Thread: western movies

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

western movies

with the launch of red dead redemption 2 i crave to watch some quality western films. what im mostly looking for is lots of juicy gun fights.
    django was just great. clint eastwood trilogy for example was dissapointing, especially 'the good, the bad, and the ugly. ive also seen rly boring classic 'high noon' from 1952.

what else can u recommend?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Wild Bunch
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Rio Bravo
    Tombstone
    The Magnificent Seven
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Tombstone for sure
    3:10 to Yuma is a pretty good one as well
    The Quick and the Dead (With Sharon Stone) is a little campy and seems weak but it's an entertaining watch in it's own right.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

Young Guns 1 and 2
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Unforgiven

True Grit
    Bone Tomahawk
    The Burrowers
    Dances with Wolves
    Cowboys vs Aliens
    The Lone Ranger
    The Hateful 8
    Django Unchained
    Shane
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Paint your Wagon
    Ravenous
    Jonah Hex
    Wind River.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was definitely not boring. But I will admit, it took about 2, or 3 watches for me to get into it.

There was also a movie called The Proposition I saw a while back. It might not have a lot of gun fights that you want, but the story, imo, made it a good watch.
    Last edited by static28; 2018-11-23 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    with the launch of red dead redemption 2 i crave to watch some quality western films. what im mostly looking for is lots of juicy gun fights.
    django was just great. clint eastwood trilogy for example was dissapointing, especially 'the good, the bad, and the ugly. ive also seen rly boring classic 'high noon' from 1952.

you're weird :P

I'd give a try to true grit (both versions)
    the searchers
    butch cassidy and the sundance kid

and if you liked django, then you'll probably like the hateful eight too

If you want more modern westerns, Hell or High Water and No Country for Old Men.

True Grit (the remake)
    The Salvation (Mads Mikkelsen)
    3:10 to Yuma (Russel Crowe, Christian Bale one)
    The Hateful Eight
    Bone Tomahawk
    Appaloosa
    Hell or High Water isn't an old western, but it has the cowboys and the shootouts, and is one of my all-time favourite movies.

And I highly recommend the limited series "Godless" on Netflix!! Jeff Daniels is just plain brilliant as the villain, it has everything a Western should have!

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    If you want more modern westerns, Hell or High Water and No Country for Old Men.
    does NCfOM even count?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well its hard to know what to recommend when you don't like things that are good, though I'm not a fan of High Noon either.

Tombstone seems the safest bet.
    /s

Watch the tv show, Hell on Wheels. The main character will remind you of John Marston a lot.

Watch the tv show, Hell on Wheels. The main character will remind you of John Marston a lot.
    I liked Hell on Wheels. And Longmire. Which was more a modern crime procedural, but the settings were similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Great Silence
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    High Plains Drifter
    Compañeros
    The Mercenary
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2018-11-23 at 01:16 AM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Good, the Bad, the Ugly, Unforgiven, True Grit(Coen Bros), Magnificent Seven(1960), Tombstone, Outlaw Josey Wales, Rio Bravo, Once Upon a Time in the West, High Plains Drifter, 310 to Yuma(new) . Not a movie but Deadwood is worth a watch

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post

If you don't like those movies, maybe you should stick with movies like transformers...

- - - Updated - - -

This guy doesn't like to think during his movies and he might have to actually think while watching "No Country for Old Men".

10+ Year Old Account
    Netflix just added a new western movie that I noticed, I had the same feeling as you after RDR2 so I had some cravings of my own, it's called The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, worth to check out imho, if for nothing else, a nice little timesink (:

I'd add Open Range to the list.