Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    No company is going to fund a game as massive as WoW was in the early 2000s, when tiny projects by comparison like Fortnite, Overwatch and LoL earn more money.

In fact, outside of MS/Sony/Nintendo 1st party projects(that are loss leaders and if they make a profit, gravy, if not fine) there are only a few companies still funding and spending time on projects that take longer then 3 years to make. Those would be Rockstar, CDPR and Square Enix. Square is probably done with that after FFVIIR as well.
    I know Bethesda's rep isn't exactly high right now, but they are currently working on two big project games, one being a brand new IP. Those two games are Starfield and ES VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    I know Bethesda's rep isn't exactly high right now, but they are currently working on two big project games, one being a brand new IP. Those two games are Starfield and ES VI.
    They have barely started work on either. Neither is in full production.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Not really. Those games came with like 3+ cinematics,epic campaigne, custom games, etc.
    Those games also had hilariously out dated graphics for the eras they released in. They where small projects. Blizzard wasn't really an AAA company until WoW. Imagine a game like WC3 was released in an era where consoles, not even talking PCs but consoles where producing games like Shenmue, Halo and MGS2. The scale dwarfs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    yet Blizzard still took the easy route and decided to merge with them
    Blizzard had no choice in the matter.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Blizzard had no choice in the matter.
    Blizzard took the easy route when they chose to sell instead of remaining independent. What happened after that is irrelevant, they sold their freedom for more financial security.

Blizzard took the easy route when they chose to sell instead of remaining independent. What happened after that is irrelevant, they sold their freedom for more financial security.
    Yes, and that was long before Activision came into the picture.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

I don't know why we're excited about it, truth be told. EA's graveyard's well known and we expect it from every studio they merge with. Why we'd expect different from Activision, I don't know.

Good thing there are strong alternatives to all of Blizzard's properties. Except SC2, I suppose.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Yes, and that was long before Activision came into the picture.
    They sold their company.

They chose money not freedom.

The people who ended up owning blizzard merged them with companies they also owned.

Nobody forced blizzard to sell, and no one should be acting like bad guy activision forced blizzard here. Blizzard sold their freedom long before you likely even played their games. Sorry for the cold hard truth.

resubbed into ff14 today after i saw their shadowbringer trailer... still subbed to wow and do my weeklies n such... but with the constant memes/crap going on with blizz vs the comunity...you get tired of it eventually..... meanwhile things like smash bros ultimate, yoshi-p... good music etc.. it feels like the japanese are more connected with american players than ... american companies are.

They sold their company.

They chose money not freedom.

The people who ended up owning blizzard merged them with companies they also owned.

Nobody forced blizzard to sell, and no one should be acting like bad guy activision forced blizzard here. Blizzard sold their freedom long before you likely even played their games. Sorry for the cold hard truth.
    That's all very special. Let's give you a Gold Star!

The statement under discussion was "yet Blizzard still took the easy route and decided to merge with them", where "them" = "Activision". And I was pointing out Blizzard did not decide to do that. Maybe they did horrible things earlier, but THAT'S NOT WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT.

Blizzard did not decide to do that.
    Actually they did, you see when you agree to sell your company you also agree to everything that happens after that because you no longer have control, and are willingly giving up that control for a short term pay day.

I'm sorry the truth isn't what you want to hear but blizzard sold it's soul for money before you knew what warcraft was.

The reaction to this has been fascinating to watch. Like the term brand loyalty is a thing but i've never seen it to the extremes i've seen on some sites with this one. Some people -probably the sort who ten years ago were getting 'addicted to world of warcraft' documentaries made about them- are going nuclear. Either their paranoid delusions of a dreaded cabal of 'hater trolls' out to 'destroy the god of games' has been proved real, somehow, or they are obi wan screaming at anakin that they were meant to destroy the sith and not join them.

Like its a american AAA game company with a very slow product output schedule. You dont grow to a certain size as a publicly traded company without turning into a corner cutting company that chases the easy buck. Its the endgame for 99% of them.

But you have people acting like their best friend betrayed them and killed their family or going full on westboro baptist church level delusional as though this invalidates all the time and money sunk into 'the blizzard brand'.

Fanboyism is god damn fascinating.

Activision is a horrible company, though Blizzard don't deserve a free pass. Activision's track record was established long ago - yet Blizzard still took the easy route and decided to merge with them despite being able to achieve immense success on its own. Furthermore, at this point a lot of the key employees who made Blizzard great back in the 'good old days' have since left, so even if it is cut loose from Activision it's not as if there's going to be a return to the company's roots.
    Blizzard was never on it's own. It was owned by Davidson and Assoc. who was a mega learning software company looking to grow into the traditional gaming space. Then Vevendi. Blizzard has always had the protection of a much larger company. Not that I necessarily agree that costs need to be cut all the time, but they have had free reign to do whatever they want for a long time. If 50% of everything they work on gets cancelled, that's a lot of money wasted if looking at it from a CFO/CEO level. Cutting costs, to try to speed up production ain't gonna cut it unless the cost cutting is non development, or redundancies in development.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Blizzard was never on it's own. It was owned by Davidson and Assoc. who was a mega learning software company looking to grow into the traditional gaming space. Then Vevendi. Blizzard has always had the protection of a much larger company.
    The difference is for the vast majority of that time, their owners were very hands-off. They knew Blizzard had a good thing going and bought them as an investment, not to fuck with them. That includes most of the time Vivendi owned them as well. I see their current slide being largely related to being crushed under the weight of their own market cap of the combined company, not necessarily a huge amount of pressure from Activision. (Although it's still there and as the old guard move on it seems ex-Activision people keep moving over...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinchyy View Post
    There is also a call for the developer to release more games more regularly following stagnating monthly active users (MUAs) across its titles.'
    It's really sad that Activision can't understand how quality is better than quantity, there's stagnated MAUs because the quality has gone down.

I seriously hope Blizzard can buy it's freedom someday.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Activision is a horrible company, though Blizzard don't deserve a free pass. Activision's track record was established long ago - yet Blizzard still took the easy route and decided to merge with them despite being able to achieve immense success on its own. Furthermore, at this point a lot of the key employees who made Blizzard great back in the 'good old days' have since left, so even if it is cut loose from Activision it's not as if there's going to be a return to the company's roots.
    Blizzard had no say. You guys act like they have ever been independant. They have been owned by somebody since nearly the beginning.

I dont think this is neecesarily a bad thing. As long as blizzard still has creative freedom etc this could be good. They absolulty should be making more games more often. I think a lot of the management at blizzard is terrible. WoW devs are not bad. Its managements fault we got WoD or Cata. Lets let this play out for a year or two before we get pitchforks out.

If only Blizzard could turn back time i promise you they would never announce Diablo Immortal at a PC majority audience at Blizzcon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James240 View Post
    If only Blizzard could turn back time i promise you they would never announce Diablo Immortal at a PC majority audience at Blizzcon.
    But they said "fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.", so doubt it.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

That's all very special. Let's give you a Gold Star!

The statement under discussion was "yet Blizzard still took the easy route and decided to merge with them", where "them" = "Activision". And I was pointing out Blizzard did not decide to do that. Maybe they did horrible things earlier, but THAT'S NOT WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT.
    Actually they did have a choice and the choose money over freedom long before Activision was in the picture. You don't get to ignore the actually history of the company just because you want a bad guy "Activision" to blame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    resubbed into ff14 today after i saw their shadowbringer trailer... still subbed to wow and do my weeklies n such... but with the constant memes/crap going on with blizz vs the comunity...you get tired of it eventually..... meanwhile things like smash bros ultimate, yoshi-p... good music etc.. it feels like the japanese are more connected with american players than ... american companies are.
    Ironically there mite be truth to that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    But they said "fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.", so doubt it.
    Wait what they said that??

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    The difference is for the vast majority of that time, their owners were very hands-off. They knew Blizzard had a good thing going and bought them as an investment, not to fuck with them. That includes most of the time Vivendi owned them as well. I see their current slide being largely related to being crushed under the weight of their own market cap of the combined company, not necessarily a huge amount of pressure from Activision. (Although it's still there and as the old guard move on it seems ex-Activision people keep moving over...)
    Do we know for a fact Vivendi didn't mess with them? Blizzard has said 50% of all their games they work on never make it. How do know Vivendi didn't force them to pull the plug. People are so quick to believe Blizzard when they said it was all about quality then, and so quick to blame Activision and not believe Blizzard today. Maybe Vivendi was forcing Blizzard to can games they felt were taking too long or wasting too much money.