Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

How does cross-realm raiding work?

So I want to start raiding again (haven't been part of a raiding guild since Throne of Thunder) and need a bit of clarification on how things work...

I am on a crazy low pop server. Will I have to transfer to a new server? Can I join a guild group on my battlegroup? What are the rules/limitations of cross-realm raiding? Really don't want to re-roll, have shadowmourne etc on my DK, of the black harvest title and multiple legendaries on my Lock.. would prefer a cross-realm approach if possible!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Viggers; 2018-11-24 at 04:00 PM.

You can be invited into a group by /invite character-realm. This will not transfer you to another realm, but puts you into their group and phases you together. Just find a raid that takes you via forums/dungeon finder/communities and you're good to go.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    can I join a guild and raid on the regular cross realm?
    and if so, will it be limited by battlegroup? or can I go any guild?

Are there any restrictions on mythic cross realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post

You cannot join guilds cross realm and in case of last tier cross realm mythic raiding was enabled ~2 month after raid release. So if you want to raid with a guild and enter mythic right away you will have to transfer or find a guild on your realm.

You can't join the guild. It has the same rules as random people you are in a LFG dungeon with. The only change is you are in a raid and somebody will actually have lead. You wont be able to do mythic bosses in some cases, but seeing how you are just getting back to things there is a good chance that isn't a factor here. You can group with any group in NA if you are on a NA server or EU if you are on an EU server.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You can join a Community. Communities are the cross-realm guilds (well, without the bank and perks)

If you want to have a reliable raiding team, and preferably a guild, then I'm afraid transfer is the only option. You only listed 2 alts, so the cost won't be so high. Or try joining that 1 guild that raids on your server, there should be at least one, no? Even the lower pop realms have guilds that reliably clear heroic every tier. Unless you're looking for mythic raiding, then transfer really is the only option.

MEX....
    This is not GW2 where everything is cross server even guilds!
    This is WoW still stuck in 2005!
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

You can join a guild on a different server but only if that server is in your connected realm group eg. velen and eonar

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    You can join a Community. Communities are the cross-realm guilds (well, without the bank and perks)
    Might look into this. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    If you want to have a reliable raiding team, and preferably a guild, then I'm afraid transfer is the only option. You only listed 2 alts, so the cost won't be so high. Or try joining that 1 guild that raids on your server, there should be at least one, no? Even the lower pop realms have guilds that reliably clear heroic every tier. Unless you're looking for mythic raiding, then transfer really is the only option.
    Only two alts true, but thats still £40 and I play with my wife so thats £40 for her too...

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    You can join a guild on a different server but only if that server is in your connected realm group eg. velen and eonar
    Ok thats something I guess... still my battlegroup is crazy low pop... there is one guild 8/8M but they don't speak english. then two 2/8M but both raid 3 times a week and I can't commit to that. the rest are mostly still going in normal!

crazy how I have to pay £20 to play with a guild in 2018... come on bliz

Well, as long as you don't want to do any Mythic raiding, then there are no technical requirements to actually join a Guild - you could theoretically still play with them, be on their Discord server, etc. until the next raid tier opens and you want to do Mythic.

I'm really no expert on this, but since you're on a low-pop realm you will probably need to switch servers to find a decent raiding guild. However, I would strongly recommend you to look for a guild first, talk to them and spend as much time as possible playing with them to make sure this is really the guild where you will want to feel at home.

However, this might be the perfect time for you to look for a guild since you still have well over a month until the next raid is released.

Long-term, those 80 pounds are probably well worth it - just don't rush it, take your time to make sure the server that you're transferring to is actually a decent long-term home for you and your wife. And you also don't have to immediately transfer any alts either - once the new raid tier opens each of you will probably only play one character anyways and you can always bring your remaining alts later once you're absolutely certain that you'll actually feel at home on your new server.

So for the moment, just look for raiding guilds on other servers - talk to their recruiting officers and tell them of your situation. They'll probably put you into some kind of a Trial anyways for a couple of weeks during which you can just join their raids but without actually transferring over. Make some friends and if you like them, then make the decision to transfer.