Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    There is no azerite gear so that makes it 10/10 compared to WoW right now. Instead of destroying your class every expansion they just add a new talent tree that changes your playstyle IF YOU CHOOSE IT. There is grind if you look for it but not really required. I only play for the pvp personally. This forum is dead af for the game so you should use reddit and the official forums.

I would really recommend you start with PoF and not HoT. HoT probably rage you into suicide when you're new to the game because it was even tedious for me.

All you need to know imo
    I really like the sound of that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What gear do you have? Because 3-4 skales in that zone should only take a few hits each from a level 80 and pose little to no risk - even in rares.

There is and it's pretty easy, it just depends on your gear and build.

It is, but it requires some basic knowledge of the game and your class. If you were talking about HoT mobs, which are considerably more difficult, I'd be more on board. Those rekt me (and still kinda wreck me) when I was rolling with a completely broken build that made no sense and a hodge-podge of stats that conflicted.

We'd need to know more about your character and how you play to help you figure out what the hurdle is.

Movement is your friend. Even just running around a little bit can cause enemy autoattacks to miss.
    soldier mesmer and berserker elemental, both are down within seconds if theres more than 2 mobs, even fewer mobs in case of forged and branded mobs

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been looking at GW2 and FF14 again lately, since WoW isn't doing much for me. I liked GW2 in beta and played at launch. I leveled an elementalist to 80 and got a full set of gear...forgot the name of it but it was a glass cannon set. The pvp was fun, but dungeons seemed totally chaotic and nonsensical. Then MoP came out like a month after GW2 and I switched back.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the game so I ended up buying it and the 2 expansions for myself and my boyfriend to have for whenever we want to play something online that didn't require an additional monthly subscription. I love the zone scaling it has. If you're max level and head to one of the starter zones you'll be scaled down to that appropriate level for that zone. GW2 is very alt friendly and actually encourages it so you can see the first few series of quests from different sides. Each race has 2 or 3 level series of quests that are specific to your choice made during the character creation. With that in mind, you can make 3 Sylvari mesmers and end up with 3 separate storylines until you're like 40 or 50 if you choose different options during character creation. PvP is pretty fun in the game and fairly balanced too. Dungeons don't have the holy trinity but you will need a healer/support in some of the harder stuff. The nice thing about the game is the mesmer is one of the go-to tanks in the game so if you like tanking that would be perfect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    soldier mesmer and berserker elemental, both are down within seconds if theres more than 2 mobs, even fewer mobs in case of forged and branded mobs
    What builds are you on both of them? What gear quality? You should largely be able to face tank a handful of low level mobs on either, especially with soldier gear on your mesmer (your damage is going to be pretty shit but you should have plenty of survivability).

Really, I don't know what to tell you, because what you're saying just makes no sense to me at all. That's not normal, and it may very well be an issue with how you're playing.

soldiers is horrible for mesmer really. You're wearing a shirt, so avoiding damage is up to your moves more than your armor. If you want a cloth wearing type that has some durability, go Necromancer.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    What builds are you on both of them? What gear quality? You should largely be able to face tank a handful of low level mobs on either, especially with soldier gear on your mesmer (your damage is going to be pretty shit but you should have plenty of survivability).

Really, I don't know what to tell you, because what you're saying just makes no sense to me at all. That's not normal, and it may very well be an issue with how you're playing.
    where do you see what the build is? orange gear, they cant face tank for more than a couple of seconds before theyre down, it also takes like 10-15 sec to kill a single mob, and like 1 minute for veterans, it all kinda feels like doing argus wqs on an 840 geared mage

where do you see what the build is? orange gear, they cant face tank for more than a couple of seconds before theyre down, it also takes like 10-15 sec to kill a single mob, and like 1 minute for veterans, it all kinda feels like doing argus wqs on an 840 geared mage
    What traits are you using? Both the lines and the individual traits. Could very well be a build issue, https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki has a lot of decent builds that you can tweak that are effective depending on what your'e doing. Not sure how updated they are but that's usually where I'll look for some pointers.

As for not being able to facetank low level mobs in exotics (orange) for more than a few seconds...I don't know what to tell you. I've literally never seen that happen, and even my scrubby, gimpy ass mesmer with a mixture of green/yellow/orange gear and a horrible build (both in terms of stats and traits) can face tank stuff in orr for longer than that.

Same goes for length to kill a single mob. That's closer to my mesmers damage at max level in orr (so level 80 mobs), so I'm not sure why it would take you that long on properly geared/built characters. I'll need to jump back on my sorc, but even in her poop gear I was shredding low level mobs with ease and could facetank a few/take on small groups relatively easily.

Because if you have a full set of exotic berserkers gear and a proper trait build with the correct weapons you shouldn't be having any issues.

I remember in Wrath when they tweaked warlocks and killed off most of the tricks I'd used in BC to drain tank and feardot and stuff. So I learned an alternate style. Basically, figured out which dots could be cast facing away from enemies and just ran like a scaredy cat, killing everything as I ran in circles.

Since I was silly enough to make a mesmer my first character in GW2, I dusted off my old "run away" methodology because clones don't fool NPCs! Claw Island was especially harsh in the first days.

But I'd still say give Necromancer a shot first, even Guardian is caster-ish with heavy armor (but small health pool, but big heals, so make sure not to face tank too much). Warriors & Necromancers have the highest health totals, Warriors/Guardians/Revenants have the heavier armor.

Guardian, Elementalist, Thief have smallest health pools, Warriors & necro's on top. Others are in the middle.

Deleted
    What traits are you using? Both the lines and the individual traits. Could very well be a build issue, https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki has a lot of decent builds that you can tweak that are effective depending on what your'e doing. Not sure how updated they are but that's usually where I'll look for some pointers.

As for not being able to facetank low level mobs in exotics (orange) for more than a few seconds...I don't know what to tell you. I've literally never seen that happen, and even my scrubby, gimpy ass mesmer with a mixture of green/yellow/orange gear and a horrible build (both in terms of stats and traits) can face tank stuff in orr for longer than that.

Same goes for length to kill a single mob. That's closer to my mesmers damage at max level in orr (so level 80 mobs), so I'm not sure why it would take you that long on properly geared/built characters. I'll need to jump back on my sorc, but even in her poop gear I was shredding low level mobs with ease and could facetank a few/take on small groups relatively easily.

Because if you have a full set of exotic berserkers gear and a proper trait build with the correct weapons you shouldn't be having any issues.
    something like this

10+ Year Old Account
    what, as someone who just started maining commander chrono for fotms... its easily one of the tankiest of the bunch when played correctly, requires way more management than high sustain classes like necro tho but they are tough as all hell.

My best tip is for you to go chrono, get staff-sword/shield combo for max sustain, staff will create fuckton of clones for you to disengage and make mobs hit them first, you can shatter them as a chrono for alacrity, then go sword shield, sword 2 gives you distortion for a brief period, then shield 4 gives you block TWICE and creates another clone, shield 5 is CC heaven so use it, then you can just shatter clones into distort for around 4 secs of distortion or heck even use the special chrono rewind button with 3 clones, use all your skills during said rewind (pop heal) and poof! back to all your abilities being off cooldown.

Chrono can be tanky as long as you manage it correctly, your capabilites will be good.

https://discretize.eu/builds/mesmer/boon-chronomancer -> High level fractals build for your chrono, i just go with full commander gear because i am lazy for boon sharing. I tend to take inspiration instead of ilussions, brings less shattering power and damage spikes but makes you an absolute unit AND makes you an off-healer.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2018-11-22 at 02:56 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    what, as someone who just started maining commander chrono for fotms... its easily one of the tankiest of the bunch when played correctly, requires way more management than high sustain classes like necro tho but they are tough as all hell.
    One thing with mesmer has always been that I could do plenty of damage, but everything was more work than other classes. A warrior can just run around killing stuff, hell my minion master necro just tags some stuff and the minions kill it. Engineers existed mainly to leave turrets at events! (Though, holosmith is great fun.)

Really the main class that I just can't seem to "figure out" is Scourge. Just not sure how to get the most from the class/abilities, especially compared to the easy fun of Reaper.

something like this
    Hmmm, I'm not super familiar with ele but that seems fine enough. I...don't know what else to tell you then. Maybe look up some elementalist guides for playstyle tips or something, because while ele's are squishy you shouldn't be dying that fast to low level mobs and you should be shredding them down much faster.

Deleted
    Well, since yesterday, it's the only action MMO, which can be considered AAA, left on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing GW2 about a week back, as a long time avid WoW player who's kind of run out of content in WoW at the moment (fixed next week obviously).

My take on it is that coming into it with no real expectations, it's a fun game if you are looking for a casual distraction. A well made game with the usual RPG elements that let's you learn some new stories, see some new views and have some fun figuring out a new combat system.

I obviously haven't done any end game and I have no idea if I ever will, but the basics of the game are really solid, and if you are like me and just looking for something to do and a nice change of pace from WoW, then I can definitely recommend it. I've had a fun week leveling a Mesmer to 30 on my sister's account and am now playing from scratch on my own (new) account. I'll probably continue dabbling with it for a while, late night and on off raid days.

I've played on my sister's full account and on my own still completely free to play account, and you can definitely get a good feel for the game without paying a single cent. You can easily level to 30 without the restrictions on a free to play account being much of a bother, the only thing you will run in to is a slightly limited inventory space, but playing to 10-15 with the basic inventory is no problem at all and if you then smartly invest in a few larger 12 slot bags for the 3 slots you have, then you should easily have enough room to not have to constantly fuss with your inventory. And that just costs you in game gold, which is fairly easy to get in the small amounts you need.

The only personal downside I've seen so far (and this maybe a boon to others) is that the crafting system is sprawling and complex and relatively expensive to level or otherwise VERY grindy. But, you can get around this easily by simply buying on the trading post (AH) what you need, be it gear or whatever.

Overall, I can definitely recommend giving it a free to play try and seeing how you like it.

Deleted
    GW2 is rather hard to get in to, but if you have the ambition to do it and get past the horrendous leveling experience, the game really opens up.
    The thing that did it for me was the very appealing art design and combat mechanics.
    I am not going to delude you - leveling is boring as hell, most of the time you will be running around like headless chicken ticking out PoIs on the various maps. Core Tyria maps are rather uninteresting with no story to be told or drive you onward to complete the map. There are dynamic events, but these are, for the most part, not very interesting activities as they also don't tell a story or have any meaningful or rewarding culmination.

However, if you press on and complete the personal story, then you can begin the living story episodes and expansion content. Expansion maps are very good with lots of things to do and goals to achieve. Especially HoT maps are always very lively, there's always something going on around you and doing stuff starts to feel rewarding at last - you will be gathering mastery points and experience which will progress your character in some very meaningful way, chasing after achievements, doing mini-games and so on. The environment is dangerous and you will die sometimes if you engage several mobs of the wrong kind.
    You will start looking after better gear, and even if you have some exotics, they will look like crap and you will be watching other players with nice shining armor with envy. You will get into the crafting system, which in this game is core part of the game, not like in WoW nowadays.
    Crafting ascended armor will then lead you to the fractals - fun and short 5-man dungeons with ever increasing difficulty.
    The living story itself gives a bit more insight to the maps you will be playing in and at least to some extent satisfy your need of story-driven experience, which is otherwise severely lacking in this game.

And i don't even want to spoil the seasonal events that happen here (like around Halloween or Christmas), but i can tell that they are much more fun and in-depth than most other games around.

Overall a very good game with some core issues. It will not become a main game for many, but can be a great filler game for most MMO players.
    It's cheap to get into, hard to keep your interest in the first 20-30 hours of gameplay, very nice experience after that.

It's a buy to play game, just hop onto it whenever you're bored of the current content. The horizontal progression in that game is just perfect and one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    WoW sucks. Shadow is ruined and likely not getting repaired.
    I thought you did a bunch of pvp? Shadow is really good atm and it looks to be getting better in 8.1?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    I thought you did a bunch of pvp? Shadow is really good atm and it looks to be getting better in 8.1?
    Ya I used to, I haven't competitively PvP'd on my Spriest this expansion. Plus the reason it was good was because in PvP we never use Voidform or any Voidform abilities, we were staying out of Voidform with a Glyph that gave us 20% damage reduction, and a talent that gave us 35% permanent movement speed.

Damage reduction is getting nerfed in 8.1 for Spriest PvP but we'll be able to use Voidform.

Frankly though, Voidform is the worst part of Shadow in BFA, and they should just remove it entirely.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

For the first time I'm actually enjoying Guild Wars 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjh9_iSaXxg