Poll: ?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - for three reasons:
    1. It doesn't punish the criminal
    2. It can't be fixed if you get it wrong
    3. Formalised killing by society destroys society - society is punished.
    How does it not punish the criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    How does it not punish the criminal?
    They are dead ... they experience nothing.

Want to punish someone - they need to be around for it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Some people deserve to die. Serial killers, people who murder with intent. Child molesters. War criminals. Certain terrorists.

They are dead ... they experience nothing.

Want to punish someone - they need to be around for it.
    Dying is the punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    do u support the death penalty? if u support it then for what crimes? why not?
    Ofcourse not, it is barbaric.
    Aside from that: the chance of killing innocents is too great.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

criminals are a result of a poor society. any society with criminals in it needs to be exterminated. for the sake of my alien overlords.

wait no i mean for the sake of humans and earth. how do i edit this

Dying is the punishment.
    Not to the criminal... the criminal isn't around.

Punishment doesn't exist if they aren't there.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Not to the criminal... the criminal isn't around.

Punishment doesn't exist if they aren't there.
    Are you high? I'm asking because it's pretty much impossible to make sense of this.

In very extreme circumstances, yes. Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy - people who we know beyond a shadow of a doubt are guilty and have killed multiple innocents in premeditated murder. I think there exists a sane medium somewhere between Texas execution express lanes and Norway's college dorm accommodations for Breivik.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    No. It’s antithetical to the three inalienable rights (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness) as laid out in the Declaration of Independence.
    There's no such thing as "inalienable rights". Human rights are a manmade concept that can also be restricted or taken away if the circumstances are right.

I'm asking because it's pretty much impossible to make sense of this.
    No - it is trivial to make sense of it.

Once you are dead you are not able to experience ANYTHING.
    One of the things you can't experience is PUNISHMENT.

If you get sent to jail for 20 years, you experience 20 years of punishment - then you are released (after the punishment is complete)
    If you get the death penalty, you experience no punishment.

No - it is trivial to make sense of it.

If you get the death penalty, you experience no punishment.
    You can pick one, not both. It's not trivial to make sense of it when you're saying someone dying as their punishment was not punished somehow. I have no idea what kind of convoluted reasoning you use to arrive at this.

You can pick one, not both.
    I pick rationality - death is not a punishment for the criminal. It literally can't be as punishment requires awareness.

Now - it is a punishment for the family, for society, for those that have to carry it out.
    In addition - the imprisonment leading up to the death are a punishment for the criminal.

However - the only bit that isn't a punishment is the death itself. That's just a simple fact.

I pick rationality - death is not a punishment for the criminal. It literally can't be as punishment requires awareness.

Now - it is a punishment for the family, for society, for those that have to carry it out.
    In addition - the imprisonment leading up to the death are a punishment for the criminal.

However - the only bit that isn't a punishment is the death itself. That's just a simple fact.
    Like I said, I have no idea what kind of convoluted reasoning you use to arrive at this. Death is the punishment.

I have no idea what kind of convoluted reasoning
    Nothing convoluted at all, I'm sorry that something so simple is something you can't understand.

How can anything be a punishment if the target isn't aware of it.

If I steal a car and the police just secretly pretend to put me in jail, but never tell me about it ... is that a punishment ?

Even if you believe that there is nothing after death, then the ending of someone's life would be pretty significant punishment.

Look at all the people who commit horrific crimes then try to bargain with the prosecutor that they'll plead guilty if the death penalty is taken off the table.

Nothing convoluted at all
    It's convoluted as fuck.

Deleted
    only if a death note its used

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Even if you believe that there is nothing after death, then the ending of someone's life would be pretty significant punishment.
    Well, we know there is nothing for us after death - and sure the family, society all get punished by the death. But it certainly isn't a punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Look at all the people who commit horrific crimes then try to bargain with the prosecutor that they'll plead guilty if the death penalty is taken off the table.
    Sure - if you tell someone they are going to die in 6 months, they will suffer the same amount for those 6 months whether they die or not after the 6 months.

- - - Updated - - -

It's convoluted as fuck.
    I just put a brick out in the hot sun for 3 months... I hope that brick never drops on my toe again, I'm sure the 3 months of punishment will convince it to behave better

Deleted
    Only when 100% proven guilty by evidence. (Like a videorecording of the actual crime)