Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hell, I'd try anything (within reason) twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Well, that, and the amount of antibiotics and shots we put in to the animals we consider pets. That horse lasagna scandal in the UK? It was more about the horses being chock-full of antibiotics and steroids rather than the horses themselves.
    Eat them before they get their shots. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Liver is a superfood. Shit is jam packed with the good stuff.
    It's also cheap if you don't get it from the supermarket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Animals have used the ground as a toilet for far longer than people. Not really an issue, since it typically acts as fertilizer, spreads seeds, etc.
    I had this explained to me by a farmer but for animal excretions to be quality manure they have to be aged first, and I was also told that not all animal excretions are viable manure due to their diet (too much acidity can kill plants). Plants will also absorb anything else thats put into the soil as well, especially a liquid something. So it's not like it's quite exempt from the gross-factor. If the plant grows in something undesireable and absorbs it then that's going to effect the flavor and quality of the grown food.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yep life is gross. Most people wash their veggies.

I mean jellyfish are 95% water compared to humans 60ish%

I don't think humans are basically water when compared to a jellyfish.
    Yeah, I use green peppers instead of a rubber duck when I take a bath, and celery is a pretty good louffa replacement, especially for hard to reach places like my back.

So the other 5% is jell-o? Because I wouldn't mind cherry flavored jellyfish chips.

I don't remember how much water is in the human body off hand but I could have sworn it was more than 60%. Either way if them consisting of mostly water is the only reason needed to eat a jellyfish, then we're mostly water, too.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2018-11-19 at 05:43 PM.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Feel free to eat whatever gross shit you want. I'll start my own farm before I start eating insects or lab-grown garbage.
    What's your beef against cultured meat? (No pun intended)

10+ Year Old Account
    nope and nope. I dont eat fish as it is, no chance I am gonna be eating that either :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I guess if those are your bathing habits then you do you.

Humans aren't basically water tho. Which is what I said jellyfish are. 5% biomass vs 40% in humans. I never said mostly. Because most living things are mostly water.

The other 5% are bacteria and jellyfish cells.
    Yup.

No, I was the one that said mostly. I was making a joke, though, so lol.
    Jellyfish would still have to have enough solidity to actually be digestible.
    I was making a joke more on the idea of callously going "we can eat it because it's water" based off of my earlier comment that I saw one in a pet shop.
    Most people wouldn't eat a dog, either. I honestly don't care about eating a jellyfish either way as I'm in the same boat as others in this thread in that I'm just not bold enough to try it.

I imagine the ethanol would get rid of most/all of the smell, so I'd probably eat them if they are actually reasonably close taste wise. My guess is that once seasoned they'd be pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Feel free to eat whatever gross shit you want. I'll start my own farm before I start eating insects or lab-grown garbage.
    How do you know you don't like it if you don't try it. I can see people being hesitant about GMOs, but half of the fish and other things you eat are the same as the "lab grown" you're claiming. I'd try weird food once. If I like it I'll try it again. I had frog legs once and it wasn't terrible, but the texture was a bit off putting. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it and I wouldn't tell someone they were gross if they liked it. I would try insects because they're a good source of protein and people claim they're good. If they're gross I'll move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Animals have used the ground as a toilet for far longer than people. Not really an issue, since it typically acts as fertilizer, spreads seeds, etc.
    Our poop is typically bad for the soil because of what we eat. Animals typically have a natural diet although some can be bad as well. If anything though, the fertilizers we're using are causing a lot of bad run off into the water systems that are affecting fish and amphibians.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Can't we feed them to pigs instead and eat the bacon chips????

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You've been able to get this and other "exotic" snacks from Asian grocery stores for decades. This is hardly some new discovery that will be the future of snack food.

Have you ever been to Thailand? Walk through the street markets they've hardly changed in 300 years in terms of what snacks you can buy from street food vendors...dried insects, sea animals.

The American world-view of snacks/junk food is limited to Frito-Lay and the like.
    Last edited by rhackin; 2018-11-19 at 06:32 PM.

It depends more on your diet. Carnivore/animals with a meat heavy diet their poop isn't good. Diets based more on legumes/fruits/fungus/vegetation are usually good. It has nothing to do with natural diets. Someone eating a "paleo" diet their poop wouldn't be very good either.
    It'd still be better than someone eating processed food and Mountain Dew all day. It definitely has to do with natural, but you are correct that vegetarian animals produce better for the soil than carnivores.

Fair enough at least you admit your flaws. Pigs are pretty common pets. But plenty of people eat them despite the fact they show about as much if not more intelligence as dogs.

I think the idea was to dehydrate jellyfish and turn them into chips as eating them raw or cooked would be like eating really tough jelly.
    Yeeeeeah, I was hoping for more of a discussion on that, on why some animals are okay to eat while others aren't. Clearly people care about their pets, but then for dogs and cats we don't eat them, while then there's examples like the one you just gave about pigs, and then the topic of this thread where people have zero qualms other than distaste even though jellyfish can be pets. It's all very contradictory and I'm trying to make sense of it. In some contexts it makes more sense than others.

Tough jelly might not be too different than eating beef jerky. It'd just be jerky of the sea.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2018-11-19 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and i thought my country was weird for eating zucchini chips with tzatziki. damn.

what is there to taste in a jellyfish? it's 99.99% water or something. what nutrients?

Put enough mayo or ketchup on it and people will eat just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    and i thought my country was weird for eating zucchini chips with tzatziki. damn.

what is there to taste in a jellyfish? it's 99.99% water or something. what nutrients?
    you have a very very low bar for weird.

Watermelons are basically water and sugar, and people don't seem to have a problem with that.

A jellyfish chip would probably look nothing like a jellyfish, and would probably be sold with a cool brand name, and most people wouldn't even know it's made from jellyfish. And it would taste as whatever it is they season it with.

I don't eat animals but I'd rather people ate animals with simple nervous systems than ones with complex ones. It's not perfect but it's a start. I love jellyfish and would keep one as a pet rather than eat one. Though they are pretty difficult/expensive to keep.
    I do eat animals and I constantly question why. I feel like I'm looking for a middle ground that doesn't exist, even though I agree with you on your point about the nervous system, it feels like a weak reason to continue to eat meat. I'm just not willing to put up with the maintenance and nutrience balancing that comes along with being a vegetarian or a vegan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Watermelons are basically water and sugar, and people don't seem to have a problem with that.

A jellyfish chip would probably look nothing like a jellyfish, and would probably be sold with a cool brand name, and most people wouldn't even know it's made from jellyfish. And it would taste as whatever it is they season it with.
    Watermelon can't feel pain or develop a personality.

Quote Originally Posted by baeboo View Post
    Watermelon can't feel pain or develop a personality.
    Same with Jellyfish.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Same with Jellyfish.
    Jellyfish actually have the capacity over millenia to actually develop those things, though, but they can't if they end up getting eaten into extinction.

I'm willing to give them an honest chance as long as they don't look like jellyfish or taste like jellyfish. Same with insects. Just turn them into some kind of a bland gruel, crackers or patties and spice them up.

Quote Originally Posted by baeboo View Post
    Jellyfish actually have the capacity over millenia to actually develop those things, though, but they can't if they end up getting eaten into extinction.
    So I won't eat an animal now because his 1000th descendant might possibly develop the capacity to start feeling pain. Even though they exist for millions of years and haven't done it so far. And they are endangering the oceans with overpopulation, which is in great part due to our meddling on everything, but I don't want to risk reducing their population because that overpopulation might lead to their extinction, even if apparently 90+% of the people are too disgusted to even consider eating them.

Ok then.