Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dropped out of school for a game before esports were ever viable... Majored in liberal arts. Yep. Sums up two things, how dumb people are, and how easy and useless a liberal arts degree is.

Didn't drop out. Played more games than I should've ( Raided in a top 3 world guild for a few tiers during college ), majored in Computer Science. Still play too many games, but I got a good job so yolo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I studied Poli Sci for my BA and I bet I make a lot more money than most STEM degree-holders out there. I know plenty of school mates who do very well for themselves, and have a few STEM school mates who either haven't done well for themselves, or are miserable and resentful of their choice.

But it's easier to stick to a pre-written script, right?
    poli sci isnt liberal arts. It's poli sci.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    And I know plumbers who I bet make a lot more money than you do.

So?

It's anecdotal evidence.
    Plumbing is a very safe profession just like a mortician, people are always dying to see you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Plumbing is a very safe profession just like a mortician, people are always dying to see you.
    Honestly, plumber, electrician, sewage - you could easily get a job.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Ba dum tss!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    poli sci isnt liberal arts.
    Yes it is. Social sciences like political science, sociology, economics, anthropology fall under liberal arts along with humanities (literature, history, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Honestly, plumber, electrician, sewage - you could easily get a job.
    Yeah I’d be shocked if you couldn’t though the work can get shitty at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a HS diploma, a plumbing license, and a Class 1 locomotive engineer's license.

College degrees are overrated...except for the medical field because that's what my wife does.

Oh and trade jobs aren't economy proof despite all the people in this thread claiming otherwise. You end up in something similar to 2008 where people can't afford to buy homes and your work load drops significantly. That time is coming around again...
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I’d be shocked if you couldn’t though the work can get shitty at times.
    Well, can be a drag but I've seen some pull in better bills than a doctor.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I think you were a small minority that did such a thing. Not sure where you got this bullshit notion that "many" people did this.
    I think you should learn English.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that just reinforces his point.
    No it doesn't if you understand my point.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I am still in school...
    Just started in a film school 3 months ago.

Did you not understand something I said? If so, then I think the problem is on your end.
    I think you were a small minority that did such a thing. Not sure where you got this bullshit notion that "many" people did this.
    You can be in the minority and still be one too "many." I think the problem is your brain cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Well I am still in school...
    Just started in a film school 3 months ago.
    Get ready for the Cult of STEM to tell you, in boring, faux-autistic detail, how worthless your choice is.

Also, I wanted to do film school. Good on you for going.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    I make better money in IT than several of my coworkers with better degrees. I have a 2-year degree, but, I have a ton of experience in the field back into the late 80s. I'm able to troubleshoot and diagnose issues that my 'more educated' coworkers give up on. Also, since I work for a regional bank, I help out the financial side as well, especially when there may be shenanigans suspected.

How do you define a degree in troubleshooting and seeing patterns? Current IT training doesn't really do it. I don't really know how to teach someone else how to do it, either. I just see things others don't and I have an employer who understands the value of that.
    That was sort of my point, the degree in and of itself doesn't guarantee anything, it's the person with the degree that makes it work. Plenty of people with no degrees, or with liberal arts degrees, or technical degrees do very well, but the Cult of STEM drones will always be out mumbling about how worthless everything else is.

Traditional education. I did what the man said and life's alright.

Electronics engineering, I specialize in power electronics.

Probably the best decision I ever made.

Decent primary school.

Massive mental health problems just before college which made secondary school difficult academically and socially, parents told me to knuckle down on school work to distract myself and better my adult life. Did really well in secondary school and college with pretty significant help.

Did well in University which was equally as socially challenging due to mental health issues, didn't have much academic issues though. Passed my degree with a fantastic score. Degree was in Finance and Economics, currently work in a job related to my degree and it's pretty high paying.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2018-11-23 at 07:59 PM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I studied IT in Uni for 3 years but never graduated.

Wasn't worth all the hassle when on my chosen field people don't really give a fuck about your education but rather what you can actually do and what you've already done.
    Like, I liked doing things and learning new stuff, but hated writing reports and shit about every little thing. Also writing my thesis would've been a form of torture, most likely.

+ I realized coding wasn't really my thing, even though I could've specialized more in multimedia stuff, which kinda works with my current skill-set and I did actually learn a lot in that regard.

Some might say I was dumb for not graduating, but I don't really think the 3 years I spent there were a waste, since I did actually learn a lot even though I don't have a piece of paper to prove it.

I went to street School, that's why I'm street smart

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Shit basically.

In a nut shell. My old school had a system of set 1 2 - 3 4. One being the best, 4 being the worst. Subjects were also related to one and another. So English to Welsh and Science to Maths.

If you were pulled down in maths then they pulled you down in Science. Same with Welsh to english and vis versa.
    Ah yes, the set system.
    A similar experience to myself but the opposite. I was great at Maths, but sucked hard at Science.

I couldn't stand Chemistry and Biology, and while I found Physics enjoyable and was OK at it, as my GCSE was a triple award, the Physics only counted towards roughly 33%.

My science dragged me down to set 3 (we had 5 sets in our school) Maths but luckily was offered the intermediate paper for GCSE.

It's an awful system. I feel sorry for some of my mates who were in the 'worst' set because they had no chance of improving due to set one being the class with all the thugs in.

---

I went to college and did Music for some fucking dumb ass reason (I thought it was a good choice at the time).
    Went to Uni and did Music. Dropped out after half a year after absolutely hating it. Haven't touched an instrument for nearly 3 years now.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2018-11-23 at 09:53 PM.