Poll: Do you agree with what this school is doing?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Leftism View Post
    The purpose of a dress code is decency, not making bigoted statements about rich people.
    Actually, in the United Kingdom, dress codes in school exist for uniformity. In the United States they exist for decency.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought this short film from 2009 was absurd but we really are approaching a future like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Everybody, to some extent, probably wishes they had more knowledge about the nature of the world when they were younger. I disagree with the measures taken by this school, because it will hurt these children in the long run by giving them bad information about both the world and about themselves. Whether you come from a poor or wealthy background, I think its worthwhile to know early in life whether you are the type of person who highly values items that grant social prestige and status. If you have this information early on, you will likely make better decisions about career paths and education choices.

What this school is doing, is taking that opportunity away from these kids who might not have the means to buy an expensive coat now, but might be encouraged to work hard and pursue a career that will earn them such items in the future.

Do you think the school is right or wrong in doing this?

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/16/u...ntl/index.html
    I think it should be illegal to share financial ressources with a kid that hasn't earned them. If a parent buys their kids something above a maximal price level, the state should have the right to take the kids away. If we want meritocracy, rich kids shouldn't get the option to play on easy mode, just because their parents or grandparents or great grandparents at some point where productive, allowing them to succed in live while being lazy fucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    The school is whats wrong with todays society. They shelter kids so much that when they get into the real world, they are shocked and appalled that no one cares and no one is going to shelter them. Just today I delivered some food to someones house who had a garage bigger then some rooms in my house. Is my feelings hurt? No. I understand that not everyone gets big, fancy houses or that they want them.

They need to stick to their dress codes, but not have stupid rules that further shelters kids and makes them sorely unprepared for life.
    give this person a gold star.

feels like what George Carlin was warning us about.

#boycottchina

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    I think it should be illegal to share financial ressources with a kid that hasn't earned them. If a parent buys their kids something above a maximal price level, the state should have the right to take the kids away. If we want meritocracy, rich kids shouldn't get the option to play on easy mode, just because their parents or grandparents or great grandparents at some point where productive, allowing them to succed in live while being lazy fucks.
    Someone sounds jelly.

It puts undue pressure on the parents too. I remember one of my older coworkers telling me how she found out her children were being made fun of because the didn't have the expensive brands the other kids had. Her husband was sick, and she ended up being the only income in the family, despite being a house wife for most of her life. So naturally, she wanted to make her kids happy, so she bought expensive clothes for them, kept food on the table, and a roof over the house, and was already working two jobs to do it.

So it isn't always about success or drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    As an American, dress codes seem a bit much, but then someone has to go and ruin it for everyone. In practice, that means eventually we'll work our way to just doing uniforms.
    That's the thing though, here in the UK, primary and high school has a dress code so we're used to that concept. It's like work, though, you'd have a dress code, so why not teach kids about such things, and have them relatively used to it from a young age?

But I can see where you're coming from as you guys pretty much don't have a "real" form of a dress code for school (do correct me if I'm wrong in saying that).
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Someone sounds jelly.
    How do we get the best possible citizens and people, if there is a group that can basicaly succeed playing on easy mode? Look at Trump. That guy is legitimately retarded, he speaks the english language worse than I do and I never even lived in an english speaking country.

This is why we should stop financial transfers inside families. To truly weed out the weak from the strong. If everybody has the same difficulty, only the strongest succeed. Why would you want lower IQ people to get access the the best educational ressources, just because of what is basically tribal communism?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering those coats are pure status symbols when you're not in the damn arctic, I don't really care if they are banned or not. Kids give each other enough shit for not having the "coolest" stuff, bad enough without it being an unnecessary $1000+ coat. Granted the parents should just be doing their best to teach their kids that the families of the other kids are just wasteful idiots and to not want to emulate them. Not that that helps much. Think of all the industries that wouldn't exist if people could bring themselves to not want to emulate wasteful rich people.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonder View Post
    This is just another reason why uniforms are a good idea.
    Sure just include a version of a cheap warm coat for them all to wear so they are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How do the kids getting expensive clothes have anything to do with how they personally value items? They're kids. They didn't earn those clothes themselves for the most part.

And what kind of bullshit stretch is it to somehow connect what choices they make about their career education?
    It's quite simple really, some people by nature of their personality are highly status seeking and materialistic, other people might be the extreme opposite and willing to retire to a hermit cave in Tibet. Its worthwhile to come to terms with your personality type in this regard when you are young. Some people are driven by wanting to acquire wealth and status, and if they know this about themselves early on then they will at least have the opportunity to make that their goal from the start.

If you 'protect' kids from the reality of wealth inequality in the world, you are just delaying the potential for them to make decisions based upon this knowledge. It just seems like people want to deny realities about the world, like you will be treated differently and have different opportunities based upon highly materialistic factors like how much money you have. You don't magically make this reality go away by pretending it doesn't exist, and you don't help kids by painting an unrealistic picture of the world (unless you simply want to brainwash them into being idealists detatched from reality.)
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    give this person a gold star.

feels like what George Carlin was warning us about.

video snipped for space
    I'll see your Carlin and raise you an earlier Carlin - he even mentions uniforms! We've been on this path for awhile.

School uniform summary comes at 4:48, FYI

7+ Year Old Account
    How do we get the best possible citizens and people, if there is a group that can basicaly succeed playing on easy mode? Look at Trump. That guy is legitimately retarded, he speaks the english language worse than I do and I never even lived in an english speaking country.

This is why we should stop financial transfers inside families. To truly weed out the weak from the strong. If everybody has the same difficulty, only the strongest succeed. Why would you want lower IQ people to get access the the best educational ressources, just because of what is basically tribal communism?
    Dude you really need to grow up. You sound like your 14 years old. Like come on "weed out the weak from the strong" and "only the strongest succeed".

Unless you live in the Arctic Circle, you don't need a $1200 Canada Goose jacket. You're going to be way too damn hot. Children especially don't need them, if you're buying your child shit that expensive then you are failing your child.

Canada goose coats are 100% show off coat.... there is tons and tons of coats way more efficient for 10% of their price.

All schools should have a uniform.

Kids can express themselves through clothing when they make their own damn money.

The funny thing about communism is, all the people with power in the party tend to become oligarchs. Ceausescu's son had a private car collection worth something like $7 million. Castro's estate was worth almost a billion dollars. All the party guys in China are now billionaires. Funny how every time there is a move to impose state tyranny, all it does is change *who* the 'elite' are as opposed to abolishing that class. In fact, such changes usually result in fewer people being wealthier, and the vast majority being much much poorer.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Dude you really need to grow up. You sound like your 14 years old. Like come on "weed out the weak from the strong" and "only the strongest succeed".
    Why? I mean, how is it justifiable that some people can succeed easier because they can live life in easy mode not through their own merrit or abilities but through the accomplishments of a family members to which they never contributed anything?

You sound like somebody who leeches of his parents.

How about instead of banning coats you do something about teasing to those that dont have parents sucking dick for coat money?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Why? I mean, how is it justifiable that some people can succeed easier because they can live life in easy mode not through their own merrit or abilities but through the accomplishments of a family members to which they never contributed anything?

You sound like somebody who leeches of his parents.
    And if somebody was born with a genius level IQ, are you going to lobotomize him in order to make things fair? Or perhaps in your ideal world, we would just lobotomize everyone.