip remakes. I'm sure the actors are great and all, but I have better things to do.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-11-14 at 03:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation

Original thread is -<here>-, why do you decide to bring up this remained because of moderators oversight and abandoned duplicate?
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

If your characters haircut is that important to you buying a couple of Barbie dolls and dressing them up may be the game for you.

Deleted
    I don't think anybody objectively opposes to the idea of having a toolkit like the barbershop. Nobody actually thinks that a barbershop is a bad idea (atleast not the overwhelming majority) - the problem just is that it wasn't in vanilla.

The argument from so-called purists and camp #NoChange is that every new addition to classic - a game with the purpose of bringing back an experience from the past - is a massive slippery slope. ''Oh, we've added x, we might just as well add y while we're at it. Now that we've added y it only seems logical to bring in z aswell.

People probably like the barbershop, like a lot, but would rather live without it than to give Blizzard an invitation to make further changes to a game that is, once again, released almost purely because people want and like the nostalgia trip. I think it's a perfectly understable argument

Quote Originally Posted by Neilas View Post
    I don't think anybody objectively opposes to the idea of having a toolkit like the barbershop. Nobody actually thinks that a barbershop is a bad idea (atleast not the overwhelming majority) - the problem just is that it wasn't in vanilla.

The argument from so-called purists and camp #NoChange is that every new addition to classic - a game with the purpose of bringing back an experience from the past - is a massive slippery slope. ''Oh, we've added x, we might just as well add y while we're at it. Now that we've added y it only seems logical to bring in z aswell.

People probably like the barbershop, like a lot, but would rather live without it than to give Blizzard an invitation to make further changes to a game that is, once again, released almost purely because people want and like the nostalgia trip. I think it's a perfectly understable argument
    slippery slope isn't a valid argument, though, it's a fallacy

adding in barber shop will not lead to LFR and flying mounts and homogenized class balance and cross-realm zones

Updated character models
    If it's client side, meaning an option for you to see updated models... fine, I guess? But it would be strange with modern character models and old items.

AoE Loot
    No, just no. Anything that speeds up or makes "life easier" is part of what's made modern WoW terrible. Things that require more of you, even the annoying little things, is what makes you remember the PATH you walked to get where you are. It's all the annoying things that makes you appreciate the rewards you get, it's what makes your main character something you cherish.

Barbershop
    Again, no. If you're the Male Paladin with ginger bangs then that's your identity, not just to you but to people who see you. I still remember the first time seeing someone with Sulfuras, a Dwarf Warrior with brown braided beard and long hair.
    Again, Vanilla was all about creating and cherishing memories and anything that takes away from that should NOT be an option.

This also, clearly, means paid race change, server transfer and all the other crap shouldn't be available for Classic.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    AoE Loot
    No, just no. Anything that speeds up or makes "life easier" is part of what's made modern WoW terrible. Things that require more of you, even the annoying little things, is what makes you remember the PATH you walked to get where you are. It's all the annoying things that makes you appreciate the rewards you get, it's what makes your main character something you cherish.
    I don't know about you, but I don't think "having to bend down and loot every single corpse in a pile, moving your mouse cursor to the exact correct location to loot a corpse that's on top of another corpse" is what makes Vanilla great. AoE farming lashers in DM East is a pain in the ass because of this.

Literally the only thing it would ever impact is AoE farming, since really, there's no other situation where you'd be killing a whole lot of mobs all on the same spot. So what's all the fuss about? AoE loot is such a tiny QoL feature, yet you're touting it as "HURR IT'S WHAT MAKES RETAIL TERRIBLE!", no, it's not. A plethora of other things are what make retail awful, not AoE looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Again, Vanilla was all about creating and cherishing memories and anything that takes away from that should NOT be an option..
    Being able to change your hairstyle does not stop you from creating and cherishing memories, purist.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    My options are rather simple. If the game has sharding, I have better games to play (or keep playing private servers).

Blizzard toyed the idea when fans confronted them, but Blizzard never pushed the implementation away for their "retail" launch.
    Meh.

Paying for a game with sharding is a waste of money. Hopefully Blizzard changes their mind and makes a more definitive statement.

I mean it's either Vanilla or it isn't. Call it Classic, whatever. If it isn't Vanilla, it's not a retro game. It's a remake.

Like Hollywood movies, I skip remakes. I'm sure the actors are great and all, but I have better things to do.
    >skips blizzard relaunch for shit reasons
    >plays on pirate servers with increased experience rates and guesstimated code

We know you were gonna play on pirate servers anyway, who are you trying to kid? rofl

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this for a couple of reasons:

1. We have a mega-thread for discussion about proposed changes to Classic WoW. That can be found here:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...nge-Discussion

2. Since we have that we don't need to keep alive a thread created by someone evading a ban.

Closed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."