Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post How to solo G'huun orbs as a monk, all specs, with or without a warlock gateway.

Figured it would be useful to have the info condensed in one post. I don't run Mythic, so this is relevant to LFR/Normal/Heroic.

I assume you are specced into Chi Torpedo (CT). Other abbreviations used: Flying Serpent Kick (FSK)

You are a Windwalker monk and have access to a warlock gateway:
    You can run any orb.
    Grab orb --> click gateway --> FSK --> CT x2 --> deposit orb.

You are a Windwalker monk and don't have access to a warlock gateway:
    You can run any orb except the 1st one.
    At pull, before the 1st orb is even picked up, run up on the side you're assigned to (FSK --> CT x2 --> spin walk) and place your Transcendence at the deposit slot. If running 2nd orb, walk back to its spawn point, wait until FSK and CT are off CD. If not, just go when it's time and:
    Grab orb --> take 2 steps --> FSK --> CT x2 --> Transcendence --> deposit orb.

You are a Brewmaster or Mistweaver monk and have access to a warlock gateway:
    You can run any orb except 1st one, but it's best if you do the 3rd or 4th (tanking/healing requirements then are low/nonexistent).
    At pull, before the 1st orb is even picked up, run up on the side you're assigned to (CTx2 --> spin walk) and place your Transcendence at the deposit slot. WARNING: Do not use the gateway on this prep run, or its cooldown may not reset in time. Then go to the orb spawn point in time and:
    Grab orb --> click gateway --> CT x2 --> Transcendence --> deposit orb.

You are a Brewmaster or Mistweaver monk and don't have access to a warlock gateway:
    You can't solo orbs. Get someone to help you.

Remember that on <=10 man heroic G'huun the debuff is only 2 minutes, same as on normal.

If you want to practise, LFR is your friend. There is no debuff there.

title is lies, can't solo without warlock gate unless WW.

Deleted
    this really is a clickbait.. i thought you would have found a way to do orbs as brew/mist without warlocks.
    so you cannot solo g'huun as a monk, unless you are a windwalker and only 3rd+ orb

Quote Originally Posted by Katamere View Post
    this really is a clickbait.. i thought you would have found a way to do orbs as brew/mist without warlocks.
    so you cannot solo g'huun as a monk, unless you are a windwalker and only 3rd+ orb
    I can't edit the title, it seems.

There's nothing stopping you from soloing the 2nd orb as a WW without a gateway. At worst you will wait 10s for the 2nd CT to come close to off cooldown.

You can solo the first orb as WW as well. You just lose a few seconds of time. At pull, you immediately clear some of the first tumor, drop your transcendence a ways in on the path. Go back and get the orb, hit transcendence, FSK, CT x2, dunk.

Don't forget void elf's trait. That's another blink. But hey, void elf is alliance, so they're probably peasants, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by villiansv View Post
    You are a Brewmaster or Mistweaver monk and don't have access to a warlock gateway:
    You can't solo orbs. Get someone to help you.
    that's false, of course it does require a warlock portal, but both BrM and MW are capable of solo running and orb, however you need to place a transcendence ghost beforehand, I should know, I'm doing that as both the above mentioned specs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by antico View Post
    that's false, of course it does require a warlock portal, but both BrM and MW are capable of solo running and orb, however you need to place a transcendence ghost beforehand, I should know, I'm doing that as both the above mentioned specs
    WHAT

"don't have access to a warlock gateway" -> that's false -> it does require a warlock portal

The real answer is, if you're not a Windwalker, you should't solo the orb, because it's not worth the risk nor the loss of precious orb timings, when there are plenty of other classes that can comfortably either solo it or duo it.

So the title says...solo in all specs. Then it explicitly says one of the specs can't solo. What on earth is going on these days

Quote Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
    The real answer is, if you're not a Windwalker, you should't solo the orb, because it's not worth the risk nor the loss of precious orb timings, when there are plenty of other classes that can comfortably either solo it or duo it.
    what "plenty of other classes" You mean dh's and warrior and nothing else, right? And one of those has to use a dps cooldown while the other is not nearly as easy or consistant as ours as mistweaver or brewmaster. There is no reason to not put those two monk specs over dh's or warriors on the 3rd, 4th and even 5th orb without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    So the title says...solo in all specs. Then it explicitly says one of the specs can't solo. What on earth is going on these days
    Solo pretty much means with warlock gate, just windwalkers are(as far as I'm aware) the only spec able to do it even without one. It's a fine guide for it and it's something more monks should know about, I don't really bother pugging g'huun anymore but when I did it was kinda sad seeing mistweavers not wanting to do it so warriors had to and ended up failing.

The more important thing to remember is, there are very few reasons to try and solo run. Just send two people at a time so there is no risk of coming up short. The dps loss is negligible considering the big damage window is during the beam. Safer and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    what "plenty of other classes" You mean dh's and warrior and nothing else, right? And one of those has to use a dps cooldown while the other is not nearly as easy or consistant as ours as mistweaver or brewmaster. There is no reason to not put those two monk specs over dh's or warriors on the 3rd, 4th and even 5th orb without issues.
    Let me put this into another perspective. The timings are tight. A second too late and you're stuck. And it's easy to lose a second. Misclick on transcendence, warlock gateway a bit too close, too far.

It's one thing to have 50-100 G'huun attempts under your belt as a windwalker, and then adapt that experience to MW, BRM or any other class.
    It's a completely different experience to "ok, let try and solo it" a few times and then claim "yeah I can solo it as MW now". Every time you fail, you risk the team disbanding if a pug, losing precious time if progressing, and definitely make your team 20k lighter on gold if you all prepot.

As prwraith said, why bother soloing it, when you can just super-easily duo it.

And this is coming from an experienced Windwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
    Let me put this into another perspective. The timings are tight. A second too late and you're stuck. And it's easy to lose a second. Misclick on transcendence, warlock gateway a bit too close, too far.

It's one thing to have 50-100 G'huun attempts under your belt as a windwalker, and then adapt that experience to MW, BRM or any other class.
    It's a completely different experience to "ok, let try and solo it" a few times and then claim "yeah I can solo it as MW now". Every time you fail, you risk the team disbanding if a pug, losing precious time if progressing, and definitely make your team 20k lighter on gold if you all prepot.

As prwraith said, why bother soloing it, when you can just super-easily duo it.

And this is coming from an experienced Windwalker.
    Hate to say it but you may just be a terrible monk if you struggle with soloing with gate as a monk of any spec, it's literally the most safe of any of the classes to do it. You click portal, double torpedo and use your teleport, I don't see how you can possible fuck it up more than once at most while learning it, compared to warrior's and dh's who have leaps and charges that they must not fuck up. Demon hunter is not too bad but warrior is definitely significantly harder than monk.

You literally can't fuck up unless you somehow use torpedo in the wrong direction, you have so much time that you can easily take time after gate to make sure you are facing the right way. The timings are not tight at all. Also warlock gates being poorly positioned willl hurt other classes way more than us as they have a lot less leeway. At least in my time pugging g'huun of which i've done quite a lot on several characters I've seen countless warriors, dozens of demon hunters and just a handful of monk at most that fail the solo.

what "plenty of other classes" You mean dh's and warrior and nothing else, right? And one of those has to use a dps cooldown
    DK and Warlock can solo

And a DH does not need to use their dps cooldown.
    Last edited by Emerald Archer; 2018-11-21 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    DK and Warlock can solo

And a DH does not need to use their dps cooldown.
    They can do that in a non gimmicky way or? Got a video or something, would like to see the other solo's. I've seen arcane mage but that was a gimmicky thing where he spent forever clearing the path.

They can do that in a non gimmicky way or? Got a video or something, would like to see the other solo's. I've seen arcane mage but that was a gimmicky thing where he spent forever clearing the path.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedNurturingPancakeTheThing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzIkxhGezsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqd...ature=youtu.be

I wouldn't call any of these gimmicky, having to do 5seconds of work on the cysts by yourself without other peoples help before going is 100% fine and can be done before an orb even spawns. I think I know the arcane mage you're referring to, seen 2 videos, one where he spent like 30 seconds clearing, and another where he had 2 people help him clear, I wouldn't count either as a real solo.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedNurturingPancakeTheThing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzIkxhGezsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqd...ature=youtu.be

I wouldn't call any of these gimmicky, having to do 5seconds of work on the cysts by yourself without other peoples help before going is 100% fine and can be done before an orb even spawns. I think I know the arcane mage you're referring to, seen 2 videos, one where he spent like 30 seconds clearing, and another where he had 2 people help him clear, I wouldn't count either as a real solo.
    Pretty cool, not super gimmicky yeah but definitely not pug material or better than just having a mistweaver do it far easier, which was the argument the other guy was making as you're not gonna see pugs doing any of those things, especially with most of them requiring the gate to the hand in rather than from the start. There is a reason why you very rarely see anything but dh, monk and warrior used in pugs.

Pretty cool, not super gimmicky yeah but definitely not pug material or better than just having a mistweaver do it far easier, which was the argument the other guy was making as you're not gonna see pugs doing any of those things, especially with most of them requiring the gate to the hand in rather than from the start. There is a reason why you very rarely see anything but dh, monk and warrior used in pugs.
    Oh yeah, as for the whole brm and mw doing the orb thing, you're 100% right that it's extremely easy, no idea why people are trying to say it isn't. It's one of the easiest.

I do think DK is also very easy, but it's just not commonly known, when you think "Hey which specs are fast enough to solo the orb" You don't tend to go, fast? oh dk dk!

Oh yeah, as for the whole brm and mw doing the orb thing, you're 100% right that it's extremely easy, no idea why people are trying to say it isn't. It's one of the easiest.

I do think DK is also very easy, but it's just not commonly known, when you think "Hey which specs are fast enough to solo the orb" You don't tend to go, fast? oh dk dk!
    Can the dk one be done with the first rather than the second gate? As you're not going to have the second one in pugs.