Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My daughter is named Jaina. Took some convincing, but my wife finally caved.

She made sure that it was already a name that was used in the world at large, and since it is, she can claim that we didnt namw her after Jaina Proudmoore, but my friends know and that's enough for me.

I've decided that if I ever get a cat, I will name him/her Frostmourne. Just so that whenever the cat is hungry, I can yell out "FROSTMOURNE HUNGERS!".

Plenty of names from WoW would work for kids... Andiun is actually a pretty cool sounding, unique name. Others could include Jaina, Tirion, Valeera, Genn, etc...

I doubt people would go for some of the weirder sounding names like Alexstraza (although it's possible)... but save those for your pets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    My daughter is named Jaina. Took some convincing, but my wife finally caved.

She made sure that it was already a name that was used in the world at large, and since it is, she can claim that we didnt namw her after Jaina Proudmoore, but my friends know and that's enough for me.
    Jaina is also the name of Han and Leia's daughter in the old Expanded Universe... so that's pretty cool too.

Deleted
    A lot depends where do you live. In my place naming a kid Alexstrasza or Tyranastrasz would look normal but we have a lot of sz rz cz in our language :P
    Some of more regular names in WoW for sure are Jaina, Anduin, Calia, Lillian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinraye View Post
    I've decided that if I ever get a cat, I will name him/her Frostmourne. Just so that whenever the cat is hungry, I can yell out "FROSTMOURNE HUNGERS!".

My roommate's cat is named "Onyxia" or "Oni" for short. He got her as a kitten during vanilla, and she's still around. That's about as far as I think it should go, honestly. But I know some people in real life who named one of their kids "Galadriel" so.....I guess naming after Warcraft characters isn't impossible.

Still, I'd feel bad for any kid named after a recognizable WoW character tho. That's gonna be a rough childhood.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-11-19 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senarx View Post
    Naming my kid Anub’arak, going to teach him to bug people.
    I see what you did there! XD

Lots of people curse their children with idiotic names. It's happened since antiquity. The source of the idiotic name doesn't matter one iota.

In high school I knew a girl named Sister Mary Catherine. Sister was her legal first name, though she chose to go by Cat instead despite her fucked up parent's wishes. And hell, in 2016, the name Cadillac was the 13,616th most popular boy name in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Wonder when the First Kid named Mankirk will pop-up.
    Will be annoying finding a wife for him...

Biggest question is, who will marry him?
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like one of those things your children will be intensely thankful for in 50 years. (sarcasm)
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

This has been going on for a while. I know of 2 cases where a celebrity named their child after characters in pop culture/video games. Robin Williams naming his daughter Zelda from "The legend of Zelda" and Nicolas Cage naming his son "Kal-El" which is Superman's Krypton name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I totally see that naming your kids "l'Oquisha" or something is totally different.
    Dude really? I mean I know what you are saying. But how many people are really named after a song, moviestar or bookcharacter (the bible for instance)?
    Yeah... millions. So... I guess due to that, those people are not fit to be parents?
    They are harmless compared to 17th century puritans.

That guy for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Barbon (click on the link to see his full name)

He was the son of this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praise-God_Barebone

Well, here in Portugal , at least a generation or so ago the most common first names were usually soap operas characters so yeah, nothing new here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I told my partner if we had children and it was a girl I wanted to name her Jaina.

I have just lost my right to name my children
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I got a buddy of mine that named his daughter Jaina

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    TBH, what makes a name any better than any other?
    Names are just sounds we make with our mouths and symbols we make with a pen.
    Who's to say "John" is a "valid" name, whereas "Arthas" is not?
    Is it the precedence of it existing already? Because at one point in time, no names existed, so everyone was one of these oddballs, right?
    At another point in time in certain areas of the world, most names ended in an 'es' or 'us', but that's not as common anymore, so would it be wrong to name your kid 'Timotheus' instead of 'Timothy'?

I don't get why people would get mad when someone names their child something of their choosing.
    I say name them as you wish, but with the caveats of:
    - It is not blatantly offensive (like naming a white baby the 'n' word)
    - It is not done so in ridicule or jest (naming your American kid the french word for 'shit', where people wouldn't catch it unless they knew the word)
    - It is not an abstract symbol.... and yes, someone named their child 'hashtag' and I believe it was shot down but someone tried naming their kid the smile emoji... no, not 'smile emoji', but ' '... this garbage has to stop.

Otherwise, if it's a made up name, a name of a popular fictional character (or even not popular but something you like), have at it.
    Name your daughters Jaina, it's been around longer than WoW.
    Name your son Anduin, it's the river that runs through Osgiliath (with difference emphasis).
    You do you as long as it's sensible, unless of course in some language unknown to me Anduin means 'whiny cuck', then ofc don't use that one...

With my wife we joke all the time about naming our future daughter Sylvana. Thats an actual name in Spanish (Silvana).
    But if he is a little man, i'll name Arthas, Arthur, Arturo, Artar? xD

Mm.. better not.

But if i were black, i would name my son BOWMSANDIII!
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Naming your kids after a movie or a game is cringeworthy to the max and shows you're not responsible enough to have kids in the first place.
    I agree. Name your kid John instead. Then he can join the league of Johns. Or maybe Joy, because being named after a feeling is better. Or June, because being called after a month is much better. Or Abraham, because being named after the bible is much better. Names are fucking dumb anyway, why not make it something you actually like, instead of some generic overused shit? "They call me John the 5th, because I am the 5th John in my class."

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I will say is this: If you are going to name your kid after a distinctive WoW character, at least get the spelling right :P

Me and my wife were looking for a name for our daughter and because we got togheter from wow one of the name we came up with was Freya. I dont rly care about what others might say but Freya is a beautiful name and for us represent the time when me and my wife meet back in Wotlk