Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    We'll have dynamic spawn rates, herbing will be fine.
    Source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Vanilla had some creative outside-the-box playstyles that Blizzard would stomp on and extinguish (when they could have instead been turned into official variations or new genres). One of the more interesting ones was a solo PvE mode where Blizzard would open new realms once per month that were blocked from transfers, and then players would flock there as soon as it opened to race each other to level 60. That had some popularity and Blizzard could have looked at that and incorporated it into the game in a more official way, maybe used it to expand on the leveling game. Instead Blizz just killed it.
    How exactly did blizzard kill it? I mean, there is literally nothing stopping you from starting up a new character on a new server and "racing to insert level here" if you want. Like, seriously, are you honestly calling "creating a new character" an innovative new playstyle that blizzard ruthlessly crushed? 0.o

Alt mage. Enjoy aoe'ing DM and BRD and join the rest of us economy killers. Apparently #NoChanges so unlikely it will be removed (it should be).

Quote Originally Posted by Thomgan View Post
    I was a paladin in Vanilla. I ran Strat Scarlet (living) a lot and ninja'ed a lot of arcane crystals. At least 1 drop each run. They sold for 50g each. I also had mining and sold the ore.
    You sure you aren't thinking about Crusader Orbs? Arcane Crystals were the rare drops from the High End mining nodes if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    You sure you aren't thinking about Crusader Orbs? Arcane Crystals were the rare drops from the High End mining nodes if I remember right.
    Or even Righteous Orbs

When I got bored I'd get a load of DE mats and sit in a starter area enchanting white items with +Stamina or +Str/Agi and hand them out to newbies with a bag or two. Fun getting to meet new players on the server and you never know when or how you'll bump into them again

But mostly I'd PvP so I guess I'm drawing on a shallow well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Any kind of "60 race" is not a test of knowledge or skill, but instead a test of who can poosock and pull all nighters more than anyone else.

That's why they "killed it". There's no skill involved, just a test of who can no-life the hardest.

Oh, and because Hunter completely blows every other class out of the water in terms of leveling speed.
    The correct way to look at it is to say "hey, people like leveling as endgame. leveling, PvP, and PvE are tentpoles of an MMO. Maybe we should take a lesson from the level 60 races in vanilla and build some sort of legitimate endgame around it that is not simply pulling all-nighters".

Your way of looking at it just kills innovation and the potential for new genres of games.

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly did blizzard kill it? I mean, there is literally nothing stopping you from starting up a new character on a new server and "racing to insert level here" if you want. Like, seriously, are you honestly calling "creating a new character" an innovative new playstyle that blizzard ruthlessly crushed? 0.o
    They stopped the practice of releasing new servers. Players weren't interested in races on already established servers. So it just died. They took away the mechanic that facilitated this new budding playstyle and it was destroyed. The fact they did this just shows Blizzard had no interest in innovation or development of new ideas. I would look at something like that and at the very least would want to explore it and see if I could turn this interesting new passion into a game in its own right if I was a coder at Blizzard. But to just kill it tells me a lot about them.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-11-22 at 04:28 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

They stopped the practice of releasing new servers. Players weren't interested in races on already established servers. So it just died. They took away the mechanic that facilitated this new budding playstyle and it was destroyed. The fact they did this just shows Blizzard had no interest in innovation or development of new ideas. I would look at something like that and at the very least would want to explore it and see if I could turn this interesting new passion into a game in its own right if I was a coder at Blizzard. But to just kill it tells me a lot about them.
    Except that it ISN'T and never was a "budding new playstyle" any more than Compedative Twinking was a valid playstyle to attempt to build a game system around. The number of people who do those things is so utterly miniscule compared to the playerbase that actually plays the game "normally" that it would be a colossal waste of resources to attempt to devote anything more than a passing thought to developing an entire game system in the game just for them.

Blizzard did not create new servers just so people could race to level cap on them. Blizzard created new servers to keep up with population demand and to facilitate balancing the factions. The very idea that Blizzard would constantly keep creating new servers just so the absolutely miniscule portion of the playerbase that actively enjoys racing to max level on a fresh server would have new servers to race to max level on is pants on head lunacy. Not to mention, as I already pointed out, that there is literally nothing stopping you from just rolling a new toon on any new server and maybe playing under a few self imposed restrictions that would allow you to re-capture 99% of that "leveling on a fresh server feel".

I mean, at the absolute best, you could maybe expect Blizzard to create a "Season" server something like they do with the "Seasons" in Diablo, where they wipe the server every 2 months and everybody re-starts fresh, but I am almost 100% sure that Blizzard has the data to know that there likely is simply not enough demand for something like that to justify devoting a server to it.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    I have a bit of a dilemma.

I like healing but when i mained a Holy Pally in TBC i couldn't stand questing / solo PVE farm in that spec, and there where quite a bit of it with dailies and rep farm and what not. And respeccing was really expensive.
    So i was left either poor or unhappy

Did you have to do any of that on lvl 60 in Vanilla? or was it only (mostly) PVE dungeons/raids - PVP?

All i've been thinking about when chosing main is to have the ability to solo PVE while also perform good in a group/pvp in the same spec - but perhaps i'm thinking about this the wrong way cuz of TBC stuff? ^^

Classes that can solo farm at 60 in lvl 45+ dungeons are mages and hunters, rest is a no no.

But as holy paladin, well yeah hm not that easy
    When you get tier 2 however, you can grind shitton of everything everywhere...

Or you can get some ret gear, weapon and easily farm random shit in the world.
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladane View Post
    If you're intending on raiding then flasks, pots etc all become serious costs to you, so you'll need to be spending pretty much most of your non-raid time solo on either grinding the money or mats for these, or, if you're in a good guild, grinding gold/mats for the guild itself. Plus solo grinding your reps of course.

Some progression guilds would expect you to not only be fully flasked, potting etc. but also make a contribution to the repair funds etc. In vanilla the choice at progression guilds was to spend around 8 hours a week farming these, or just spend 10 bucks and buy the gold. However this was before the days of guilds selling services for in-game gold, and in an environment where guilds can do that, as soon as a 40 man guild has Molten Core on Farm I would expect that they'll quickly switch to selling 3-5 places to fund further guild progression.

Yeti Cave just south of Winterspring. Leather from skinning, and runecloth drops, coins and the occasional item.

(Many Yetis died to bring you this wisdom.)
    since with 1.12 talents and changes you can do MC with under 30 people guilds are going to a make a veritable killing selling runs to 10-15 shlubs at a time. its gonna be nice

- - - Updated - - -

Any kind of "60 race" is not a test of knowledge or skill, but instead a test of who can poosock and pull all nighters more than anyone else.

That's why they "killed it". There's no skill involved, just a test of who can no-life the hardest.

Oh, and because Hunter completely blows every other class out of the water in terms of leveling speed.
    except mages

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla had some creative outside-the-box playstyles that Blizzard would stomp on and extinguish (when they could have instead been turned into official variations or new genres). One of the more interesting ones was a solo PvE mode where Blizzard would open new realms once per month that were blocked from transfers, and then players would flock there as soon as it opened to race each other to level 60. That had some popularity and Blizzard could have looked at that and incorporated it into the game in a more official way, maybe used it to expand on the leveling game. Instead Blizz just killed it.
    there were no server transfers in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    except mages
    Mages don't come anywhere near Hunters, since you have to sit and drink every 2-3 mobs. Hunter has 0 downtime. And permanent +30% movespeed starting at level 20.

- - - Updated - - -

Your way of looking at it just kills innovation and the potential for new genres of games.
    Just because you have an idea does not mean it is a good idea.

I mean.....competitive LEVELING? Seriously lol?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mages don't come anywhere near Hunters, since you have to sit and drink every 2-3 mobs. Hunter has 0 downtime. And permanent +30% movespeed starting at level 20.
    well tell that to mages that can pull 15+mobs at once and kill them all, drink for 15 seconds and do it again, your run speed cant compete with that. Also mages can do DM jump runs solo and clear out the non elite plants and make hundreds of gold per hour.

well tell that to mages that can pull 15+mobs at once and kill them all, drink for 15 seconds and do it again, your run speed cant compete with that.
    Tell that to every single private server opened in the past forever, where the first level 60 was always a hunter.

/shrug

also good luck AoE grinding on a populated server where there's 10 other mages also trying to AoE grind at every single spot, lol

Also mages can do DM jump runs solo and clear out the non elite plants and make hundreds of gold per hour.
    That has nothing to do with leveling. And lol, no, it does not make "hundreds" of gold per hour, 5 lasher clears gets you about 10g worth of vendorable greys and another 10g of greens/lockboxes/herbs.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to every single private server opened in the past forever, where the first level 60 was always a hunter.

/shrug

also good luck AoE grinding on a populated server where there's 10 other mages also trying to AoE grind at every single spot, lol

That has nothing to do with leveling. And lol, no, it does not make "hundreds" of gold per hour, 5 lasher clears gets you about 10g worth of vendorable greys and another 10g of greens/lockboxes/herbs.
    so thats 10 x 5 and 10 x 5 .... which you can easily do in under an hour ... so hundreds. and thats great maybe at the start of a server a hunter can pull ahead but eventually once less people are out and about the mage will do it faster

so thats 10 x 5 and 10 x 5 .... which you can easily do in under an hour ... so hundreds.
    5 lasher clears = 5 resets of the instance

in 5 resets of the instance (hourly limit) you get ~20g on average.

read before replying

and thats great maybe at the start of a server a hunter can pull ahead but eventually once less people are out and about the mage will do it faster
    Except no, because the world record for leveling speed is still held by a hunter.

Not sure why you're so dead set on trying to argue this despite being clearly ignorant to the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Consider Hunter. You can kite a lot of stuff as a hunter with Concussive Shot, Wingclip, traps etc. Keep everything at a distance while you peal off their health.

I solo'd a lot of stuff back then on my hunter, like the rares/elites and stuff. Once you get the hang of kiting and the hunter toolkit you can do quite amazing things. I never played a mage but I guess the same goes for them with all the slows, blink etc.
    I did this too and it was really fun.

OP, I can't remember what patch they added the lose agro over zone change but if you were horde you used to be able to go up into the end game green dragon event area in Ashenvale, start kiting one of the level 60 elite dragons that patroled the area with rank 1 arcane shot down to the crossroads then spam a macro saying its a rare dragon spawn and to kill it for epics. All the noobs would attack it so you feign death and let it kill everyone before picking its agro back up with arcane shot again and kiting it somewhere else.

Later in the game they did add a patch where if you kited something across a zone line you lost agro so you could not pull them into the barrens anymore but its main reason was to stop people kiting lord kazzak to stormwind and crashing servers and stuff. Also, i'm not sure how many people in classic would fall for it.

In my guild we had four or five hunters who tried to solo as many bosses in the 5 man instances as possible too. Its pretty hard, takes a bunch of time and effort but we had our own little in game leader board of who managed to do the most and stuff.

I'd only love to know if solo tribute runs as hunter will be possible. Was way more fun than boring mauradon or dm plants farm. Also yielded more gold.

Considering it only worked on one specific patch state, i doubt it will make it to live .

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    5 lasher clears = 5 resets of the instance

in 5 resets of the instance (hourly limit) you get ~20g on average.

read before replying

Except no, because the world record for leveling speed is still held by a hunter.

Not sure why you're so dead set on trying to argue this despite being clearly ignorant to the facts.
    world records are not indicative of the general populace and there is more to kill than 5 lashers and now youre changing the metric from selling greys and whites AND getting greens to just selling greys and whites.

The best grind spot in vanilla was Tyrs Hand. But it was only viable if it wasn’t too crowded. I think some soloes some of the SM dungeons as well.

I found that herb gathering and selling enchants was more efficient gathering gold as a healer than anything above.
    Last edited by babyback; 2018-11-23 at 07:20 PM.

world records are not indicative of the general populace
    You're claiming that mages can level faster than hunters.

The world record for leveling says otherwise.
    The first 60 on each new private server says otherwise.

and there is more to kill than 5 lashers
    "lasher clear" = clearing all the lashers

are you trolling or are you ESL or are you seriously this dense

youre changing the metric from selling greys and whites AND getting greens to just selling greys and whites.
    I never said that.

Except that it ISN'T and never was a "budding new playstyle" any more than Compedative Twinking was a valid playstyle to attempt to build a game system around. The number of people who do those things is so utterly miniscule compared to the playerbase that actually plays the game "normally" that it would be a colossal waste of resources to attempt to devote anything more than a passing thought to developing an entire game system in the game just for them.
    you could have made that argument about dota on the war3 engine. I could see todays blizzard shutting down early dota maps because it wasnt the approved playstyle.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.