Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    in my experience written applications only serve so you can avoid the "obvious" questions during an actual interview or chat.

some people give one word answers, some write essays, sometimes people put silly "idiot test" questions in their applications. it all means nothing until you get someone on voice chat to see what they are actually like.

Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    Imagine you had the chance to get into a world first guild on another realm, but would have to dedicate all your time to it.

Would you leave your friends for that opportunity?
    "A world first guild"? There is only one currently. And guess what? A friend of mine, who is part of the in-house LoL stuff and who I occasionally do WoW stuff(mainly M+) and play Destiny 2 with, is trialing in Method currently, while still raidleading in his old guild. If I could get in as well(which is a bit of a pointless discussion because I simply can't consistently play WoW enough to progress with them), sure, I would, because once the couple of weeks of progress are over, there's plenty of time to play with the guys I'm currently raiding with.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Never had a guild require me to fill out an application. Looking at your armory/logs should tell them enough about your experience and performance. Anything else can be discussed via voice. I never tried to join a cutting edge mythic guild, though. Generally I clear 50% of the current mythic raid.
    Last edited by mmocde0e53a346; 2018-11-24 at 01:30 PM.

Imagine you had the chance to get into a world first guild on another realm, but would have to dedicate all your time to it.

Would you leave your friends for that opportunity?

- - - Updated - - -

The thread was about appllications, which also may include the talk to question them in general.

Or do you prefer echo chambers?

Obviously there is, as we talk about it in this thread. And it isnt derailing a thread about "bad applications" if you actually add an argument, that applications are bad in general.
    And if you think so, you're just wrong. They serve a purpose, just not in the kind of guild that you're in. Again, there's no discussion there. You're just wrong, because you're trying to apply what works for guilds in your sphere to guilds that have completely different goals and expectations. And this is definitely derailing the thread, because it's not posting or discussing bad applications, it's a pointless "argument" about how you think that applications are bad just because they don't apply to your way of playing the game.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

See, and that is the reason we both are completely incompatible.

I would not leave my friends for any progress raiding guild. No matter if they promise me the best epics possible.
    Yes, we play the game very differently. That was very clear from your very first post in this thread. That doesn't mean either of us is playing the game wrong, which is what you're trying to paint it as.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Guys, I'm going to tell you a huge secret, keep it to yourself, ok? Nobody actually cares about applications, or what you write there, more or less. It's just a test to see if you are willing to take an hour or so of your time to fill it out properly, without writing something dumb. Because if you can't even do that, there is no reason to expect any real dedication to the guild in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    A very well thought out post, but I'm afraid it's futile because it will never make sense to them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever tried to explain to them why that system exists and if they failed, you and me will fail aswell.
    I also am not sure about reactions here. I consider applications to be dumb, but that's because my endgame is heroic, and at that threshold you don't need applications since it's puggable content. I'd never go to mythic raiders and tell them how they should handle their dudes. Taking a subpar guy that has no desire to improve is just gonna waste everyone's time.

There is, as i obviously have a completely different opinion than yours. You just dont want to allow me to have that opinion in this thread, and call it "derailing".

Exactly that. You call the moderation because my opinion differs from yours.

Ridiculous.
    No, your opinion just is not at all relevant to the topic of this thread.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    This wasn't supposed to be a thread about this, but I will respond anyway - The amount of effort you're willing to put into your application indicates the amount of effort you're putting into the game and finding a community for yourself. If you do it correctly - an app written in under 20 minutes can yield you years worth of friendship and gaming. No guild wants to invite someone without knowing some information prior to inviting you even for a voice chat.

So yeah, it KINDA is like a job, but takes like 20x less effort to get into a guild than it is to land a decent job.
    this is wrong on so many levels. u are the typical tryhard guild that raids triple the time required and has high member fluctuation and drama all the time., and worldwide rank somwhere around 1,5 k, killing the harder bosses only after a set of nerfs and overgearing them. been there too.

its just not worth the hassle to be in such a guild. Most top guilds are mostly invite-only, they approach u and ask, and i personally lean to the more casual guilds where u dont raid more than 3 times per week during progress, and still finish somewhere in the 500s, with a solid and stable team that relies on each other. Or you could just stick to casually heroic, because that is way more enjoyable than beeing in the 1,5 k ranked hardcore wannabe guild that requires written applications.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    "I don't believe you ever raided or have been in any decent guild"
    "You must've stopped raiding in wotlk or something..."
    "You are not the target audience for my guild anyway."
    "Don't worry, we aren't recruiting 8/8 normal raiders."
    "Go back to LFR."
    Just from one thread

You think guilds run around with 6 trials for one slot? What if it's a tank or heal slot? What if they have more than one open slot? Do they take on 10+ trials at a time? How do you simulate intense situations in farm content? Or do you just take your six trials per slot into the next progression?
    Of course, because compared to those people even Ahead of the Curve heroic guilds are hardcore no life nerds. What else can I say to someone who says that a guild shouldn't even need an application. That's like saying a psychiatrist doesn't need to proscribe meds, just talking to a poor individual should do the trick.
    Applications are a tool. Surely you must know this.

As for the recruiting, it happens for a different reason. The core leadership of my guild has been the same for years and years, GM in particular has been the GM ever since the guild's inception in 2010. Other officers have been in leadership since 2014 and 2015 respectively. The reason you have to replace people is because they quit the game for various reasons or they leave for better guilds, which has been the case since forever. Even top guilds have members leaving for even better guilds, and Method has people leaving cause of RL, so everyone has to replace people at some point. We've just struck a period with some core ppl leaving the game and it just all happened at the same time.
    Burn it. BURN IT!

No, i dont say you play the game wrong. I just question your attitude. And your discussion style. You are not even able to discuss properly, and to respect my opinion, and call it "derailing", which isnt what i am doing.

I am questioning applications and resumes as a way to ask to be in guild which has a complete other semantic for me than for you. I have a complete different opinion on that topic than you, and all you can do is to call it "derailing".

If you cant stand my opinion, and do not have any other arguments, i just ask to you stop your effort.
    Your "opinion" is not relevant to this thread. I've explained why repeatedly. For the kind of guild you're interested in, they're not necessary. For the kind of guild I play in, they're absolutely necessary and there's a reason they get used. There's no discussion to be had there, just different ways of playing the game, neither of which is wrong. This thread is not about that topic, it's about bad applications, which means it's not about your kind of guild.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    Good for you, not everyone is happy doing normal, LFR raids or heroic dungeons though
    And for those people there are mythic+ dungeons and heroic/mythic raids. If they want to be all super serious about it stress themselves out over it, that's on them. It's nobody's fault but their own when their butt holes are so clenched up over this game that they are unhappy with their lives. To me that is sad, and feel a deep pity for those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Raiding for some people is the pinnacle of fun in WoW, whilst I haven't done it or even played the game for years, back in the day it was definitely the thing I enjoyed on WoW the most.
    It was for me as well until the people around me got all serious about it made it less than fun. Now I play my own way rather than someone else's. It's hard to find a guild or even a tolerable group of people that want to raid for the fun of it rather than doing it solely for the loot circus clown show.

I thought this was going to be an entertaining thread about bad guild apps. Instead it is the old, tired argument about the idea of guild apps. MMO-C disappoints once again.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the guilds which lockout players because they are new to the game.

If i join a guild, it is about the people, and not about their raid progress.

Can i have fun with them in chat while we do some dungeons?

Am i compatible to the people in the guild on a social level?

I have a complete different idea about what a guild should be about than progress players. And the kind of guild i talk about needs to applications and resumes.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to discuss here. A guild that wants applications (and convincing ones at that) is a guild that first and foremost has a goal in the game, usually mythic raid clearing. You don't achieve that by taking in everyone that is polite and kind, but is terrible at following tactics.
    It seems to me that you are advocating for another kind of guild, the social one. I've been in A LOT of social guilds, like one in WotLK where everyone was a great person, but we barely got through Saurfang normal. I don't like applications either, but they are necessary if you want to be competitive in mythic raids. Being a good guy doesn't kill bosses.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    I thought this was going to be an entertaining thread about bad guild apps. Instead it is the old, tired argument about the idea of guild apps. MMO-C disappoints once again.
    I'm sorry mate, I tried. I really did my best.
    Burn it. BURN IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfarien View Post
    It would still make sense to actually know something about a person before recruiting him in advance, no?

You can learn a lot from people's personality just by skimming through their application: the effort they put into it may correlate to the effort they put into their gaming, their attitude may show whether they will be compatible with your team or not way before s/he actually joins the guild, and so on.
    Complete nonsense. The effort they put into an application correlates with the effort they put into gaming? What planet are you from?

7+ Year Old Account
    At the end of WotLK, as you brought up the example, many guilds managed to clear icecrown at the end, and in tbc karazhan was the main raid of casual guilds. And those guilds did not really need applications and resumes.
    Please just stop... just stop.
    Burn it. BURN IT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Latest post
    Disregard my last post. I was still reading through the last pages, didn't know how far the conversation had gone yet.
    To be fair, the thread IS about applications. Applications do not apply to social guilds, so I don't know why you brought up the subject, since you prefer the social aspect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    like it has been mentioned how do you know that english is not their first language and maybe it took them over 20 min to translate it all so your stuck up personality could read it, they seem to answer every question but basic like has also been mentioned. did you even do any follow up, take them on some test runs? Note to self avoid Renovo guild they all seem to be full of themselves. Heck they gave a link to logs which most people wont even do that.
    If that 5 sentences took him 20 minutes, he won't understand a thing during a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Applications are always a must if you wanna join a semi-serious guild that actually progresses on time.

There is a massive difference between top 20, top 50 and top 500 guilds, and after that around to top Top 2000 its the -mid Mythic ground- where the worst part of the Mythic community exists.
    Applications arn't needed at all to join a decent guild.
    Me and a gang of 9 others joined a guild and have now killed Zul Mythic with a one day raid schedule. With the best achived before BFA(as a group) was Nythendra Mythic prior to Odyn raid.

Applications may filter out the worst of the worst, maybe. Action talk louder than some words in a form.
    Last edited by Zulatomten; 2018-11-24 at 04:20 PM.