Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Dogs are cute and fun, but i'm not a fan of picking up steaming hot shit. As well, I love cats, but don't want to smell their litter box.

I choose rabbits. Less smelly, super easy to clean up after, live as long as a cat or dog, just as friendly if socialized, don't need to be taken on walks. Ultimate pet.
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you chose a rodent that shits every 30 seconds where he walks and cannot be left unsupervised because he will chew everything?............... That's your counter to cat litter box problem? A pet with even more problems?

genius
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There’s lots of articles out there (by Vets) that disagree with your opinion, based on how cats naturally digest food, but owners are ultimately going to do what they want. I’ve had cats most of my adult life and no Vet I’ve went to recommended dry food or wet when it came to cats because they naturally drink less water, even if you feed them dry food, which can lead to Chronic Renal Failure and urinary crystals.
    No offense but you're being somewhat alarmist here. I think an accurate assessment of what articles and research on the matter say is that if you have to choose 1 without any other info than that it's for a cat, then go with a wet food from a good brand because it's the least likely on balance of probability to cause a problem.

That doesn't mean that it's the best choice for every cat, or that dry food will in any way whatsoever be detrimental to the health of your cat. If you're going with a reputable brand either will be equally good for most cats - and a good dry food is much better than a cheap wet food.

Like I said though, paying attention to your cats, and regular vet checkups are far more important than just picking a type of food. If your cat is not getting sufficient water your vet should pick it up and he/she will recommend going onto a wet diet. If your cat has dental problems, the your vet will likely recommend going on to a dry diet. I've asked two different vets about this and both concurred: It's pretty much a non-issue unless you're picking up specific problems. Go with a good, reputable brand, come in for regular check ups (or if you notice something not right) and you're golden.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you chose a rodent that shits every 30 seconds where he walks and cannot be left unsupervised because he will chew everything?............... That's your counter to cat litter box problem? A pet with even more problems?
    Rabbits are not rodents. They are Lagomorphs.

They were reclassified from rodents in 1912 apparently.

PS: My brother-in-law has a dwarf rabbit as pet. They are pretty enamoured with the thing. I can't say I really see the appeal over a cat or dog, but it is cute and cuddly. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-11-22 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    No offense but you're being somewhat alarmist here. I think an accurate assessment of what articles and research on the matter say is that if you have to choose 1 without any other info than that it's for a cat, then go with a wet food from a good brand because it's the least likely on balance of probability to cause a problem.

That doesn't mean that it's the best choice for every cat, or that dry food will in any way whatsoever be detrimental to the health of your cat. If you're going with a reputable brand either will be equally good for most cats - and a good dry food is much better than a cheap wet food.

Like I said though, paying attention to your cats, and regular vet checkups are far more important than just picking a type of food. If your cat is not getting sufficient water your vet should pick it up and he/she will recommend going onto a wet diet. If your cat has dental problems, the your vet will likely recommend going on to a dry diet. I've asked two different vets about this and both concurred: It's pretty much a non-issue unless you're picking up specific problems. Go with a good, reputable brand, come in for regular check ups (or if you notice something not right) and you're golden.

- - - Updated - - -

Rabbits are not rodents. They are Lagomorphs.

They were reclassified from rodents in 1912 apparently.

PS: My brother-in-law has a dwarf rabbit as pet. They are pretty enamoured with the thing. I can't say I really see the appeal over a cat or dog, but it is cute and cuddly. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    It can be a fairy angel, it walks and shits and gnaws on every cable or furniture. It's not a great pet. You will never ever let a rabbit to run in a house 24/7 while you're at work or whatever. How is it even on the same topic as cats and dogs? How? What the hell? Please explain.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It can be a fairy angel, it walks and shits and gnaws on every cable or furniture. It's not a great pet. You will never ever let a rabbit to run in a house 24/7 while you're at work or whatever. How is it even on the same topic as cats and dogs? How? What the hell? Please explain.
    As I already said, "I can't say I really see the appeal over a cat or dog". But some people seem to like them as pets. Who are you or I to argue?

(and yes it kinda relevant to the topic because it takes on the position of people who don't want a cat or dog - not that you should be making this beef with me since I never brought it up)

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    As I already said, "I can't say I really see the appeal over a cat or dog". But some people seem to like them as pets. Who are you or I to argue?
    His argument was that cat's litter box smells or is too cumbersome, and his solution - rabbit, that shits literally everywhere. You can like flees as a pet more, but it's very easy to argue they are more cumbersome than a cat.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    His argument was that cat's litter box smells or is too cumbersome, and his solution - rabbit, that shits literally everywhere. You can like flees as a pet more, but it's very easy to argue they are more cumbersome than a cat.
    Ok I get it, you're going to keep at this until I acknowledge that you're right

Pro tip: There is no "right". It's a question of personal preference and the fact that some people favour rabbits as pets seems to indicate that your assessment of their problems is overstated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    but regularly see neighbours cat shitting there
    Just like there are bad dog owners there are bad cat owners. A properly trained cat will only shit in their cat litter.
    And its so easy for it to learn it as well.
    My last 2 cats were this way:
    I got the cat home. The first thing I did was lift her on top of the cat litter. Then after she had been there for a little while I showed her where the food was.

Until I no longer had her she never pooped anywhere else than the cat litter.

The cat before that I had to drop her on the cat litter a couple of times before she got the idea.
    There done deal.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I gotta say, you went above and beyond for this cat. In the same situation most people would have surrendered him to a shelter, where he likely would have been euthanized, or abandoned him on the side of the road or something. The fact that you didn’t give up on him, speaks volumes about the type of person you are. Props to you, Celista.
    Aww, thank you. I worry about him being outside but I really try to do my best with my pets. To me, pets are family. I know I vent a lot on here about him (and as you can tell by my posts, for good reason) but he's not all bad. The vet discussed medication for behavioral management as an option and we might try that route again at some point in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Just curious if it was a stray you took in. Mine is the same way if he doesn't have access to outdoors. As long as he can go outside he is a very lovable cat. I took him in off the street.
    He came from the humane society. The information that the humane society had about him wasn't very detailed, but we had been in communication about his behavior issues (I called their behavior helpline a few times) and they told me that he came in at a time period when the shelter received a bunch of feral cats being fed by a woman living in Tillamook, OR. I don't know if that information is accurate or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I think it's equally cruel keeping a cat housebound but that's obviously a devisive opinion
    I'd say less cruel.

I've been a cat owner since I was a wee lad. We had dogs, big and small, a plethora of cats, birds, turtles, rodents, etc..

What a lot of people don't realize are that:

1. We train indoor cats to go after birds. Doesnt make much sense, since feral cats will go after birds too, but they do so to survive. They eat what they kill most times, but indoor cats are trained with toys. Small feathery things, furry things, things that dont live, breathe, breed and the like. We throw them, tease cats/kittens with them and it's adorable... but then some of those cats are allowed to go outside. Where they're not having to fight and kill to survive, but still have the instincts (Dogs can and do have these too. Where I live, dogs kill but don't eat a lot of native fauna, preferring to get their food from garbage).

2. If you love your cat (or small dogs) and you live in areas with birds of prey, coyotes and other 'smaller' predators (Cougars, etc), you run the risk of losing your pet in a gruesome, painful way. They will be frightened and incapable of defending themselves (fleeing) and their last moments will be of terror, however quick or slow that might be. This is why my cats will never be outside cats. Nor will any small dogs, should we get any (We're thinking a Husky, which would be fine once it gets to adolescence).
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Monday through Friday I was away from home 12 or more hours a day depends on traffic and weather conditions...no one to walk the dog in that 12 hours...cat was easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Just like there are bad dog owners there are bad cat owners. A properly trained cat will only shit in their cat litter.
    And its so easy for it to learn it as well.
    My last 2 cats were this way:
    I got the cat home. The first thing I did was lift her on top of the cat litter. Then after she had been there for a little while I showed her where the food was.

Until I no longer had her she never pooped anywhere else than the cat litter.

The cat before that I had to drop her on the cat litter a couple of times before she got the idea.
    There done deal.
    My cat uses the litter box perfectly when he has indoor/outdoor access, if he is kept inside only he pisses and shits everywhere and is definitely being passive aggressive about it. Training isn't the issue, nor is the boxes. I'm anal about keeping them extremely clean.

Some pets are simply more difficult than others. My dog hasn't had an accident in the house since she was a puppy, and she's 6 now.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    Ah yes, history is full of mentions of dogs being used for pest control.
    ....I'm unsure if you are being Sarcastic. Because that is literally one of the main parts of Dog/Human History.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Out of curiosity, I've been eyeing getting a rabbit. Is it true though that they'll often chew through cables and stuff?
    It is true, you can buy cable protectors, or just block off areas where the bunny can get to the wires
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Dogs are cute and fun, but i'm not a fan of picking up steaming hot shit. As well, I love cats, but don't want to smell their litter box.

I choose rabbits. Less smelly, super easy to clean up after, live as long as a cat or dog, just as friendly if socialized, don't need to be taken on walks. Ultimate pet.
    Nono, guinea pigs FTW!!

They're just two different kinds of relationships for different people

Dogs treat you like the pack alpha
    Cats treat you like an equal in a position of power

It's just different types of pets

However,I noticed it's always dog owners attacking cats and cat owners and trying to justify how cats are inferior,you rarely,if ever,see the opposite

I refuse to pickup Dog shit or cat shit I live on a farm they just go wherever they want. But on the point of Cats Vs Dogs, Cats are just rodent control I technically have 10 or so wandering around the farm I feed them, but they are expected to keep up with rodent control. Dogs are Pets/ Tools they are used for Hunting and Cat control. When the Cat population gets a bit high my Olde English Bulldog takes care of the issue, which is odd because his best friend is a Black Tom cat.