Poll: "Summon plz" or "omw"?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    I say OMW and head there and hope they summon me before I get there.
    Yep. This is what makes sense to me. If I arrive first, I start a summons for one of the others. But the summons won't go out till there are two of us. So unless someone else has same helpful attitude...

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate people who just ask for ''summon pls'' the first thing they do when they join a group. Not a ''Hello'', ''Hey'' or whatever, just a ''sum plz''.

I, personally, head towards the dungeon I'm looking for so I won't need a summon. I also ask ''You guys have summon or do I move my ass?''

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazan Julio View Post
    No. There IS A CLASS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO SPEED THINGS UP. You would be the lazy bastard here. Ohhh noooo I have to click a button to summon.

That is the ultimate form of laziness. If you don't want to summon, don't make a group. This is usually expected. It's called having common courtesy and it takes like 10 seconds to summon someone. Get over yourself.
    You seem to have entirely missed the point being made.

It's not about the actual summoning, but the attitude of the player who automatically expects the summon every time. The fact that they can't even be bothered to type a proper request (eg: Any chance of a summon please) but instead resort to a lazy demand is also a strong indicator of a shitty attitude.

Nobody has an issue with being expedient. People do have an issue with freeloaders who expect others to do all the work for them, without ever bothering to contribute. When you join a group, start moving to the instance. If you're one of the first ones there, summon, or help to summon the rest. As a general rule, you should land up being one of the people doing the summoning around 40% of the time. It's understandable that people who find themselves always having to do the summoning are annoyed at the sort of people who show evidence of being the sort of player who never bother to be the summoner.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-11-21 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    You seem to have entirely missed the point being made.

It's not about the actual summoning, but the attitude of the player who automatically expects the summon every time. The fact that they can't even be bothered to type a proper request (eg: Any chance of a summon please) but instead resort to a lazy demand is also a strong indicator of a shitty attitude.

Nobody has an issue with being expedient. People do have an issue with freeloaders who expect others to do all the work for them, without ever bothering to contribute. When you join a group, start moving to the instance. If you're one of the first ones there, summon, or help to summon the rest. As a general rule, you should land up being one of the people doing the summoning around 40% of the time. It's understandable that people who find themselves always having to do the summoning are annoyed at the sort of people who show evidence of being the sort of player who never bother to be the summoner.
    ^^^^This guy gets it.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody has an issue with being expedient. People do have an issue with freeloaders who expect others to do all the work for them, without ever bothering to contribute. When you join a group, start moving to the instance. If you're one of the first ones there, summon, or help to summon the rest. As a general rule, you should be doing this around 40% of the time. It's understandable that people who find themselves always having to do the summoning are annoyed at the sort of people who show evidence of being the sort of player who never bother to be the summoner.
    Even as someone who does the summoning all the time i don't understand that. Summoning is far from "all the work", players who get summoned aren't "freeloaders", i would say that it's "least the work", because it requires just two clicks anyways. Putting summoning on some sort of glory pedestal is ridiculous, it's a tool to save groups time, and people understand that, and they expect to be summoned because it's kinda funny that 4 other players will just sit and wait for you to get to sethralis from northrend
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2018-11-21 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Even as someone who does the summoning all the time i don't understand that. Summoning is far from "all the work", players who get summoned aren't "freeloaders", i would say that it's "least the work", because it requires just two clicks anyways. Putting summoning on some sort of glory pedestal is ridiculous, it's a tool to save groups time, and people understand that, and they expect to be summoned because it's kinda funny that 4 other players will just sit and wait for you to get to sethralis from northrend
    Simple, don't be in fucking Northrend if you're looking for mythic groups. -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Fundamental rule through the majority of my raiding experience, always make your own way there, when enough there - start summoning.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I sign up at the raid's door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanaheimr View Post
    Simple, don't be in fucking Northrend if you're looking for mythic groups. -_-
    Or, instead of kicking and resuming search you just summon him, laugh at his lack of time management skills and move on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    That's because of the instant gratification generation, nothing more. Sure you of course have the outliers who value others time, etc but the vast majority of people under 30 expect everything to be done for them.

As you can tell, I agree with you that I always would start making my way there, if I happened to get a summons mid-flight, great, but outside of that... yea. It's just the generation. Doesn't help that Blizzard contributed to the entitlement.

I would agree to an extent, its not all people under 30 however. The overwhelming majority are people that did not play pre LFG finder tool. Have no concept of having to find a group in trade chat and then make your own way there manually. So when it comes to mythic 5 mans, they haven't got a clue. I play restro shaman and Prot Warrior, and I do not summon. I make my own way there, when I get there I run inside. If people start spamming "summon please" i vote to kick, if the vote fails, I leave the group. Those that repeatedly ask for summons are usually the same people that pull extra packs, are repeatedly asking how long the dungeon will take, die a lot cos they've aggro'd extras or are standing in stuff they shouldn't, and are usually bottom of the dps meter.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanaheimr View Post
    I hate people who just ask for ''summon pls'' the first thing they do when they join a group. Not a ''Hello'', ''Hey'' or whatever, just a ''sum plz''.
    Towards the end of Legion I was doing a Neltharion's Lair M0 for the weekly bonus event. One of the puggers in the group dc'd half way through the instance. So I used the group finder to find another dps. Being late in the expansion it's not like we actually needed another dps (hell, at that point I could pretty solo the instance myself) but hey, it would speed things up a bit, plus someone would get a nice quick dungeon completed to help with their weekly.

Immediately the guy just says: "summon plz". Nothing else. I look at the map and see that he's sitting in Dalaran. If he'd bothered to pay any attention he'd realise that we're already in the instance and have no warlock so he is going to need to make his own way there. Nevertheless I type "sorry mate, we're already inside the instance, you'll need to get yourself here." I mean it's not exactly hard. 5 minutes later we're nearly finished the instance and again he types "summon plz". He hasn't moved an inch. Just been sitting in Dalaran waiting for a summon. I just said "./facepalm" and kicked the idiot. Because yes, he was an idiot. He'd managed to luck out and join an instance for which he'd basically just have to fight the last boss, yet his laziness meant that he missed that opportunity.

With the group WQ in the last couple exapansions, I don't even click the LFG button until I'm actually standing there in front of the target. In the old days, before the LFG auto-port for dungeons, I remember getting into a few groups that would fall apart before the start because not enough people would go there to summon. It was a bizarre experience, looking at the little dots on the map not moving, every few minutes someone saying "summon?", and then the group breaking up because not more than one person could be bothered to get on a flightpath. So I don't know if it's "generational" in the sense that I can remember people demanding summons since the start, and I don't really try to guess people's age irl. I'll agree, though, that I've always seen it as a bit of a bad omen if people can't even be bothered to get there, and have to be carried to the dungeon. When the first thing they do is do is demand a summon before saying hello or checking if there even is a warlock...well, just hope for the best, I guess.

Typically I've only asked for a summon if I was very far away and knew the group would be waiting for me otherwise and could summon. But usually in that case they will already notice and the first people there just summon automatically, so its usually not even necessary to ask. If enough people get there to summon, typically they'll just start summoning whoever isn't there.

What always bugged me was the people who would start a group, but refuse to even start heading towards the objective until everyone else was there. Just go there, man, your time is not that precious.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So I reply to someone who clearly is just missing the point and go to the effort to explain in simple terms what the issue is, but even after reading that, it's clear that you also don't get it.

Like I said, "It's not about the actual summoning, but the attitude of the player who automatically expects the summon every time."

Saying "summon plz" basically tells the rest of the group that your time is more important than theirs. They can waste their time travelling to the summoning stone so that you can do whatever it is you'd rather be doing than travelling to a summoning stone.

You're not wrong that it would be more expedient for the group to just summon the guy in Northrend, but that is no excuse for said person in Northrend to act like a spoilt, entitled, lazy, rude and inconsiderate little shit.

There is a world of difference between:
    1) hearthstoning, then hopping onto the flight path and (once you're airborne and have nothing else to do) typing "Hey guys, I am flying, but if you could summon that would be great"
    2) "summon plx"

I'm more of a "1" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    My initial impression is formed by two types of people in pugs. Those who join and immediately type "Summon plz" and those who immediately say "omw".
    I don't know if I am outlier or oldskool or just raised in a different time, but immediately asking for summons feels entitled to me. Like, regardless of circumstance, it presents a bad attitude. I *always* say "omw" and start running. If the group is able to summons and sends me one, so much the better.

What do you guys think?
    Am I crazy?
    Old fuddy duddy?
    Is this a generational thing?

<Poll incoming>
    It's not a generational thing. People are just plain freaking lazy. I asked a friend if he'd help me get some achieves I was still missing in Throne of Thunder. Despite having played the expansion he'd forgotten how to get there, so I direct him to the portal to Shrine in Dalaran. Didn't notice he was on a sub-110 character who wouldn't have it. 20 minutes later I'm like "Dude, where are you?" and he's all like "That portal you told me to go to wasn't there so I gave up." I wanted to throttle him.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 33kamous3 View Post
    What always bugged me was the people who would start a group, but refuse to even start heading towards the objective until everyone else was there. Just go there, man, your time is not that precious.
    From personal experience, it can sometimes take quite a while to form a group, especially if you're still looking for a tank and healer. It is annoying to be 3 dps waiting at a summoning stone for 15 minutes until a tank and healer deign to sign up. If it's just a tank, or just a healer then typically you're not going to spend long looking, but if you're missing both tank and healer it can take a while (because tanks and healers looking for groups will go for the group that only needs 1 more)

So I really have no issue with people, in those circumstances, getting on with their other activities until either a tank or healer is found. But once you're sitting at 4, just waiting for that last spot to fill, yeah, people should be heading to the instance. And if the group is full, then there really is no excuse to still be waiting around.

The second I get invited to a grp I just automatically start traveling to the dungeon/raid. Always done that. maybe because I have played since classic and even before the summon stones were in the game :P

I mean its not a big thing to do.. Takes 5-10 mins wherever you are. Not close to how it used to be.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Fundamental rule through the majority of my raiding experience, always make your own way there, when enough there - start summoning.
    In our raiding guild it is very much frowned upon to ask for a summon to the raid. It's not that anyone has an issue with making the odd exception - sometimes real life happens and someone will be running late for raid. The problem is when bad habits start to set in and you land up with the same people rocking up late every week, expecting a summon, and it's the same people who make the effort to get to the raid to be able to summon every week. Eventually that starts to lead to resentment.

From personal experience, it can sometimes take quite a while to form a group, especially if you're still looking for a tank and healer. It is annoying to be 3 dps waiting at a summoning stone for 15 minutes until a tank and healer deign to sign up. If it's just a tank, or just a healer then typically you're not going to spend long looking, but if you're missing both tank and healer it can take a while (because tanks and healers looking for groups will go for the group that only needs 1 more)

So I really have no issue with people, in those circumstances, getting on with their other activities until either a tank or healer is found. But once you're sitting at 4, just waiting for that last spot to fill, yeah, people should be heading to the instance. And if the group is full, then there really is no excuse to still be waiting around.
    Well, yeah obviously, but if you've got a tank and a healer...start heading there.

Well anyways like I said it is to be expected. It doesn't even take that long to run somewhere. This entire post is just funky at this point. I'll let you guys call me crazy while you defend yourselves by lying. It doesn't matter how you get there. But now we have to make a thread about it and say "OH YES I HATE THAT TOO". It's not very mature or professional in anyway whatsoever and the fact that you guys don't get that is what has me baffled.

Negativity to the end. This is so stupid.